Thread: Ohakea

Ohakea

1950 I beleive was the the first year here, what other years has the been events at Ohakea pleas folks?

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    1950 I beleive was the the first year here, what other years has the been events at Ohakea pleas folks?
    There were races every year from1950 to 1956. The 1957 and 1958 meetings were scheduled but later cancelled because the airport was required while Palmerston North Airport was being rebuilt. Events were again held from 1959 to 1961 and the final two meetings were held in February and December 1962.

I can recall three "Reunion Meetings" being run in 1982, 1984 and 1990. I'm not sure if there have been any more recent events there.

wow, interesting re the palmy airport thing. with this covid thingy and people coming into nz and being asked to self isolate for a couple of weeks and the government happy that their word was enough i often wondered why they didn't fly everyone into ohakea and have a thousand campers vans there and simply do the job once and do it properly. brutal but effective in my view. yip power issue for the vans would have been a problem, careful planning with lighting options and meals outside would reduce the need for a mains supply....

Vercoe's book has a couple of good photos of the start lineups for the 55 and 56 races.

World Champion