Thread: Formula Atlantic/Pacific

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LA = Lyncar Atlantic I think. The designer is not fondly remembered by Martin either as unknown to any of us, he was up to no good with Martin's wife at the time which possibly explains the lateness of the detail drawings!

As the car was under NZ customs bond, there bring no intent to sell the car here but to campaign it in US/ Canada, the remains were swept into a box and re exported. I guess Martin figured the accident was simply error on my part as they built a new car with what little was left to exactly the same design. This car, which as you correctly recall was red was sent to US/Canada on a sales mission where it was tested by all the front running teams.

Unfortunately it was a couple of seconds off the pace with everyone who tried it so there were no takers until exactly the same front wheel failure happened with Price Cobb at the wheel. Fortunately no damage to car or driver but it did mean a change to the wheel design by Martin. The car was then sent out to NZ for me to drive in the '79 NZ series. The less said about that the better.

Without getting too technical, the car suffered from poor turn in and low speed exit traction which, partially with hindsight, was due to its narrow track. That was the trend for production F3 and Atlantic cars of the period in order to tuck the wheels and bulky suspension behind the full width nose. This car with its delta front wing over a chisel nose and inboard suspension could have run a wider track without compromising straight line speed exactly as is the trend today. Unfortunately, although we knew this, the complicated design made quick modifications impossible. There is much to be said for the Ron Tauranac bolt on brackets which are easy to change!
    Last edited by Howard Wood; 08-21-2011 at 11:37 PM.