Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerepehi, Raglan , Waharoa and other Waikato Grass tracks.

Kerepehi, Raglan , Waharoa and other Waikato Grass tracks.

Just putting this out that I haven't seen much about these.
    Thames Valley Car Club and Hamilton Car Club were avid organisers of these very popular events.

Waharoa Grass Track meetings

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Just putting this out that I haven't seen much about these.
    Thames Valley Car Club and Hamilton Car Club were avid organisers of these very popular events.
    Oldfart - Have seen very little of these but I did find a little on Waharoa which has been posted on here, think your Matamata thread but need to check.

Kerepehi - went there once in February 1967 from memory, had just bought my first car and joined NSCC.
    Remember some pre-war Ford V8 Coupes and Jim Boyd in the Lycoming, which raced past us going home followed by a mate of his with a car and trailer.
    Guess they brought the trailer in case Jim broke down. No photos though.

Will be a good thread to add any photos, entry lists programmes when found.

Cover of a Waharoa Programme .. March 1967

Name:  Motor Racing Matamata #081 Airfield Races Waharoa 11 Mar 1967 Programme Cover Patrick O'Hanlon ..jpg
Views: 499
Size:  99.0 KB

Alan Boyle got a couple of Certificates .. Alan Boyle archives. March 1966 and 1967.

Name:  HCC events 1967 #041 Matamata Airfield Races Waharoa 1966 - 67 Certificates 1st 2nd Alan Boyle ..jpg
Views: 495
Size:  68.9 KB

The names [ signatures ] on the certificates .. a G Meekings on the second - name seems familiar - did he do Race, Rally, Trial or Hill Climb.

Did a couple of HCC events Mercury Trophy Trials and one year an HCC Bardahl Hill Climb, also competed on the TVCC Mercury Trophy Trial at least once - remember a section where we drove across a culvert that was covered in water. !!
    We may have been in a Ford in a Ford !!
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 12-08-2022 at 05:58 AM.

I remember thse events as being for many, the only form of motor racing vaiable on the basis of cost. A very important aspect involved near zero tyre wear, particularly when these were in short supply. At the time I was running retreaded tyres. There were many competing who could not afford any other form of actual racing.

As a result they provided a valid, valued means of truly amateur motor sport and were very much part of the clubman scene.

Yes Graeme Meekings (or Graham) took me trialling with Alan Gough and??, I'm trying to remember the president's name. Graeme had a lot of involvement with Mermaid.
    Indeed Trevor, a very valuable part of motorsport.

Hamilton Car Club / Waikato Motor Racing Club

Mentioned on another thread - when I saw a Membership card for the " Waikato Motor racing Club Inc " for the 1957 / 58 year.

Name:  Hamilton CC 1957 #019 Waikato Motor Racing Club Inc Membership Card Cover Receipt 1957 - 58 year.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  122.7 KB

Going through an old NZ Classic Car magazine from May 2009 Issue #221 an article about Dennis Marwood and his Humber 80 racing in the early 1960's after his Hillman Minx in 1960'
    Dennis Marwood had raced a MG T D prior to the Humber at this event run by the Waikato Motor Racing Club.

Not a Grass Track event but from the Waikato area..

Name:  Hamilton CC 1957 #021 Waikato MRC Hora Hora Championship HillClimb Programme 9 Mar 1957 D Marwoo.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  Hamilton CC 1957 #023 Waikato MRC Hora Hora Championship HillClimb 9 Mar 1957 D Marwood  (591x80.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  145.5 KB

Did "Waikato MRC " evolve into Hamilton Car Club in a similar way the the New Zealand Racing Drivers Club from 1932 became the Auckland Car Club around 1949 ??.

Do have a few photos from Waharoa too.

World Champion
    Roger,
    Some great names at that Hora Hora event in 1957. e.g. Bruce McLaren, Johnny Mansel, Tom Clark, Ron Roycroft, Ross Jensen etc. etc.That was like a NZGP field from that period.
    I went to that event in the late sixties. The road is still the same now just not as rough around the edges !

What was happening in Glen Murray at the time ?
    Ron Roycroft, R.J.R. Special
    Johnny Mansel, Ardun Special
    D. Caldwell (Was that Bill and Alistair's father ?) Alfa Romeo

That is an amazing number for a population of not more than 50

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-20-2022 at 07:08 AM.

Hora Hora, Glen Murray and the Waikato.

" The road is still the same now just not as rough around the edges ! "

Indeed Ken H, you posted a picture of part of the road taken in 2018.

Glen Murray was happening then and even in later years .. 1979 when the Morgan Car Club,Lotus Car Club and the Austin Healey Club had a touring run to Ron's place - they held an impromptu Hill Climb, with Ron in the R J R which he managed to put through a fence, both Ron and the Car were OK..

Moving slightly off " Oldfart's " subject - here is Ron in the RJR after leaving the road - Ross Cammick photo.

Name:  Ron Roycroft #013 AHCC visit 1979 #0 RJR Special Ron Accident - Ross Cammick.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  118.3 KB

The photo of Hora Hora Road - Ken H archives. Never know whether it is " Horahora " or as on the programme
    " Hora Hora " ..??

Name:  Hamilton CC 2018 #018 Horahora Hillclimb road start area 2018 Ken Hyndman.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  181.8 KB

G Meekings, Waikato Motor Racing Club, Hamilton Car Club.

Yes Graeme Meekings (or Graham) took me trialling with Alan Gough and??, I'm trying to remember the president's name. Graeme had a lot of involvement with Mermaid.
    Indeed Trevor, a very valuable part of motorsport.
    Found this from Milan Fistonic about the NSCC Little Ardmore in 1960 and there is G Meekings in a Ford Special, a Dennis Marwood in a Hillman [ a farming boy from around Morrinsville in the heart of HCC territory ] - after the MG TD but before the Humber 80 and many others

Just noticed R Billington in his Elfo Special too !!

There was even a Club Event .. an Interclub Relay race, won by MG Car Club NSCC 2nd and Hamilton CC third

Name:  NSCC #055 1960 Ardmore NSCC Clubmens Jan 1960 M Fistonic.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  106.3 KB

Looking for more information.

I am also seeking information on John Windelburn [ Windleburn ? ] exploits who began racing in an Austin A35 and went on to race other cars V8 Specials often for other owners - John was active from the late 1950's into at least the 1980's.
    Any information - Entry Lists, Results, Photos would be appreciated.. and should probably go on the NSCC thread.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-21-2022 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Elfo ###47

I remember a Ross Meekings 80s or 90s rallies in I believe a Toyota Corolla.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    I remember a Ross Meekings 80s or 90s rallies in I believe a Toyota Corolla.
    Ross was Graham's son. Graham(sp?) was probably in Mermaid.
    I see Cliff Knight from Awanui in the Ardmore results. Nice man who went on to be very competitive with stockcars.

Kerepehi Grass Track 1966..

One of the few photos I have found of Grass Track racing at " Kerepehi Domain ".

A modified Standard 10 - [ or is it an " 8 " - as has the sliding windows ] powered by a Ford 1500 motor.
    archive Jenny Lucey.

Name:  Hamilton CC 1966 #045 1966 Mike Miers - Hamilton Standard 10 Cortina 1500 running gear Jenny Luc.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  69.3 KB

Perhaps TVCC and HCC have some in their archives ??.

Hamilton Car Club - Waharoa 1961 Hautapu 1970

From Richard Bauz archives on the " Orchid Special " - Richard purchased the " Orchid " a few years ago and it is now in France. The items were on a TRS thread #847 - must check.

Name:  Hamilton CC 1961 #035 Matamata Waharoa Airfield HCC Grass Track 4 Mar 1961 TRS 847 Richard Bauz.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  101.8 KB

*** Correction - these images are from Milan Fistonic archives - and were posted on the " Matamata Street Race " thread #847 - there were three pages - this extract was only the cover and one page. The image was as saved by Richard Bauz as had details of his car.
    The " Orchid Special ".
    Here is the third page - second part of the entry list.

Name:  Hamilton CC 1961#023 Waharoa Airfield 1961 Entry List Page 2 Milan Fistonic .jpg
Views: 417
Size:  59.7 KB

Also on the Matamata story is Milan's Entry List for an event at Hautapu in January 1970..

Name:  Hamilton CC 1970 #021 Grass Track Meeting Hautapu 70 Programme Cover Milan Fistonic.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  Hamilton CC 1970 #022 Grass Track Meeting Hautapu 70 Entry List Part 1 Milan Fistonic .JPG
Views: 420
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  Hamilton CC 1970 #023 Grass Track Meeting Hautapu 70 Entry List Part 2 Milan Fistonic .JPG
Views: 417
Size:  57.4 KB

The events were popular and a number of Name drivers are entered for these more low key events..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-24-2022 at 05:43 AM. Reason: correction M Fistonic credited ##47

World Champion
    Kerepehi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kerepehi Grass Track February 12th 1966..

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Kerepehi
    BRY3500 posted the map of the track ..
    The event was first held February 12th 1966 - promoted by Thames Valley Car Club.

