Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: George Smith - the GeeCeeEss and other cars and boats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Good to see you here with first-hand observations such as these, Trevor

I look forward to many more!

i got some parts of him yrs ago 1961 he had a place top newton rd. the story i liked best was when he took up speedbots i believe he couldent swim but he had a lifejacket and back in the 50s the Sandspit at Waiuku held races on nearly every hightide up to 50 boats would turn up even Redhead one day though he stayed out in the deep ,the time georges boat sank ,he was bobing around with a lot of mice as they had a nest in the boat a true story i believe

According to my nearly finished research on Ardun engines in NZ, the Allard is where the Ardun came from, so I assume the Caddilac was a replacement engine fairly early in its life.

Hi Trevor,
    Could you please elaborate by what you mean with "Was he not aware that the dual water pumps required quietening when high RPM became constant? He was not one to openly discuss technicalities in respect of his cars. Having attended to the water pumps, I ran a Ford V8 in all sorts of competition without the need for even a radiator fan". The GeeCeeEss still overheats so what you are talking about could be a remedy but I don't quite understand what modification to the water pump is required.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Hi Trevor,
    Could you please elaborate by what you mean with "Was he not aware that the dual water pumps required quietening when high RPM became constant? He was not one to openly discuss technicalities in respect of his cars. Having attended to the water pumps, I ran a Ford V8 in all sorts of competition without the need for even a radiator fan". The GeeCeeEss still overheats so what you are talking about could be a remedy but I don't quite understand what modification to the water pump is required.

Cheers
    Roger
    Greetings Roger,

The known fix for flat head Ford V8 engines was to knock back the output from the dual water pumps by drilling quite large holes in the rotors, or by simply breaking off part of every second rotor. Alternatively and without even removing the engine, to fit large washers in the top water outlets so as to restrict the flow.

The theory was that at higher than normal RPM, the water did not spend sufficient time within the radiator to enable the proper transfer of heat. There was also the possibility of excessive turbulence being created within the heads. Whatever, the crude fix was certainly effective.

Cheers also, Trevor.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Greetings Roger,

The known fix for flat head Ford V8 engines was to knock back the output from the dual water pumps by drilling quite large holes in the rotors, or by simply breaking off part of every second rotor. Alternatively and without even removing the engine, to fit large washers in the top water outlets so as to restrict the flow.

The theory was that at higher than normal RPM, the water did not spend sufficient time within the radiator to enable the proper transfer of heat. There was also the possibility of excessive turbulence being created within the heads. Whatever, the crude fix was certainly effective.

Cheers also, Trevor.
    Thanks Trevor - much appreciated.

Sorry Trevor, I've managed to confuse things. I was making the assumption the Allard Smith drove was Cadillac powered. Sounds like it was Ford powered?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Sorry Trevor, I've managed to confuse things. I was making the assumption the Allard Smith drove was Cadillac powered. Sounds like it was Ford powered?
    Greetings Sreve,

No apology required or called for, as a completely confusing and unconfirmed issue is involved.

After rattling all of this around in the old brain box I now can not get rid of a recollection that the Allard was actually imported without an engine. Otherwise how did he get around the strict regulations then current?

At the time, I was within my working environment constantly involved with Customs Dept. and import licensing matters, so was specially interested in this aspect of things. Importing a car was extremely difficult at the time due to import and overseas exchange restrictions. I seem recall that George was able to clear the Allard through customs based on it being an incomplete vehicle due to having no engine.

Based on a past history of importing vehicle spare parts, George could well have had access to a basic import license for spares but not vehicles as such. Without an engine the car could have been classified as being parts only, or alternatively a CKD (completely knocked down) vehicle. Either way, provided he had overseas funds on hand, Customs could have been sympathetic. There were various ways of obtaining overseas funds at a cost. Furthermore, at the time Allards were routinely being exported to the States less engines, so that exporting one in this form to NZ would have not created any logistical problems.

The alternative would involve importing the car via another person who had visited the UK and as result had been eligible for special import license. In this event the car would first have been registered in that persons name and could only have been legally transferred to another owner, after the required elapse of a considerable period. The original registration documents would prove the point either way.

Trevor.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Greetings Sreve,

No apology required or called for, as a completely confusing and unconfirmed issue is involved.

After rattling all of this around in the old brain box I now can not get rid of a recollection that the Allard was actually imported without an engine. Otherwise how did he get around the strict regulations then current?

At the time, I was within my working environment constantly involved with Customs Dept. and import licensing matters, so was specially interested in this aspect of things. Importing a car was extremely difficult at the time due to import and overseas exchange restrictions. I seem recall that George was able to clear the Allard through customs based on it being an incomplete vehicle due to having no engine.

Based on a past history of importing vehicle spare parts, George could well have had access to a basic import license for spares but not vehicles as such. Without an engine the car could have been classified as being parts only, or alternatively a CKD (completely knocked down) vehicle. Either way, provided he had overseas funds on hand, Customs could have been sympathetic. There were various ways of obtaining overseas funds at a cost. Furthermore, at the time Allards were routinely being exported to the States less engines, so that exporting one in this form to NZ would have not created any logistical problems.

The alternative would involve importing the car via another person who had visited the UK and as result had been eligible for special import license. In this event the car would first have been registered in that persons name and could only have been legally transferred to another owner, after the required elapse of a considerable period. The original registration documents would prove the point either way.

Trevor.
    That makes plenty of sense Trevor. A lot of the Allards were exported to the US without motors, as the motors were American anyway, so were just fitted on arrival. And this saved Allard some money, as it didn't mean they had to import engines for cars being sent to the US.

So where do you suppose the Ardun heads were sourced?

Here are some Ardun heads (NOS) for sale on eBay at US$16,500 :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flath...0#ht_500wt_956

Boy, those are nice! Those are the Orosco Arduns which are exactly the same as the originals. From what I have read the current Ferguson Ardun heads are much improved over the originals and far more user friendly for everyday hot rodding.

Thanks Simon, would be great to see that Hot Rod mag article posted up here. I'd love to read it.

Thanks Gavin, much appreciated. Nah, didn't see any Ardun stuff. Kept hoping I would. Grease Martin was supposed to be in the book but we couldn't get the timing right to do the photos. I think he may have some Ardun heads. Or am I mistaken?

Yep, Grease has some, used to run them on the 32 Coupe.

Semi-Pro Racer
    http://www.ardun.com/ardun_pictures.htm,
    http://www.ardun.com/ardun_histrory.htm,
    A couple of sites where the now Ardun heads are made and marketed.

The Imageshack pictures - can't see them, so here is the GeeCeeEss as I saw it

Name:  Dunedin Festival 1984 #43 The Gee Cee Ess in action #1 v2, CCI11112015_0001 (2) (800x594).jpg
Views: 765
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  Dunedin Festival 1984 # 45 The Gee Cee Ess on the grid CCI11112015_0003 (800x541).jpg
Views: 708
Size:  159.2 KB

Name:  Dunedin Festival #42 The Gee Cee Ess, in the pit area v2, CCI11112015 (2) (800x650).jpg
Views: 838
Size:  182.9 KB

these are from the Dunedin 1984 Historic meeting

Cee Cee Ess at Ardmore 1989

Name:  Spin-CeeCeeEss-Ardmore-89.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  171.6 KB

Name:  CeeCeeEss-Ardmore-89.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  173.7 KB

Chelsea Hillclimb 2010

Name:  Chelsea-CeeCeeEss2010.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  184.2 KB

Name:  Chelsea-CeeCeeEss10.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  169.8 KB

Seems about the best time to reboot this one!