Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wings & Wheels Spectacular at Pukekohe

Semi-Pro Racer

Unknown Car

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    1958 Elva FJ

Unknown
    The single-seater is the Connaught (B3) "Toothpaste-Tube", and behind it Lister-Jaguar (? ex Ecurie Ecosse) both owned at the time by Peter Leuch, I believe.

Both cars were seriously damaged/destroyed in a factory fire in the 1980's, I recall.

Stu

Great photos paul not peter now back in Austria,lister rebuilt in christchurch connaught rebuilt back in UK??

Admore reunion at Puke 30 yrs. 1983 Great shots top photo Maserati 3500? yellow Max fisher gineta tony herbits

Sadly driver of old Stuebaker was killed in it driving on the road not long after,Allard was Rob Boult fitted with a race cadilac mtr,.NO 6 Bruce Radford I think Paton was mine,one of the best days of my life!!

Great photos two different meetings quite a lot of vidio coverage of both was taken..Drivers at the Admore included,,Ray Archibald Paul Fahey Rod Coppins {in his replica ford} Dennis Marwood,,Bob Gibons {D Type driver} Graham Pierce,Barry Philips Allan Woolfe,Angus Hislop ect, plus Tony Gaze not racing photos above incude Peter Bruin,Rob Whitehouse {cooper bristol and xk 120 the ex Archibald championship winner}Martin Morris D type {uk} the 4clt Maser was Rob Boults differnt meet than one with the Allard

Jim Boyd standing beside 8cLT in blue pants

World Champion
    The Lago-Talbot would have been over January 87? I recall a historic component of the International season, think there may even be a pic of it on here somewhere from Wellington, either that or I have seen it on one of your sites on Photobucket or Flickr.
    Can't remember the guy who drove was a longish name like Pilkington, he was in his 50's. Dave Silcock raced a Cooper 500, I think it broke down in one of the races at Manfield on the Saturday.

I think it was 88.my rsr had a nut go through a piston!!!and missed the race but my son and I filmed the historics at puke and Manfield sponsored by Lyle and Scott Jim Boults knittwear fac.Queenstown I think,,Richard was the Largo drivers name, cant remember Daves Cooper Vincent breaking down but it was very potent when running,Martin drove his D on the roads to events,, the chap in the red Lotus 10 a rare car took his life latter on!! Jim Boult is in the Cooper Bristol with the yellow nose,I think some days its posible to doubt your own mem.as the yellow was the Whaton car I think

Just noticed xk behind brown E Type pos.the Dave Silcock car he raced before the Mk 2{some yrs, later!}

World Champion
    It was the year Thackwell and David Brabham came over in the Team Australia Pacifics and Thackwell losing his wheel going down to the hairpin at Wellington. The Man is Richard Pilkington. I was just mowing the lawns and a moment of inspiration reminded me. I remember seiing pics of him competing in it from (I think) the 1977 Automobile Year in what I think was an historic GP from Dijon. Was it Peter Leitch driving the Lister Jag?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, Richard Pilkington (though he would only have been 49 in 1988!). He's still racing now, at 70+

Would have been Paul Leuch in the Lister (as I think someone's already mentioned)

The Cooper-Bristol was painted up like Wharton's car, but was not the real thing

And Dave Silcock's Cooper "500" was of course a 1000 (or even 1100)

Yes David thats the meeting you rubished the Paton ,Diferent body diferent motor and diferent wheels!!!! you have never been forgiven!!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Did I? It was a long time ago....

By the same token the 8 Oclock gave great coverage sometimes up to 4~ 5 pages I still have some very brown copys of Admore ,One in particula the front cover has Ken Wharton after coming out of the monza!!lying on the track never have I been so stunned ,in the best car half a lap ahead to crash just in front after getting out on the marbles just out of the cloverleaf ,nearly made it back on just a few yards,,

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    It was the year Thackwell and David Brabham came over in the Team Australia Pacifics and Thackwell losing his wheel going down to the hairpin at Wellington. The Man is Richard Pilkington. I was just mowing the lawns and a moment of inspiration reminded me. I remember seiing pics of him competing in it from (I think) the 1977 Automobile Year in what I think was an historic GP from Dijon. Was it Peter Leitch driving the Lister Jag?
    The wheel off the Pacific incident, if it was the support race for Mobil 500 wasn't it Davy Jones and i got video of it bouncing along, hitting large piece of wood and out over the big fence and off bouncing along the road until it found the back of a Subaru. One rearranged Subaru. No one hurt but what could have been.

Not sure what,but the wheel was not the same as these shots ,the first ones are 1983 at puke the others are 88at puke the Weiington historics ran several times Paul Leuch won the ist in morgan v8,not sure about the others. I ran 86 I think very wet Soames Langton {UK} Lister Jag.a young chap came out to drive his dads car,as it was on the way when his dad was killed ,I think he some how fell out of a single seater and was run over.Soames drove the lister like a dodgem ,,the first corner he misjudged at least 8 times powerslidtng around the wrong way all caught on tape Alan De Cadeneigh??drove a conaught that droped so much oil over several laps before he was stopped..The race started in the rain I was back towards halfway,the brakes on the Paton that normally were very good seemed to taking further to stop,I put it down to not raced for several years and the Porsche had real good brakes that I was driving every month so to speak .Anyhow back to the story I was thankfull to be nowhere near the Lister ,then just before the flag he pulls up along side me.I could stay with him to the first corner the hairpin around the concrete slabs up to the right hander through an archway of sorts then hard left into the straight .He had no show of making the left turn straight ahead he went into the brick wall !! Hell I thought what a waiste of a good car ,halfway down the straight so much spray when he goes past me unbelevable, I could hang on to him my car was great in the wet but approaching the one lane bridge we had past some cars when he shot passed the Allard ,then the Allard pulled in behind him I should have ran into the back but some how instinxxk takes over not to hit,so braking on the wet track sliding forever sideways untill !!! driving back past the all the pits with the back scraping away not that exciting

Sorry to see that had heard he not well ,the south island cars at Wellington were planning to hang him he nudged 5 or 6 of them in the rain.I met him again at the 87 Silverstone G P .he drove a small can am type car against Foulston.s M8 David Franklin M6 ect a larger than life chap

Semi-Pro Racer
    He also got to be a much better driver than he seems to have been then!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Could some of my photos possibly be from the Puke round of the Nissan Mobil race in 86 ? I wonder if they got mixed up as I have just been watching video footage of the Classic Sports and Racing Cars in Wellington and many of them seem to be in my photos. Sorry for the confusion. They have had many moves and lots of bad storage over the years hence the poor state of some of them.
    seaqnmac27's comment re the Thackwell Brabham Ralts made me wonder as I found a photo of them in another box.