Thread: Doghouse Owners Club - Womans Motor Racing Associates Club

Journeyman Racer

Doghouse Owners Club - Womans Motor Racing Associates Club

I thought I would share a little something that I found on a local trading web sight it is a plate made for the Doghouse Owners Club this is the name given to the Womans Motor Racing Associates Club a charitable organization founded in 1962 by the wives and girlfriends of the F1 racing drivers at that time. the organization raised funds for charitable causes such as supporting burns beds in hospitals and medical research and was also a way to keep the wives occupied. this plate seems to be one of the first of 200 made to raise funds in 1962-3 and includes the facsimile signatures of many drivers of those years including Bruce McLaren, Graham Hill, Innes Ireland, and Sterling Moss and others. it seems an odd thing to turn up 60 years later in New Zealand. I purchased it for a very reasonable price and it will be added to my collection of racing memorabilia and books. it would be interesting to see how many others are still out there.Name:  IMG_20210819_151332 (2).jpg
Views: 960
Size:  185.2 KBName:  IMG_20210819_151340 (2).jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  159.3 KB

What a great find, A Club known as the " Dogbox Club " I believe, fund-raised for safety equipment and other items at Pukekohe in the 1960's 70's and maybe on from then.
    It was the wives and families of Racing Drivers and racing event Officials of the day, and not just the big names.
    Maybe the same group.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    What a great find, A Club known as the " Dogbox Club " I believe, fund-raised for safety equipment and other items at Pukekohe in the 1960's 70's and maybe on from then.
    It was the wives and families of Racing Drivers and racing event Officials of the day, and not just the big names.
    Maybe the same group.
    Replying to my own comment;

The New Zealand " Dog Box Club " was indeed based on the " Doghouse Owners Club " in the UK.. A note that I recently found stated that the Dog Box Club raised funds that helped with a Fire Truck for Baypark.

Journeyman Racer
    Cheers Roger

Wow, what an amazing discovery! Thanks so much for posting.

Was it the DBC that used to put on a BBQ after race meetings to raise funds?

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Was it the DBC that used to put on a BBQ after race meetings to raise funds?
    Allan, yes believe so - at the end of the race meeting - the ladies gave their drivers a feed, and a beer !!.

I remember it at Pukekohe but can't comment on Baypark.

Journeyman Racer
    Heres a full list of the drivers signatures on the plate clockwise from the top
    Jim Clark
    John Surtees
    Bruce Mclaren
    Stirling Moss
    Jack Fairman
    Graham Hill
    Innes Ireland
    Roy Salvadori
    Ian Burgess
    Trevor Taylor
    Jack Sears
    Jack Brabham

one of these early plates just turned up on Ebay for 500 British pounds so there must still be a few around. price seems a bit high mine was just a fraction of that. lucky me

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
    Heres a full list of the drivers signatures on the plate clockwise from the top
    Jim Clark
    John Surtees
    Bruce Mclaren
    Stirling Moss
    Jack Fairman
    Graham Hill
    Innes Ireland
    Roy Salvadori
    Ian Burgess
    Trevor Taylor
    Jack Sears
    Jack Brabham

one of these early plates just turned up on Ebay for 500 British pounds so there must still be a few around. price seems a bit high mine was just a fraction of that. lucky me
    Well done,

A good score then !, ;
    - So was a certain book you sent me and it turns out there is a family connection in the book - an Uncle of mine is mentioned in the " Where are they Now ? " section of " Flat to the Boards ".
    Jack Boot, who passed away in 1945, was the brother-in-law of my Dad's brother Ed Dowding, both Jack and Ed were part of the group that formed the Northern Sports car Club in 1942/43. Jack owned Bugley the Bugatti T32 chassis and Riley engine that Arthur Dexter created from the ex- Roycroft [ A J Roycroft ] Bugatti, and son Ron drove Bugley for Jack in 1944/45 before he moved on to the Rubber Duck Austin 7 around 1948/49. Good memories.

Journeyman Racer
    Glad to hear you are enjoying the book the family connection is great. the book should be on every ones shelf I see prices on trade me are up around $75 the book could do with a reprint I'm sure there would be a demand for it.

Hi, It looks like we have the same plate, I've had mine for around ten years. Cheers, Richard.

Name:  Plate 1.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  112.0 KBName:  Plate 2.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  63.7 KB

Journeyman Racer
    Nice

The other Club - The Dog Box Club in New Zealand

The Dog Box Club in New Zealand,

Interestingly the latest issue of New Zealand Classic Driver, [ issue 97 Sept-Oct 2021 ] has as part of an article about Barry Phillips, a few lines about the Dog Box Club and an image of the badge [ Dogbox Club in the text ] and the here is a photo of one of their BBQ's and photos of the Fire Trucks, a Ford Ranchwagon and the Dodge " Fire Boss " that was at Baypark.

The Dog Box Club executive the " Wags " were Jeanette Phillips, President, Kath Fahey, Secretary and others such as Margaret Boyle and Fay Richards.
    It states the club was indeed based on the UK Club " originally set up by Bette Hill ".

Images from the magazine ;

Name:  Motoring Books #0121 NZ CD Sept Oct 2021 P 66 Dog Box Club IMG_20210929_154523 (2) (563x800).jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  145.1 KB

The Logo
    Name:  Motoring Books #0122 NZ CD Sept Oct 2021 Dog Box Club Logo IMG_20210929_154533 (3) (800x793).jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  146.3 KB

Club BBQ - Don Davie and Steve Millen cook sausages - Jack Inwood photo.
    Name:  Motoring Books #0123 NZ CD Sept Oct 2021 Photo Dog Box Club BBQ Jack Inwood IMG_20210929_154547 .jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  155.8 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-29-2021 at 06:22 AM.