Yes Kenny - I always thought that was a nice livery

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay G View Post
    Am I remembering correctly thinking this was Kenny Smith's
    Name:  wigram 1.jpg
Views: 2280
Size:  146.4 KBName:  wigram 2.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  83.9 KB
    Yes, from Ken Smith, and then on to Charlie Thomasen. Was a nice car.

Before this it was the Gitanes car that Laffite raced in the Australian GP and belonged to Bob Jane, now restored in Laffite's colours and raced by the Leitch family.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Yes Kenny - I always thought that was a nice livery
    So did I

At the moment I am running the car on it's original Cams log book as the NZ log book has been misplaced at some time. If anyone knows where it might be could you let me know. I have also struggled to find period photos of the car if anyone can help. Thanks, Barry L.

Semi-Pro Racer
    First attempt at scanning photos. Will try to scan the negatives some time, see if they come out better.

Must have submitted these to MotorAction, judging by the notes on the back of the photos.

Baypark 2/1/1983

Name:  Baypark Berg.JPG
Views: 1935
Size:  65.9 KB
    Allen Berg

Name:  Baypark Berg Rosen.JPG
Views: 1955
Size:  73.8 KB
    Allen Berg defending from Mike Rosen

Name:  Baypark McMillan Watson.JPG
Views: 1930
Size:  42.6 KB
    Christian Danner leads Paul Radisich

Name:  Baypark Radisich Danner.JPG
Views: 2001
Size:  48.2 KB
    Graham Watson leads Dave McMillan
    Last edited by Bryan; 03-06-2014 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Amend captions for car order in bottom pics.

Top shots, you better get into that drawer of yours and be busy Bryan.

Thanks for shareing.

For the avoidance of doubt

PR is in car 5...Christmas Dinner is in the white Rifle sponsored car behind

Isn't the late Graham Watson (#9) leading Swiftie?

World Champion
    For the avoidance of doubt

PR is in car 5...Christmas Dinner is in the white Rifle sponsored car behind

Isn't the late Graham Watson (#9) leading Swiftie?
    I agree, the head position of driver of the white Rifle sponsored car suggests its Danner, 6ft4 isn't he? Very distinctive helmet of Watson in #9 as is shown here in 1981/2. So is that agreed then? Radisich leading Danner Watson leading McMillan?

Name:  Ralt at Manfeild.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  158.1 KB

Xmas Dinner 6 2 tops I'd say

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    I agree, the head position of driver of the white Rifle sponsored car suggests its Danner, 6ft4 isn't he? Very distinctive helmet of Watson in #9 as is shown here in 1981/2. So is that agreed then? Radisich leading Danner Watson leading McMillan?
    Thanks for the corrections, chaps. Only had the surnames noted on the backs of the photo (and in the wrong order!)

Weekend Warrior
    Xmas Dinner 6 2 tops I'd say
    I remember CD was a struggle to fit in the chassis, BMW sent him out to do the series, they had arranged 2 brand new engines from Cosworth but they were way down on power compared to Jennings etc.
    The chassis was leased from Andrew Miedecke, the late Bruce Cary engineered it while Rapid Bartels & I rattled the spanners.

How cool would it be to see a full field of historic Formula Atlantic/Pacific cars at the 2015 NZFMR?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    How cool would it be to see a full field of historic Formula Atlantic/Pacific cars at the 2015 NZFMR?
    Very cool
    Mike L

Hopefully with a better reliability record than at Ruapuna last December.

Actually I'd be happy drawing the line at ground effect and just going with RT1s, Chevrons, early Marches, Modii, Lolas, etc

Monterey Historics this year has a full grid of Flat bottom Atlantics. They did the same a couple of years ago with 20 something cars.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    He did, then took all the wheels off in a start line shunt at Wigram. Have a photo somewhere of him climbing out of the wheel-less tub - must find and scan it.
    Name:  scan0038.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  150.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by richard lester View Post
    Hi Grant,hope alls good with you...pretty sure at that time other watson driver was parker johnstone from US...i was in my ex Bowe 81 RT4 and i ended up buying the David brabham 86 RT4 at season end......
    Richard (and others),

I was sent a link to this thread by a friend in Australia (where I live) as I recently bought an RT4 and have been recing it for about a year. I don't have details for all of its life as I have an original logbook, the current logbook but the one that covered the period in between has either been lost or covered the period the car was in New Zealand and possibly operated under your log book system.

I have quoted your entry above as I think that there is a small chance that you were the owner of the car I acquired as it is an 86 RT4 that I believe was raced in New Zealand by David Brabham. According to the records I do have it was originally owned by Ralt Australia (Graham Watson) but stayed in New Zealand after racing there in early 1986 before returning to Australia in 1998 when acquired by Ray Stubber. It is Chassis number 592 and competed in PYE livery.

I would be grateful for any information you have about the car.

Having read this thread and some other material it sounds like you folks in New Zealand had (and still have) a very high interest in open wheeler racing and I have wondered whether there is an active racing scene/series for Atlantics over there at present. In that regard I would also be grateful for any information anyone has about what sounds like an "historic racing festival" in New Zealand scheduled for January 2015 that is to be run over a few weekends. I have found some information about it using google but haven't been able to find any details about eligibility and classes etc.

I have a recent photo of the car which I will try and attach and anyone that was at the 2014 Phillip Island classic may have seen it in the flesh there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion