Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula Atlantic/Pacific

[QUOTE=Steve Holmes;11487]
    Quote Originally Posted by ffdave View Post

Dave, I don't have any dates listed, but yes I think its the 1989/90 season. Ken Smith and Craig Baird were both in Swift DB4s, Thomlinson a Ralt RT4, and from memory he purchased the Radisich Reynard I posted above, and repainted it black for the following season.
    Steve, yip i think you are right there. Radisich had an 89H in 1990 which is the car in your photo which he sold to Thomlinson and it became the Uniden car in 1991. Radisich then bought a 90H for the 91 season and i assume sold this to switch to the Swift in 1992. Not sure what happenend to the 90H Reynard and where that ended up? Maybe went back to the States. I know who has the 89H Uniden car now.

Heres a couple of pics from Manfeild in the day..
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Semi-Pro Racer
    Looks like the same corner that undid Tulloch

Post them Jim ...post them. I remember the meeting and that 1914 thing even tho I have a 1914 thing myself. The whole motor of my 1914 Delage is the size of one pot of that car...think it was a Fiat or Italia of umpteen litres???
    That Dunedin circuit in 1961 is what got me into motorsport. I will try and post a photo of me at age 13 in my fathers garage watching Jim Palmer and saying I am going to do that.....little did I know that some 10yrs later I was, and in that same car that I think Jim came second to Pat Hoare...(help Dave Mck???).
    My photo shows the Palmer car #19 (note the number which is another story) and another Lotus #124, which could be a book in the making given the intrigue that went on and still is going on with it, on International markets. The Chevron is also in the photo at the front.
    Having successfully hijacked the Pacific thread I will now retire and do some work to pay for my 'retirement'.

My photo upload 1st attempt was luck as can't get it to go again. Will try tomorrow with the pics referred to.
    in the meantime imagine what it looks like. Chris Read
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My god it worked Steve...!! albeit with some blank paper and a poor image but you get the picture

Chris Read

There you go Chris, it just takes a bit of practice, as long as the images aren't too big to be uploaded, you should have no problem. Really looking forward to seeing what else you have. I'd say the blank paper in the image above is part of the scanning process you did. Most scanners have a cropping option where you just scan the photo, not everything on the scanner plate.

Weekend Warrior
    [QUOTE=ffdave;11492]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

Steve, yip i think you are right there. Radisich had an 89H in 1990 which is the car in your photo which he sold to Thomlinson and it became the Uniden car in 1991. Radisich then bought a 90H for the 91 season and i assume sold this to switch to the Swift in 1992. Not sure what happenend to the 90H Reynard and where that ended up? Maybe went back to the States. I know who has the 89H Uniden car now.
    We took the 90H to the States and did Long Beach with it, Qualified 3rd finished 2nd, it was sold to Ted Titmas over there.
    Cheers, Les
    Last edited by Les Laidlaw; 03-23-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks Les. What was the story with the 89H, I roughly recall it not being an Atlantic car, but instead something else, perhaps F2 or F3(?) that was converted for Atlantic? Or did I just dream that all up?

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Les. What was the story with the 89H, I roughly recall it not being an Atlantic car, but instead something else, perhaps F2 or F3(?) that was converted for Atlantic? Or did I just dream that all up?
    Not sure on that one Steve, I didnt do that season with him

[QUOTE=Les Laidlaw;11531]

We took the 90H to the States and did Long Beach with it, Qualified 3rd finished 2nd, it was sold to Ted Titmas over there.
    Cheers, Les
    Thanks Les, great to know. Do you have any idea of the chassis number of that 90H?

I know I have pictures of Atlantic cars from the 90's, I just need to find them!

I did find this one of one of the Radisich Reynards:

Thats Lou Schollum sitting in the seat, I dont remember who else was working on the car that year, it looks like it could be Jandals and Gary Petersen?

I know I have pictures of the Pope cars somewhere, but I couldnt find them today. The colors were the same as what is on the transporter in this pic:

In the US the Reynards were gone by the time I started working on Atlantic cars. Ralt RT40's and RT41's were the norm, with a few Swift DB4's running in a "C2" class. Dennis Eade was running a couple of cars at some events called XFR's which was an abbreviation for "Ex F*cking Reynard" which were based on the earlier models but fairly extensively modified.

