Thread: Lycoming Special memorabilia real life art

Journeyman Racer

Lycoming Special memorabilia real life art

Having including these pics in another tread I thought they might be worth a post.
    I have always considered the Lycoming Special to be one of the best examples of a home built special and a credit to Ralph Watson. the history of this car speaks for itself with the results in racing by the few drivers that got to drive it in competition against world class ''factory'' race cars including big names like Bruce Mclaren. Ralph Smiths rebuild from a pile of parts is a credit to him and all those involved and hopefully we will see it race well into the future while so many other historic race cars have been wrapped in cotton wool and relegated to display pieces. I am proud to have the original pre 1980s rebuild ''Boot'' panel that I acquired from Sam Smith [Ralph Smiths son] a few years ago, so I am sharing some pics here. I made a display board to mount it to after giving it a light cleaning but left the original paint in as is condition as it has a once raced patina. it is hanging in my dining room in Waimate a hundred meters from the waimate 50 track and it makes a cool talking point and a welcome addition to my early motor racing memorabilia and book collection.Name:  IMG_20190917_180758.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  17.2 KBName:  IMG_20200522_162722.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  172.0 KBName:  IMG_20200522_172509 (2).jpg
Views: 623
Size:  172.1 KB

Journeyman Racer
    sorry placed this in the wrong thred