Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: KATO SPECIAL

  1. #1

    KATO SPECIAL

    somethink new to talk about besides the custaxie ,i would like to hear some talk on this car and maybe you can put some photos of it up to look at. i know a bit about this car that was driven at racing speed from auckland to palmerston north and back.all this went on in 1968 with racing rubber from jim clarks f1 car, the first part of the trip started allright till this little red anglia pulled up beside the kato special and wanted to race.shit what a race that was,at very high speed something went in the back end of the kato and it went a bit side ways had to back out of that race .on the way back from palmerston north it did it allso in mangaweka ,racing again with a car but this time stopped to have a good look at what was going on with it. got going again it was great racing around the old mangaweka roads ,back racing with this car again all going well till the gear lever came away leaving an inch out of the gearbox. got some vise girps out of the toolbox fixed it got back into racing this car in front of me ,in the end had to stop before someone got killed.so lets talk about this car and put up some good photos of the kato special.

  2. #2
    Have a look on the Sports Cars thread, I posted a period photo there.

  3. #3
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Have a look on the Sports Cars thread, I posted a period photo there.
    buggered if I can find it...exactly which Sports car thread OF?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    buggered if I can find it...exactly which Sports car thread OF?
    Sport Cars of Yesteryear post #2, my fault, should have been more specific!

  5. #5
    the old kato special was traded in at jim boyd motors for a standard 10 van,the kato special was sold on and pulled apart to have the back end repaired. it ended up its days under a house on the ground rotting away in mt roskill,years later i was walking around at manfeild and there was this car that someone was calling the kato special, so i just had to stop and have a look see as you would.just like a lot of cars that turn up saying that they are this and that,ok they look like the old cars but they go and put mag wheels on-alloy radiators-electric fans-dry sump it. the list goes on now if you are going to make up a car that has raced before do your home work first ,because there will be some out there who know about the old car that was out there.i would say if it was 95% like the old car that would be all right in my eyes.

  6. #6
    Name:  kato shrunk.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  16.8 KBVery true.
    There seem to be 2 schools of thought.
    1) have to be as fast as possible. With cars like the original Kato, you have to pick a period to rebuild to. The photo above was a case in point.This is as it was used at the GP meeting 67 according to my 16 year old schoolboy writing at the time. The wheels are massive, engine was a pushrod Ford. Previous to this it had a variety of engines, wheels etc. Now it is immaculate, body is not the same, wheels?
    2) Put it back like it was.
    Where it all goes wrong is finding a place to run it. The "factory" cars have various places. An NZ sports car is another kettle. Run with HRSCC and have U2s, Lotus etc? Run with Vintage and be all pre 1961 mechanicals? South Island another issue again.

  7. #7
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    736
    This one from 15 months earlier (Paritutu)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    what about the humber jaguar,did it start off with a 4 in it, a zephyr- and last the jag motor. can you tell me the way they built this car up, and do you have some good photos of this car that you can put up.

  9. #9
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    736
    I presume you're talking about the Radisich allcomer?

    In 1964 Radisich raced a Mk2 Zephyr with an ex-Sprague engine. For the following season he dropped the engine into a Humber 80 - from memory the car was a Series I but I don't know whether it had been raced by an earlier owner with its original engine. The Zepyhr of course passed to Rod Coppins who popped a Corvette engine into it

    For 1966 Frank replaced the engine with one from a crashed Jaguar XK150

    I don't know anything about the Humber 80's construction methods, but do know the six-cylinder engines went a long way back into the passenger compartment!

  10. #10
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,866
    Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    what about the humber jaguar,did it start off with a 4 in it, a zephyr- and last the jag motor. can you tell me the way they built this car up, and do you have some good photos of this car that you can put up.
    http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...Lost-Race-Cars
    check Bob Homewood's post #14

  11. #11
    A couple of things that I am sure I have mentioned on here the Kato got the bigger wheels in the "fit huge Firestones to everything "days ,and the Dave Jolly Humber beginnings I covered in my earlier post,there was certainly nothing trick in its original form

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    I presume you're talking about the Radisich allcomer?

    In 1964 Radisich raced a Mk2 Zephyr with an ex-Sprague engine. For the following season he dropped the engine into a Humber 80 - from memory the car was a Series I but I don't know whether it had been raced by an earlier owner with its original engine. The Zepyhr of course passed to Rod Coppins who popped a Corvette engine into it

    For 1966 Frank replaced the engine with one from a crashed Jaguar XK150

    I don't know anything about the Humber 80's construction methods, but do know the six-cylinder engines went a long way back into the passenger compartment!
    If I remember rightly, the Jag engine in Frank's Humber/Hilman was beside him inside the car and there was a tricky gear selector back to the gearbox.
    PK.

  13. #13
    World Champion ERC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Auckland, North Shore
    Posts
    3,912
    I know this thread probably died sometime ago, but whilst yet another time consuming (and often frustrating) scanning session, where the scanner refuses to stay in focus, I thought I may as well post this from the Domain Hillclimb 2003, May 4th.

    Name:  203_0504_09 Kato.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  90.9 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 07-16-2018 at 01:03 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    I know this thread probably died sometime ago, but whilst yet another time consuming (and often frustrating) scanning session, where the scanner refuses to stay in focus, I thought I may as well post this from the Domain Hillclimb 2003, May 4th.

    Name:  203_0504_09 Kato.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  90.9 KB
    Hi I have a photo taken at the Kerepahe sprint I think it was light blue not sure who was driving. Around.....1963-4? Will try and find it

  15. #15
    So what mechanicals did the car have during its lifetime?

    That is surely the interesting part...

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    So what mechanicals did the car have during its lifetime?

    That is surely the interesting part...
    That list would be about as long as the encyclopedia Britannica! From some of what I remember, 1172, non crossflow. A good friend of mine did the chassis "rebuild" for a customer who specified what he wanted and it became very little like the original. de Joux body originally as per the early photo.

  17. #17
    The rear guards seem to be formed straight from an Austin Healey...

  18. #18
    World Champion ERC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Auckland, North Shore
    Posts
    3,912
    Whenuapai 1996
    Name:  196_0225_103 Kato.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  104.4 KB

    Chelsea Hillclimb 1997
    Name:  197_1123_321 Kato Special.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  84.0 KB

  19. #19
    World Champion ERC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Auckland, North Shore
    Posts
    3,912
    Similar? Paton Ford 1983.
    Name:  183_0305_01 Paton Ford.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  124.6 KB

  20. #20
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Olivos, California, 93441
    Posts
    2,866
    Back in the day I knew a Chris Kay and John Paton in Morrinsville. Are they connected to these vehicles ?

    Ken H who has been away too long !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •