Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula Atlantic/Pacific

Damn these are good. I am loving this stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Me too, so many memories of magic times with neat people

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm still looking for photos or information about the B49 Chevron that Graeme Lawrence ran in Malaysia in Rothmans colours in 1979, We are rebuilding it for a customer to run in the Atlantic/Pacific series next year.
    Barry L
    I take it you have already asked GL and Eli ??

TG

Sure have, GL only raced the car once and photos seem to be really thin on the ground

Formula Pacific Photos from 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Many thanks for the encouraging comments re photos guys - it has been fascinating going over all the old negatives I took 35 years ago.
    An awful lot of these photos I have never printed before, so it has been good to get them out there for others to enjoy also.
    Although it takes quite a bit of work in Photoshop after scanning to get results that are acceptable to me, I think it has been worth it.

Here's a teaser for the next batch - sorry its not the Chevron B49 Barry, but an interesting car also.

Name:  G.Lawrence-Pukekohe-1978.jpg
Views: 2033
Size:  137.8 KB

World Champion
    Something you guys may be able to clarify for me. In Ross' posts #239 and #259. 239 is a side shot of Chevron #26 driven by Albert Poon. Then again in #259 there is a Chevron #25 first following Jim Stone in the Cuda as they pass Ivan Tighe in the Elfin, then on the outside, presumably allowing Andrew Miedecke to pass in his Lola, yet thi sis also Albert Poon, however Poon was entered as #24. Yet on here http://www.oldracingcars.com/results...?CategoryID=ZB and But car #25, was Beng Saswanto in his Lola? can some explain?

#25 is a Chevron

As I recall, the Saswanto Lola was run #14 in the GP because GHL drove it - Milan and/or David will have the details closer to hand than me but I'm guessing the Lola must have otherwise been #24

I've just breezed onto ORC - as correctly stated by '27', that site records race numbers that are different to the photos.

Given that the photos don't lie, and that two cars with the same number isn't a realistic option, I think we can say ORC has the race numbers around the wrong way.

Oh hell - until you look at the photos on page 12 and we see Poon now in #26...

World Champion
    And i have pics of both Lawrence 14 and Saswanto 25 at Pukekohe

The way I remember it was like this - Saswanto got crook and his car was made available for Graeme Lawrence who, not surprisingly, ran with his familiar 14 because it was available

World Champion
    Yeah, just been reading the season review. Very clear that the pictures I have of Saswanto is Saturday and Lawrence Sunday. Poons number 26 is confusing but the pics of the Chevron number 25 instead of the listed entry, is because that at BayPark, they Saswanto and Poon swapped cars, so therefore so as not to confuse time keepers, they took their numbers with them.

Lawrence in Saswanto Lola T460

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Yeah, just been reading the season review. Very clear that the pictures I have of Saswanto is Saturday and Lawrence Sunday. Poons number 26 is confusing but the pics of the Chevron number 25 instead of the listed entry, is because that at BayPark, they Saswanto and Poon swapped cars, so therefore so as not to confuse time keepers, they took their numbers with them.
    This could have been taken in practise

Name:  Lawrence-in-Saswanto-Lola-4.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  122.4 KB

Thank God Steve started this website otherwise these great photos might never have seen the light of day.

I didn't see a lot of these cars in period, but would sure like to see them back on track again in the future. We appear to have quite a collection of them here in NZ and doubtless Australia has its fair share. Now that would be another class to get the adrenaline flowing.

World Champion
    Yeah, its obvious when you look at the helmet!

Name:  Pacific #25.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  140.2 KB

Name:  Graeme Lawrence - Formula Pacific.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  159.2 KB

I wonder if that rear wing support was sturdy enough...

I would never regard the cars from that wide nose/'hammerhead shark' period as being things of beauty - handsome perhaps, but never gorgeous. It was part of the reason I always admired the Cuda.

I always thought the early bodywork on the RT1 as being the least attractive of the cars of the day but I've just been forced to reconsider - Lola is the winner!

World Champion
    GL raced it at least 3 times. Once maybe twice in NZ, this is after its arrival on April 20th 1979. It was then raced at the Penang GP where he finished 2nd behind Ken Smith and another which I can't remember off the top of my head. Beyond that he soon got rid of it and replaced it with the March 80a. The Chevron was on sold to Peter Haskett and Charlie Thomason.

There was a meeting at Puke in early 1980 - perhaps March...where GL ran it.

The only reason I recall that is that it was first, and definitely last, time I rode a push bike to a racetrack

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    GL raced it at least 3 times. Once maybe twice in NZ, this is after its arrival on April 20th 1979. It was then raced at the Penang GP where he finished 2nd behind Ken Smith and another which I can't remember off the top of my head. Beyond that he soon got rid of it and replaced it with the March 80a. The Chevron was on sold to Peter Haskett and Charlie Thomason.
    Initially Charlie drove the car, as it was decided that he was faster than the current owner - was this Peter Haskett and the B49? Charlie drove the car for a period before purchasing the ex Oxton B34 I think. He later owned another Chevron when he was in possession of the Ralt that he bought from Kenny Smith, but I seem to think it was the B49.........sorry, its all a bit hazy, and I was only young.

World Champion
    It seems to be referred to as B48/9 Charlie drove Haskett owned then Haskett drove it. Performance wise Penang 2nd to Smith, Malaysia 2nd by 30s to Smith, Selangor retired 0 laps. So maybe contact Ken Smith, see if he has any information regarding the car.