Thread: Kerry Grant

Kerry Grant

Kerry has passed. Very sad. When the news came that he was not well I guess many feared for the worst, and hoped for the least suffering. Such a nice guy, with immense talent, and some of the best prepared cars of his time. RIP Kerry. Best wishes to his family and friends.

Very sad to read this tonight. He had a very special talent which was great to watch. God speed Kerry.

World Champion
    January 1967 was a tough month for 3 of my boyhood heroes.
    First I was sorry that Bruce McLaren was too busy with his team to come out to NZ for the Tasman Series.
    2nd was learning that another I admired, Donald Campbell, had died speeding across Coniston Water in Lancashire on Jan. 4th.
    Later that week, another of my heroes, Kerry Grant, was badly burnt in an accident at Pukekohe that ended his fine racing career.

I recently found this photo I took of Kerry at Taupo in Taupo, I think with two of his granddaughters. January 2018. Two years before his untimely death.
    Name:  DSCN9271 - Copy.JPG
Views: 574
Size:  158.1 KB

(Ken H )

World Champion
    The car that Kerry had his accident in was a Brabham BT 11 Chassis F1/4/64 that had been part of the 1965 Brabham Formula One Team and driven mostly by Dan Gurney before it was modified for the Tasman Series and driven then by Frank Gardner before Kerry.

Name:  1966. Kerry Grant in Brabham.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  59.4 KB
    Kerry Grant in the Brabham at Renwick, November 1966.

Name:  1965 Mex-Brabham8Gurney.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  124.0 KB
    Dan Gurney in the same Brabham at the 1965 Mexican F1 GP. October 1965.

( Ken H )