Thread: No More Street circuits after 1966, Dunedin 1968-9 circuit query

No More Street circuits after 1966, Dunedin 1968-9 circuit query

ANZCC, now motorsport new zealand put the stops on street circuits in 1966 I understand yet in 1968 and 1969 there was combined street circuit with carts bikes and cars on the wharf.
    I know classic Racing came along and the likes of Waimate, Dunedin and others ran street circuits, but how did these two meetings in Dunedin come about folks?

Dunno, but we had the Whangarei street race January 2000. Albeit, MSNZ stepped in at the last minute and banned many larger engined or faster cars so the meeting ran at a considerable loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Dunno, but we had the Whangarei street race January 2000. Albeit, MSNZ stepped in at the last minute and banned many larger engined or faster cars so the meeting ran at a considerable loss.
    i'm talking open class cars here, likely that one was a classic meeting?

Yes, it was a classic meeting. Circuit map, if that is of any help.

Name:  200_0100 Whangarei - Copy.JPG
Views: 520
Size:  79.5 KB

In 1956 there was a minor change in the Dunedin circuit...

The section of Ward Street near the railway bridge came into use, is it possible that the 1955 and earlier version of the circuit had to change because of a new railway overpass being built?

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    ANZCC, now motorsport new zealand put the stops on street circuits in 1966 I understand yet in 1968 and 1969 there was combined street circuit with carts bikes and cars on the wharf.
    I know classic Racing came along and the likes of Waimate, Dunedin and others ran street circuits, but how did these two meetings in Dunedin come about folks?
    sorted now, the 1968 and 69 meetings have cars bikes and karts on the cover, the latter two ran laps, the cars were drag races so there was no circuit racing there.