Thread: Article: Tomy Drissi And The Chaparral Camaro

Article: Tomy Drissi And The Chaparral Camaro

I just love this video of racer Tomy Drissi taking his Chaparral Camaro for a blast around his local neighborhood streets, and even doing burnouts on the pad outside his building.

Tomy owns the Camaro originally built and raced by Jim Hall's Chaparral team as a factory entry in the 1970 SCCA Trans-Am series. Chaparral built three Camaros for the 1970 season, after taking over the factory Chevy deal when Penske Racing switched to running AMC Javelins. Jim Hall drove one of the Camaros himself, with Ed Leslie in the other. Indeed, this was the last car Jim Hall ever raced before retiring as a driver.

Its cool that guys like Drissi don't go wrapping these valuable old cars up in cotton wool. They were built to race and drive fast, and you can see the Camaro is just loving it.

Turn the sound up!

Chaparral Camaro the #1 Team Car 1970 SCCA series.

Impressive ;
    I didn't realise the background to Chaparral, Jim Hall and Hap Sharp being the " Official " Team for Chevrolet, after Penske changed to AMC Javelins with Mark Donohue..

My experience of the car - limited to this - purchased from John B, of TRS and SPR Models, a TRS sponsor and contributor.
    Model by " Spark "
    - True Scale Models TSM made a version of the second car in the team - this one came 4th in the SCCA series in 1970

Name:  Modesl #1122 Chaparral Camaro LHS 2020_03_02_1365 (800x520) (2).jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  Models #1123 Chaparral Camaro fr 2020_03_02_1366 (800x533) (2).jpg
Views: 4018
Size:  84.7 KB

Name:  Models #1125 Chaparral Camaro rear 2020_03_02_1368 (800x522) (2).jpg
Views: 4123
Size:  84.9 KB

Journeyman Racer

Signed photo of Camaro in the day.
    Vic Elford signed this for Wesley Sweet one of the Team Chaparral mechanics. Troy Rogers known as the Chief was also on the car.