From what I heard about the 92 Reynard, the cars were very quick until the tech officials realized that the tunnels were very flexible, allowing the side skirts to suck down to the track and producing a huge amount of downforce. A deflection test was intoduced at tech to police this, and the Reynard lost a lot of its advantage. Cameron drove his Reynard to 2nd in the US championship in 1992, beaten by Chris Smith (son of Carrol Smith) in a Swift DB4.

The RT40/41 was the next major step forward, and we were lucky to see the first of the new series of cars in 1992 in NZ when Dave McMillan bought down Stuart Crowe and Charles Nearburg. Later on Sir Ken would get a Ralt for James Taylor.

Atlantic cars will always have a special place in my heart. The howl of the BDA and later on the Toyota was awesome, and the developments in the cars was technically interesting. Competition between the chassis manufacturers and special parts developed by the teams themselves kept everyone on their toes. Atlantic lost a lot of its appeal with the introduction of the spec Swift chassis in 1998as the series turned into just another spec series.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorekiwi View Post
    I know I have pictures of Atlantic cars from the 90's, I just need to find them!

I did find this one of one of the Radisich Reynards:

Thats Lou Schollum sitting in the seat, I dont remember who else was working on the car that year, it looks like it could be Jandals and Gary Petersen?

I know I have pictures of the Pope cars somewhere, but I couldnt find them today. The colors were the same as what is on the transporter in this pic:
    Great pic of the Reynard and story! Would love to see any more from this period if you have them buried away. I didn't realise that Jandals worked with Radisich back then. He did the setup of my Van Diemen Stealth when i first raced Formula Ford.

There is a great video of Verstappen in the atlantics here:

You can also see Camerons POPE Reynard in it in front of verstappen as well as Baird in the other 92H Reynard.

As well as the chassis number of Radisich's 90H Reynard I am also keen to find out the chassis number of Cameron's 92H Reynard.

As well as the chassis number of Radisich's 90H Reynard I am also keen to find out the chassis number of Cameron's 92H Reynard.
    I'll see if Steve remembers the chassis number and ask him where the car went.

The Pope cars had gone by the time I got there in 1994, Steve ran a guy by the name of Bert Hart in a Ralt in 1993, as well as doing a very limited season himself in a new American built chassis, the Raven. A very cool car with a lot of new (at the time) ideas. Unfortunately there was no budget for testing and development, so the car didnt realise its potential.

Young Lou Schollum was a very pleasant guy and was a very good peddler himself, and raced FF for awhile. He did his apprenticeship with Bill Shiels on the North Shore. His brothers Dave and Brian owned the original cars that Steve Millen raced. Dave raced FF in early days and bought car back from Singapore and did not really drive much after his big shunt at Levin. They repaired the car and Millen ran it a couple of times (his first single seat drive) and he beat Riley etc, and it graduated from there.

Schollum Brothers

Weren't the Schollums the original partners in Stillen Performance?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Only 1 of them was.
    Last edited by markec; 03-26-2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling/grammer eror

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Young Lou Schollum was a very pleasant guy and was a very good peddler himself,
    The old(!!) Lou Schollum is still a very pleasant guy. Its been about 3 years since I saw him last (Long Beach in 2009), and kept threatening to return home for retirement. Wonder if he's done it yet.

Interesting reading you guys comments ,most of you were after my time with current single seater but it would be an amazing thing if you guys and the ones I knew Tom Hooker, AJ Fairburn, Murray Mac Laren ect could get together with out the nuts behind the wheel and tell lies about how things really were. The mid night departure Auckland / Manfield to avoid a nights motel accomadation, the first tune up on the ex Merv Clark courier CF Bedford in Pitt St ,[ closed points] and then a whole day doing the down force thing and going slower, whoops I think this is a slow day. The driver requesting gear ratio changes ad infinitum untill we have two fourths, shit how did that happen must be your fault. Come on you guys spill the beans!

Semi-Pro Racer
    I lost track of Tom Hooker when he went to the US to work for George Bignotti - is he back in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    I lost track of Tom Hooker when he went to the US to work for George Bignotti - is he back in NZ?
    David ,check your email