Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: OSCA 40th Reunion

Evan, is the blue #43 Capri your dads (and yours) old car?

Also, the other blue Capri, what was this cars history before Ian Shrimpton had it? Or did Shrimpton build it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Evan, is the blue #43 Capri your dads (and yours) old car?
    Hi Steve, no its the ex Fisher/Elvy & others capri, just a fluke a previous owner put number 43 on it. Our Capri now lives in Fielding and Keith Tunnicliffe owns it. He is restoring it to a previous guise, maybe the Silver/Black with the big boxy flares from 1980-82.

It was originally built by Jim Kennedy then run by Bob Slade and I know Steve Vigurs also ran it approx 1981 then I'm guessing Shrimpton...Obviously Mike Fitzgerald also ran it and won OSCA approx 1989/90 in it.
    Last edited by Munty; 11-15-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks Evan. Did it (the Kennedy/Slade etc Capri) always have those big flares on it? I know it did when Shrimpton had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    Hi Steve, no its the ex Fisher/Elvy & others capri, just a fluke a previous owner put number 43 on it. Our Capri now lives in Fielding and Keith Tunnicliffe owns it. He is restoring it to a previous guise, maybe the Silver/Black with the big boxy flares from 1980-82.
    Ahhh, yes that makes sense. It was the #43 that confused me, as the Munt family Capri traditionally had that number. I thought for a moment Tunnicliffe had just thrown some blue paint at your old car. So the car pictured above, the Fisher Capri, is the same one that Clyde Collins and Avon Hyde ran in the early 80s? It had quite different flares on it back then, more like 1972 ETCC RS2600 flares.

I think so Steve but someone else might need to confirm that....I was only about 3 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Evan. Did it (the Kennedy/Slade etc Capri) always have those big flares on it? I know it did when Shrimpton had it.
    As I remember this car here in Greymouth , as I was so much younger than today ) it was built with the more conventional rounded flares . Bob would have a much better knowledge of this .

Semi-Pro Racer
    The car when built by Kennedy & then raced by Slade had the round flares, I have a pic somewhere of the Vigurs car on the grid for the Southern 200/ in ChCh, but are we sure that one of those two blue cars is not the ex Frank Ryan thru Alan Pulley car?

Thanks Jac. Now I'm getting confused. The Ryan car to the best of my knowledge had the RS2600 style flares fitted very early on, when it was still Ford powered. This is the car later raced by Avon Hyde. The Slade car as you say had the rounded flares early on. In fact, I've seen a photo somewhere of it when Slade had it and I don't think it even had a rollcage?

So the two blue Capri's pictured above are both the Slade car and the Ryan car?

Name:  Top.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  53.3 KB

The Frank Ryan car as it was at Teretonga October 12th 1975,this was its debut meeting apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    The car when built by Kennedy & then raced by Slade had the round flares, I have a pic somewhere of the Vigurs car on the grid for the Southern 200/ in ChCh, but are we sure that one of those two blue cars is not the ex Frank Ryan thru Alan Pulley car?
    The Allan Pulley Capri is the Fisher/Elvy Capri therefore the Ryan car. Allan crashed it at Teretonga and I sent him our guard moulds so he could fix it. Thats why it looks different to when Fisher/Elvy had it.
    Hopefully that clears up any issues???

Weekend Warrior

Red face

Hi everyone, I was just sent a link to this site two days ago and have been reading and looking back through all the old photos and it has been great to see all the photos of the cars, it brings back some memories from a very long time ago and it's nice to see so many of them came out for the reunion, Including my favorite car from the OSCA series which was Trevor Crowes Starlet. I dug through all of my Dads photos today and thought I would post them here. I will post all of them here rather than split them up, I won't mention his name although I am sure some of you will know right away. I just think there are some really good old photos here worth sharing although I know they may not all be OSCA related but like all the photos I have seen on here I think They are worth showing.

[IM

Weekend Warrior

Last edited by Nick Slade; 11-18-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior

Hey Nick, welcome to the site. Its great to have you here. Thanks heaps for posting these photos, they're absolutely magic! The fastback Anglia at the top of Post #75 looks like the old David Simpson/Frank Radisich Allcomer car with standard front sheet metal fitted. Is it the same car?

Did the V8 Capri come before or after the Mustang? I have a feeling it was after, but that can't be right, the Capri was potentially a better car.

There is a recent photo supplied by Roaring Season member Eagle512 on Post #76 of the below thread that shows your Dad is still keeping busy: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...ula-5000/page4

Semi-Pro Racer
    I agree on the No.79 car. Possibly Francis Ernest Sprague at the wheel

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks, the Anglia was built by my dad from a street car around 1970, it was left hand drive because of steering rack that my dad used and the position he mounted it he realized when you turned wheel left the wheels turned right so it was easier for him at that stage to make it LHD. He made it a fastback Almost right after he built it. The car went to the Wellington area but Dad does not know who it was that had the car next. The Capri was before the mustang and I will try to post more info on these sometime soon

World Champion
    Name:  Saloons at Pukekohe 3.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  45.4 KB
    Just wondering then based on the pics of the Vuyk Stilletto is this is it? and did it end up in the hands of Bryan Bate?