Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers and cars, all from Kyalami SA

Drivers and cars, all from Kyalami SA

Hi,

I have access to multiple photos from many years ago. It was taken by various photographers and all honour to them whoever they may be. All these were taken in South Africa at the Grands Prix held there.

First is Graham Hill, wife Betty, Colin Chapman. Then James Hunt and Others. You, the readers might know.

Regards, Frans.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by frans; 11-23-2019 at 10:48 AM.

A few more.
    Jacques Laffite.

Jean-Pierre Jarrier.

Peter Revson.

Jackie Stewart,

UOP Shadow,

Vittorio Brambilla,

Wow, these are stunning!

1) Lunch is enjoyed at I think SA's racing chairman's house, Francis Tucker. I can see Jackie Ickx, Pam Scheckter, Jody 2) Scheckter, Denny Hulme. I'm sure others will complete the names.
    2) Petersen, Ickx, Warr, Chapman looking worried.
    3) Ken Tyrell having a word with the drivers. Plenty known faces here!
    4) Jackie Stewart takes another win.
    5) Jean-Pierre Jarrier in the UOP Shadow.

Do you have any pix of the saloon cars that ran in SA at this time..CanAm Firenzas etc ?

World Champion
    Frans,
    I am enjoying your photos very much as they show a time before we lost so many of this group such as Peter Revson, Ronnie Peterson,
    Patrick Depallier, Tom Pryce, Francois Cevert and Roger Williamson (Who did not compete here at Kyalami.)

The lunch table scene has some I recognize with Peter Revson at the front on the left with Ronnie Peterson's head just over his shoulder. I'm not sure of who is sitting with Revson. Opposite Revson with elbows on the table is Teddy Mayer, then Eion Young and Phil Kerr on the right.
    Name:  1973 SA GP group.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  178.5 KB

Also that other image showing Peter Warr brings back memories of when he interviewed me in July 1973 at Hethel, as I vainly attempted to seek a job with Team Lotus. It was a wonderful experience and he did take me to lunch.

(Ken H)

John, For you but scarce.

A few for you John, but not always the best quality.

Our Saloon car champ in both the Can-am and Mustang. Unfortunately the Can-am came too late into that series where the Perana ruled the scene. The Can-am ran away from the Perana and with ease but not for long and they stopped that series. I think that the Can-am would have been more known if the series carried on for another year or two.

Sports and GT.

Porsche 917 John Love/Richard Attwood 1970 9 Hour

Porsche 917 Jo Siffert/Kurt Ahrens 1970 9 hour

Ferrari 250LM David Piper 1966 ( hour.

Ferrari P4 Paul Hawkins

Ferrari 412 David Piper 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by frans View Post
    John, For you but scarce.

A few for you John, but not always the best quality.

Our Saloon car champ in both the Can-am and Mustang. Unfortunately the Can-am came too late into that series where the Perana ruled the scene. The Can-am ran away from the Perana and with ease but not for long and they stopped that series. I think that the Can-am would have been more known if the series carried on for another year or two.
    Thank you so much Frans.
    I am enjoying the F5000s however we have never seen many Saloon Car racers from SA.
    Of course we now know that our legendary Ford Falcon GTHO is known as the Fairmont GT there and of course you had Holden Monaros racing there as well.
    We welcome and enjoy all pix you wish to put up

We also know that there was a giant killing saloon, being the Renault Gordini piloted by Frans Cronje!

World Champion
    Some good South African Renault R 8 & R 10 information from 1964 - 1970 at this site.
    Thanks for the tip, Rhys.

http://alconi.blogspot.com/2013/05/t...lt-alconi.html

Name:  Renault 8 Alconi. 1966. Kyalami - Copy.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  182.1 KB

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-03-2019 at 12:21 AM.

I believe that one of those Renault R8 Gordini [ or South African Tuned model ] cars came to New Zealand with a South African who used to Race it ..

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    I believe that one of those Renault R8 Gordini [ or South African Tuned model ] cars came to New Zealand with a South African who used to Race it ..
    Roger,
    Is this the Renault R8 Gordini you are referring to ?
    https://www.autocar.co.nz/classic-re...ory-of-gordini

(KH)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    I know that the 2 R8 Gordinis raced in NZ currently have been created in NZ by 2 Gordini addicts ex South Africa. One known by friends and family as "Gordini Houdini", a very clever man, with more tricks up his sleeves... He also bought his road car R8G with him. (Time to open up Frans )

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Roger,
    Is this the Renault R8 Gordini you are referring to ?
    https://www.autocar.co.nz/classic-re...ory-of-gordini

(KH)
    Yes indeed, I read about in a Car magazine, unsure if Autocar as don't usually buy it but,do get a loan of mags, or see at a Medical waiting room, - nothing serious, being there.
    Oldfart, " Hast though unveiled " the Author of this post ??

He now seems to have gone into hiding

Hi,

Out of hiding again, back from Aus and 42 degrees. People living there are all going to heaven, they have hell on earth.

Yes it is my Gordini in the NZ Autocar, bought it in 1980 when it was 10 years old and still have it. I can tell a lot about the Renaults, however they weren't very common in NZ, none of the Froggies are. Always thought it could be because of the Rainbow Warrior?

Here is just an Appetiser.

The Gordinis where real giant killers in South Africa mainly due to a very clever man and driver called Scamp Porter. For the SA guys and Renault fans he was like a Caroll Shelby was for Ford. Not only Sprint races but Enduros as well. Tops in the Enduro results was probably in the 1969 Rand Daily Mail 9 hour race. Won by David Piper and Richard Attwood in a Porsche 917, then Mike D'Udy in a Lola T70, then a German team in another Porsche 908 and in 4th place Scamp Porter and Geoff Mortimer in a Renault Gordini. That is the overall results. They were helped by a characteristic Highveld thunder storm late in the afternoon and it was like some fiction movie watching the Gordini flying past the aquaplaning Porsches, Mirage Ford, Chevron, Lola T70 etc. and unlapping itself.

This thread will be a long one if we go on about the Gordinis in SA. Maybe I should start a another post about that if there is interest in it.

Regards, Frans.

Of course we want to know about Gordinis Frans

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Of course we want to know about Gordinis Frans
    YES yes yes Frans .. we do indeed - Those stubby [ square ] Blue cars with the White stripes .. are great .. keep the story g[R]o[W}ing ...