Thread: Bainbridge 7

Bainbridge 7

Hey guys,

I have searched and found numerous bits of information about this car.....

An NZ new Lotus 7 (ish) built by Bainbridge with parts and jigs of Steel Brothers
    who were the holder of rights along with Caterham to manufacture 7s'.

Seemingly they contracted to Bainbridge to make more with the bits they had for a small payment per car. Obviously things weren't explained or understood properly as a courtcase ensued.

Bainbridge did however make as far as I'm aware 2 cars, using lotus 7 S4 jigs, engine and gearboxes supplied by Steel Bros. They were made with S4 chassis (I believe) but with a bespoke S3 style body.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dean.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Classy...

With that engine (a 2-litre 4-valve?) it should be pretty quick.

What about those Landrovers;
    early series one, later still with Headlights in the grille and some newer ones ..

The Lotus Se7en ..
    This is from Carjam [ NZTA ].

" 1985
    Make: LOTUS
    Model: S4X
    Colour: Red
    Body Style: Sports Car
    Plate: BDD518
    Engine No: 15227
    Chassis: 9071001
    Vehicle Type: Passenger Car/Van
    Seats: 5
    CC rating: 2,300cc
    Fuel Type: Petrol "
    and the number Plate - make that Plates !!

" Plates History

Plate Effective Date
    BDD518 04-Apr-2003
    YPEOUT 23-Mar-1993
    PM8075 21-Dec-1990
    LO8281
    Registration

Ray Bell - 2300cc if " Carjam " correct - is that the Vauxhall / Lotus / Jensen Healey motor. ??

Dean,
    Do you have the car ? or just looking for its history.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 03-15-2022 at 06:30 AM.

Hey guys,

I have bought this piece of motoring hIstory, just waiting for delivery.

Also certainly doesn't have 5 seats, so maybe I don't trust carjam too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanorob View Post
    Also certainly doesn't have 5 seats, so maybe I don't trust carjam too much.
    My Marcos is also down as a 5 seater...

-------

I trust that the car does not have the the forwards and rearwards facing rear suspension links as used in the S4 Lotus Seven. This arrangement results in a rear axle located by what amounts to a pair of interconnected Watts Links and as a result absolute rear roll resistance. Body roll is therefore dependent on the chassis flexing. Lotus engineering ?

The handling and traction problems associated with rear roll resistance is mentioned in several U.S. publications but not explained, or a satisfactory remedy reported. With two trailing links my S4 became a different animal. LOL
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 03-18-2022 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    -------

I trust that the car does not have the the forwards and rearwards facing rear suspension links as used in the S4 Lotus Seven. This arrangement results in a rear axle located by what amounts to a pair of interconnected Watts Links and as a result absolute rear roll resistance. Body roll is therefore dependent on the chassis flexing. Lotus engineering ?

The handling and traction problems associated with rear roll resistance is mentioned in several U.S. publications but not explained, or a satisfactory remedy reported. With two trailing links my S4 became a different animal. LOL
    Hi Trevor,
    Unsure as yet, not seen it in person and getting it has been delayed due to covid.
    Hopefully next week and I'll be able to check it out.
    Thanks