Thread: Identity of Australian mechanics who worked for Tim Parnell and Gerry Ashmore 1961

Identity of Australian mechanics who worked for Tim Parnell and Gerry Ashmore 1961

I've been doing some research into the Lotus 18 Formula 1 cars raced by Tim Parnell and Gerry Ashmore in 1961 and have heard mention of a couple of Australian mechanics who worked for the team (called the Parnell-Ashmore Racing Partnership) that year but unfortunately do not know their names. I realise it is a very long shot but does anyone know who this might have been? I'm hoping one or both might still be with us and have some recollections from that year.

I did not manage to speak to Tim before he died but I did speak to Gerry several times before his recent death but no luck. I also visited engine builder David Whitehouse, who was a very youthful gofer on the team that year but he couldn't remember either - hardly surprising as it is 60 years ago this year!

I have a couple of photos of one of the guys, hopefully below but I've not posted photos on here before, so apologies if they don't show...

Name:  610917 Tim Parnell Lotus 18 Flugplatzrennen Zeltweg 17th September 1961_resized (Technisches Mus.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  54.2 KB
    (Photo: Technisches Museum Wien)

Name:  610917 Tim Parnell mechanic possibly Flugplatzrennen Zeltweg 17th September 1961_resized (TMW).jpg
Views: 252
Size:  19.3 KB
    (Photo: Technisches Museum Wien)

Name:  610923 Tim Parnell Lotus 18 Gold Cup Oulton Park 23rd September 1961_resized (Revs Digital Libra.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  39.3 KB
    (Photo: Revs Digital Library)

Gerry wrote a very entertaining article about his time with the team's bus for the Grand Prix Driver's Club website here:

https://www.f1grandprixdriversclub.c...d-olympic-bus/

He mentions one of the mechanics (although not by name, unfortunately) in the piece and there is also a very small photo which I think shows Tim Parnell standing in front of the transporter, perhaps with the two Aussies mechanics alongside (and an Italian policeman!).

Even if you can't help on this, I'd recommend reading the article and another one Gerry wrote about his times with a Commer transporter (https://www.f1grandprixdriversclub.c...o-a-full-stop/) as they are fascinating and give a glimpse of the life of a hard-pressed privateer trying to make ends meet!

I might get a chance to ask Bob Britton...

You just never know. Not that it might have been him, at all, but he might have known whoever it was who undertook such an adventure.

Another who might know would be Bruce Richardson.

Thanks Ray, if you could ask Bob, that would be great. I don't know Bruce I'm afraid, would you be able to put me in touch with him, please (or ask him for me!)?

Bruce Richardson was Frank Matich's mechanic in that era...

I have e.mailed the pics to him. I've also had prints made to send to Bob Britton, he doesn't have e.mail.

Some kind of paydirt for you, Michael...

Bruce Richardson, though he still hasn't had a good look at the photos, was himself working for Tim Parnell in Europe in 1960 or 1961. I will send you his phone number.