This is the programme cover and entry list - from Milan Fistonic archives
    - [ presume posted in response to some photos posted by John Larry Lawton of cars at the event - posted on another forum but belong here ].

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #011 TVCC 1966 Feb First Meeting programme cover resize Milan Fistonic  (5.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  124.8 KB

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #012 TVCC 1966 Feb First Meeting programme Entry List resize Milan Fistoni.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  157.7 KB

The copy of the map.

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #003 TVCC Grass Track the Track plan Kerepehi Domain 1960's TRS BRY3500.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  123.4 KB

Hard to work out the direction of travel as even the Marshall Posts numbers seem erratic..

Google Maps shows the Domain still there and the track is around the perimeter of the venue largely and looks similar.

Have photos of the M Meirs Standard '10 '- Ford 1500 powered [ posted above ] and the Emson and Jones Simca's.- They belong on here.

Have been contacted by the daughter of a TVCC member who took photos of TVCC events in 1970's which I am being sent - they may belong on here - depending where, when and what type of event.
    - Watch this Space ...
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 10-10-2022 at 02:21 AM.

Each time I went there it was anticlockwise, and in 73 (?) all I could see through the dust of the cars in front was the glint of sunlight on bumpers and windows.

Kerepehi Grass Track February 1967..

Have come across a series of photos from John [ Larry ] Lawton of the February 1967 meeting.
    They belong on here.

This gentleman was racing there, that day, well known for his VW exploits ..

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #022 TVCC 1967 Feb Doug Bremner w cars in background John Larry Lawton .jpg
Views: 348
Size:  29.9 KB

One of the cars that raced, and according to J L L, the car was back on the track later in the meeting

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #021 TVCC 1967 Feb Mini after Roll Over - raced again later John Larry Law.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  61.2 KB

Is that the VW in the background ? of the gentleman mentioned - has wide wheels
    More to follow;

Someone may have the entry list / programme for the event..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-28-2022 at 05:50 AM.

Kerepehi Grass Track February 1967..

The John [ Larry ] Lawton photos.

A brave person standing inside the corner was close to all the action.

Saloons mainly Mini's [ an Elf in a later sequence there for Bruce D " SpGeti " ]

They didn't all manage to stay on their wheels as seen in the sequence of photos.

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #015 TVCC 1967 Feb Mini rolling over #1 John Larry Lawton.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  54.7 KB

a closer look - the same photo - as edited by J L L.

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #016 TVCC 1967 Feb Mini rolling over #2 close up John Larry Lawton.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #017 TVCC 1967 Feb Mini rolling over #3 on its side John Larry Lawton .jpg
Views: 350
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #018 TVCC 1967 Feb Mini rolling over #4 on its side close up John Larry La.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  77.2 KB

The Mini Race #14 is Ross Hollings
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 12-02-2022 at 06:17 AM. Reason: #14 Hollings ###47

Kerepehi Grass Track February 1967..more of the small cars

Mini's and the Elf ..

*** The Mini at the back of the group is Ross Hollings - just found out from Ross as he has a copy of the photo in his archives.
    Ross owned Mini-max at one stage and owned the LHD Sprite that was mine 1978 to 1983 - he owned it in the late 1980's -

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #023 TVCC 1967 Feb Minis Elf Mini on two wheels #1 John Larry Lawton .jpg
Views: 351
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #024 TVCC 1967 Feb Minis Elf Mini on two wheels #2 close up John Larry Law.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  50.1 KB

Morris Minor and a 100E - Anglia or Prefect - the spectator [ Marshall ? ] Hillman is parked a bit close.

*** The Ford is a Prefect and was driven by Ron Bjerring from TVCC. - information from John Climo who has information and photos on the meeting - he was on the gate for the meeting.

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #019 TVCC 1967 Feb Morris Minor and Ford Prefect # 1 Humber spectating Joh.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  53.5 KB

a closer look - the same photo - as edited by J L L. - the Hillman has gone !!.

Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #020 TVCC 1967 Feb Morris Minor and Ford Prefect # 2 close up John Larry L.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  57.6 KB

The photographer is in the action again ..

With the wider range shots you can see more of the trees and the background

The numbered stumps in the foreground - was that for the " Woodchopping " when the local A and P show was on ??.
    Anyone know ?
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-29-2022 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Stumps ###47

Answer to your question post 18, correct.
    Isn't it a bit anorak when I can give first names to almost all the entrants!

Answer to your question post 18, correct.
    Isn't it a bit anorak when I can give first names to almost all the entrants!
    " Oldfart " - We need your Anorak knowledge as often entry lists have Initials and not names or " nicknames ".

Have added a couple more names of drivers to one of the post above.