Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula Atlantic/Pacific

Semi-Pro Racer
    I hope the result isn't 25 cars existing in the country and six or eight turning out to race - as happened in the day

Mind you, the same could be said for the last years of F5000 first time round, so maybe now's the right time

Weekend Warrior

Some of my old pic's

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  LL5.jpg
Views: 2656
Size:  40.4 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Weekend Warrior
    I marshalled throughout the 1970s and the big thing about Pacific when it arrived was the sheer speed of the top drivers. Rosberg was startling and so was Millen to my surprise. None of the F5000 brigade, in the best of those cars, seemed as gawd almighty crazy quick as the Pacifics. It might have been that they were all much younger on average than the crusty V8 squad.
    If a Pacific revival is achieved as an historic class they will need to have drivers to match otherwise old fools like us with long memories will always be comparing. F5000 seemed pedestrian when it came back but now seems to have got some drivers to do it justice. The last effort at Pacific racing I saw in NZ was feeble, cars running off cam etc.

Just wondering whether anyone has any later photos of the Peter Jackson Series Formula Pacific series between 1990 and 1992? Car's like the Reynard 90H, 92H, Swift DB4 etc. Would love to see photo's of Radisich's Reynard 90H which i think went on to be the Thomlinson Uniden car and even Steve Cameron's POPE Racing Reynard 92H or Craig Bairds 92H!

That Radisich Reynard was a beautiful car. Didn't he have a lot of problems getting it to work? Or am I thinking of another car?

Quote Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
    I marshalled throughout the 1970s and the big thing about Pacific when it arrived was the sheer speed of the top drivers. Rosberg was startling and so was Millen to my surprise. None of the F5000 brigade, in the best of those cars, seemed as gawd almighty crazy quick as the Pacifics. It might have been that they were all much younger on average than the crusty V8 squad.
    If a Pacific revival is achieved as an historic class they will need to have drivers to match otherwise old fools like us with long memories will always be comparing. F5000 seemed pedestrian when it came back but now seems to have got some drivers to do it justice. The last effort at Pacific racing I saw in NZ was feeble, cars running off cam etc.
    Thats a good point. I think David McKinney wrote something very similar in his New Zealand Motorsport book back in the '80s. That the drivers were young up and comers in Atlantic, out to make a name for themselves, trying to make their way towards F1 using Atlantic as a stepping stone, and the fear factor was virtually nil.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    That Radisich Reynard was a beautiful car. Didn't he have a lot of problems getting it to work? Or am I thinking of another car?
    The 92H Reynards had a smaller setup window than the Swift's but were definately faster as shown by Steve Cameron and Craig Baird. Not sure about the 90H Reynard that Radisich drove. He did win 3 races in 1990 and 2 races in 1991 in it before switching to the Swift. Do you know who his sponsor was when he ran the Reynard? I cant recall the colours.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ffdave View Post
    ... Not sure about the 90H Reynard that Radisich drove. He did win 3 races in 1990 and 2 races in 1991 in it before switching to the Swift. Do you know who his sponsor was when he ran the Reynard? I cant recall the colours.
    Shell sponsored the Reynard (and the Swift). Looking back through some magazines, the Swift was predominantly yellow and the Reynard was mostly red.

Malcolm.

Wasn't the Reynard a bright pink colour?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Wasn't the Reynard a bright pink colour?
    The VHT sponsored Ralt was bright pink/orange. It's one of those colours that doesn't photograph well but it was like an STP McRae GM1.

Name:  Rat Ralt.jpg
Views: 2285
Size:  179.7 KB

Here's the Reynard as I remember it.

Name:  Rat Reynard.jpg
Views: 2352
Size:  189.9 KB

Malcolm

Semi-Pro Racer
    The Saunders car was sold on as a 77B, it was in that form that I had an association with it.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I remember Davy Jones coming in after a practice with the tell tail reading 11400 and Grahame saying to him"that will cost your grandmother another $7,000.00"

Radisich and Murphy's DB4's in 1992 and one of the Graeme Lawrence cars driven by Mark Smith on Pole with Baird next to him in 1991. You can also see Ken Smith on the inside and Radisich in the Reynard on the outside of the second row.

Name:  037-87 and 033-89.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  68.8 KBName:  DB4 036-89 on pole at Puke 1991.jpg
Views: 2542
Size:  146.9 KB

This is the car I was thinking of. Sorry for the crap scan, its a lot pinker in the photo than its come up here.

Name:  Radisich Reynard.jpg
Views: 2601
Size:  146.0 KB

[QUOTE=Steve Holmes;11375]This is the car I was thinking of. Sorry for the crap scan, its a lot pinker in the photo than its come up here.

You dont have any more pics of Pacifics from that era do you Steve? That looks like a different colour scheme than the other shell car. Maybe that is his 1990 scheme and the 1991 scheme is the yellow/red combo....

I'm interested in photos of the Reynards in particular. Radisich's 90H, the Uniden Black/Green of Thomlinson, Steve Cameron's POPE Racing Reynard 92H and Craig Baird's 92H Alpine / Husqvarna car.

This posting is more to see if I can get a photo on the site that will work after all your advice. Have chosen my ex Chevron B29 in not a too exciting pose heading for the railings at Coronet Peak. Also if posting succeeds the car as it is today. Chris Read. ( don't hold your breath Steve).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here we go again with a photo attemptName:  Chevron CN 29-75-30 001 (640x384).jpg
Views: 2212
Size:  193.0 KB
    Ex Redman/Oxton Chevron B29 C/N 29 75 30
    I think the car that went into the railing before me and he broke his leg was Tom Donavan. I do remember he had a big post at the front of the cockpit roll bar which I later learnt was to stop the fence wire doing what the steel rope did to me.
    As it is today in Adelaide. Chris Read

There you go Chris, that was easy! You'll be building websites next!

[QUOTE=ffdave;11378]
    This is the car I was thinking of. Sorry for the crap scan, its a lot pinker in the photo than its come up here.

You dont have any more pics of Pacifics from that era do you Steve? That looks like a different colour scheme than the other shell car. Maybe that is his 1990 scheme and the 1991 scheme is the yellow/red combo....

I'm interested in photos of the Reynards in particular. Radisich's 90H, the Uniden Black/Green of Thomlinson, Steve Cameron's POPE Racing Reynard 92H and Craig Baird's 92H Alpine / Husqvarna car.
    Dave, I don't have any dates listed, but yes I think its the 1989/90 season. Ken Smith and Craig Baird were both in Swift DB4s, Thomlinson a Ralt RT4, and from memory he purchased the Radisich Reynard I posted above, and repainted it black for the following season.

Hi Chris same corner yankey driver went through sfs 1991 .have some great vidio of cars at that meet 250f largo big 1914?Fiat bcm 4clt buggatis ss001 17 cars from USA