Thread: Queenstown street races

Queenstown street races

Hi folks, i'm researching motorcycle racing in nz and believe they raced with the cars at queenstown.
    I have programmes for 1990, 1993 and 1994 none show motorcycles, does anybody have other programmes from queenstown and can tell me which years racing was held there and which years if any bikes were included please?
    I am in the final stages of putting together a book on motorcycle road racing circuits, a number carried cars too
    thanks
    Graeme
    Last edited by jellywrestler; 01-13-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Hi folks, i'm researching motorcycle racing in nz and believe they raced with the cars at queenstown.
    I have programmes for 1990, 1993 and 1994 none show motorcycles, does anybody have other programmes from queenstown and can tell me which years racing was held there and which years if any bikes were included please?
    I am in the final stages of putting together a book on motorcycle road racing circuits, a number carried cars too
    thanks
    Graeme
    Sorry, no bikes ever raced during Queenstown Street Races

Hello Graeme, Do you have Whakatane street races in the 1950s on your list?

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Hello Graeme, Do you have Whakatane street races in the 1950s on your list?
    yes i do thank you, have several programmes

Quote Originally Posted by DJMcD View Post
    Sorry, no bikes ever raced during Queenstown Street Races
    Do you have the programmes to back this up please? I'm writing a book on road racing motorcycle circuits and really need my info to be spot on.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Do you have the programmes to back this up please? I'm writing a book on road racing motorcycle circuits and really need my info to be spot on.
    Don't need a programme, I was a member of every organising committee,. Chairman for one year and co-commentator for all meetings. Take it from me, there were never any motorcycle races. Once we had a scooter race during lunchtime entertainment with local celebs aboard but I don't think they would count!

Don't need a programme, I was a member of every organising committee,. Chairman for one year and co-commentator for all meetings. Take it from me, there were never any motorcycle races. Once we had a scooter race during lunchtime entertainment with local celebs aboard but I don't think they would count!
    Thank you for outlining that. your original post didn't mention that you had any credentials to back this up simply. My book was delivered to the printers yesterday for pre production copies, there's still a few things to sort before publication however. It is approx 240 pages long. Could you imagine if I took any and every comment from the internaughty, from any old body, and printed such things there would be an uproar particularly from people like yourself who have intimate knowledge on things when this thing hits the bookshelves? I'm covering approx 140 road racing circuits back to 1928 too, it hasn't been an easy journey.

But it must have been an interesting journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    But it must have been an interesting journey.
    extrememly intersting, every bit of it.

Well it turns out there was Motorcycle racing at Queenstown one year despite your expert information, 157 circuits covered in the book, over 550 copies now sold