Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula Atlantic/Pacific

Thanks guys, yeah that is scary! He is lucky it didn't go over another time, or land on its lid. Pretty decent sized crowd!

Boy those Trekka's were special weren't they!

Some photos of promo night for release of Chardon sponsorship. We put big slab of foam in pool and surrounded it with ice, a lot of shovelling and barrowing with Steve wheeling a couple of loads in and it seems those black shorts appear again, I did have about 3 pair of them. Car had dummy engine in it to help with weight etc.
    Photos not best but gives idea of promotion.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Wonderful photos Rod. I've seen a few different shots from that launch. It was very clever, and looked fantastic. And boy was that ever the 70s! Has any decade in history been so ott? I love it.

Yes Steve the 70's short short's, longish hair, etc. even the guy's. found some more photos which explain why we did it, not necessarily in order but close.

Sorry got it wrong again, kind of start from the bottom and work up, you get what i mean.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Don't recall Morgan being involved, but Rex Hart certainly was. When I get a mo' I'll dig out my report

Boy those Trekka's were special weren't they![/QUOTE]
    Steve a bit of trivia I guess but when they started building those Trekkas here ,they put a locally made LSD in them ,that Ray Stone and Merv Mayo developed

Is that launch at the Mon Desir? Certainly looks like the pool. Ah, Friday nights at the Mon....

Thought there were 3 involved, maybe Rex Hart was the other I think Morgan only got clipped and stopped quick on inside. We were on pit fence when it happened and i can remember Tom Donovan and Robin Irving going in separate ways to miss it and the other 2 down middle of track. Amazing to see how far they went considering it was the start and they hit after only a very short distance. Wish my mind was like yours David don't know how you can remember all info, but is good to have a mobile computor, library, onsite and handy.
    Cheers.

Actually this is what it was all about. NZ Grand Prix and that neat Trophy. this series was to finish with a real sour note when a "Rotten" person pulled one of his well known tricks. He was very lucky he was in hideing when we returned to pits later, think someone knew to move him.

This is result. He went onto repeat performances in Europe were he was known for it.
    This was a very long time ago but it still rankles in my system as we were right there and saw it all. So blatant.

An engineer did a test on the roll bar and worked it out that to tweak it like that would have taken around 80 tons pressure, so in reality the tub, roll bar stood up pretty well for what it went through. Ralts were very well designed and built cars.

World Champion
    Hmmm, also had a F1 career

World Champion
    Yeah well Zakspeed and Spirit hardly F1 cutting edge, plus methinks he paid for the drives. Ironically he managed Verstappen, enough said?

what happened to the car?
    rebuilt or was it stuffed?

I understand that Steve bought the car back in the States awhile back and rebuilt it and it is painted that green and he runs it in classic events occasionally, got photo somewhere of car after rebuild.
    Yea he had family money and I did notice he was managing Verstappen, so he is still involved and hopefully can assist some young fellow in a career.

Sorry rogered, yes the car was rebuilt. it was used in the next year series and was used for the filming of "Smash Palace" Steve also had good results that year with a win and lap record in the second heat of the NZGP being a highlight. He had a gentle rollover again down south but this was different situation with a racing tangle with another top NZ competitor Dave McMillan.
    Dave was a good hard/fast driver and it was always good to watch him, Dave Oxton, Kenny Smith, and Steve tussle it out.

just found this, (assuming i have attached it correctly)
    Was this the same chassis as the smash palace car?