Thread: RiP Billy Apple

RiP Billy Apple

Died September 6th.

Somewhat surprised no one had started a thread as my wife told me he'd passed away.

Billy was a perfectionist when it came to his motorbikes and cars. I got to know him through his acquisition of the engineless Lola 212, which was towed behind my lodger's 1116cc Mini, when purchased from Bob Howlings in Cheshire.

It was bought on behalf of a Kiwi and resided with us at a rented lockup, until it was shipped to NZ.
    Before it was shipped, Mike had installed a Ford Twin cam and had a minor off at a hillclimb, so it needed a few suspension bits...

Billy had a Cooper FJ and was also keen on the modern Mini.

Not my taste in conceptual art, but can't deny his taste in cars and motorbikes.

An interesting character and always happy to chat and a regular at classic meetings.

The Lola, the Cooper body and motorcycles at the Auckland Art Gallery in 2015

Name:  IMG_0026 (2) - Copy.JPG
Views: 355
Size:  161.9 KB

Manx Norton, Matchless G45 and I think an AJS7R

The Lola was a championship winning car in the UK and I have a photo back home of Billy at Randall Edgell's workshop, with the twin cam he was having built.

Unfortunately, I missed the Auckland Art Gallery display. I seem to remember Billy not being happy with the shade of green on the Cooper and getting it redone.

I haven't seen the Lola since an outing at Whenuapai when it appeared for practice, in grey primer. I don't think it raced. I believe Billy might have had a recognised driver give the Lola a run at the classic bike meeting at Pukekohe, but couldn't be sure. Maybe jellywrestler knows?

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Maybe jellywrestler knows?
    I don't ever recall seeing a car on the track at the puke classics, i've done many of them but not all of them. Of course it could have happened on the friday practice day when i've usually travelling there. There is plans in the wind to have at least on F5000 car being demonstrated at the next event, I say plans, more than just a rumour.