Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Levin and Cabbage Tree Corner

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Ron Frost created New Zealand’s first permanent international car racing track here in 1956, foreseeing the need to move on from our temporary circuits on open roads and aerodromes.

(Ken H)
    not quite correct Lake Brndwyr was australasias first purpose built fully sealed circuit in 1949. Levin may have been built in 1956 but before it was accepted as an international circuit it had to be extended and it was also widened at the same time a few years later

Looks pretty good in the photos in the other thread...

But was it built as a circuit, or was it built (like Bathurst) as a community project or park drive which could be used as a circuit?

If that were the case, then Bathurst would pre-date it.

World Champion
    I guess I was loose with my wording but I have read in some sources that Levin was "New Zealand's first permanent motorsport facility."

(Ken H)

Henning's Speedway located in Mangere lays claim to this title, as a "Google" will confirm. However, I would agree that it was the first sealed track venue in the form of a true motor racing circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Henning's Speedway located in Mangere lays claim to this title, as a "Google" will confirm. However, I would agree that it was the first sealed track venue in the form of a true motor racing circuit.
    what title? Hennings I beleive was NZ's first purpose built facility and while it was called a sppedway it was 1.4 miles long and not in the spirit of what we know as speedway. On top of this I have photos of esses through 44 gallon drums among it, making it a road race. Lake Bryndwr was australasias first fully sealed Road Racing Circuit, over six years ahead of both Levin Motor Racing Circuit and Teretonga par.

Check out this book, 160 Road Racing Circuits covered in NZ

http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...-on-the-market

I guess I was loose with my wording but I have read in some sources that Levin was "New Zealand's first permanent motorsport facility."

(Ken H)
    poorly researched sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Looks pretty good in the photos in the other thread...

But was it built as a circuit, or was it built (like Bathurst) as a community project or park drive which could be used as a circuit?

If that were the case, then Bathurst would pre-date it.
    Lake Bryndwr was Australasias first purpose built circuit, Bathurst is a Road Race/Street Circuit so not comparable

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    poorly researched sources.
    So this source is a poor research ?
    https://www.racingcircuits.info/aust...and/levin.html
    " The Levin Motor Racing Circuit was New Zealand's first permanent motorsport facility, small in scale but massively important for the development of the sport in the country, which had previously relied on temporary street and airfield circuits.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "It was the first purpose-built car racing circuit
    in New Zealand to compare with the major temporary tracks laid out on the
    airfields of Ardmore and Wigram." ; https://www.hh.org.nz/horowhenua/pro...ROST%20Ron.pdf

Graeme; To say I had poorly researched Levin is a poor choice of words.

Ken

Jelly wrestler, your research on Bathurst is poor...

It was built to double as a scenic road and as a racing circuit, sealed in time for the 1939 meeting. It's been in use ever since as a motor racing circuit, with the exception of the war years, and has been equally important in the development of both car and motorcycle racing in Australia.

World Champion
    Speaking of Bathurst and Tom Clark, this is what happened to Tom two years later at the Mount Panorama Circuit, near Bathurst in New South Wales, Australia on 6 October 1958.
    As described in Eoin Young's "Classic Racers" book.

Name:  Tom Clark.....jpg
Views: 329
Size:  155.4 KB

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-31-2022 at 08:50 AM.

what title? Hennings I beleive was NZ's first purpose built facility and while it was called a sppedway it was 1.4 miles long and not in the spirit of what we know as speedway. On top of this I have photos of esses through 44 gallon drums among it, making it a road race. Lake Bryndwr was australasias first fully sealed Road Racing Circuit, over six years ahead of both Levin Motor Racing Circuit and Teretonga par.

Check out this book, 160 Road Racing Circuits covered in NZ

http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...-on-the-market
    Henning's Speedway was also referred to as the Mangere Speedway and was in no shape or form designed, built or intended to be used as a road racing circuit. I have had lengthy, detailed conversations with four who raced there, i.e. Gerry Matherson, Merv Hardy, George Smith and Bert Batty. I recall their many recollections of the place, which was intended to hopefully replicate a full size American speedway, as opposed to a quarter mile midget car track. At the time motor sport tended to be very much US inspired and the cars raced followed this trend. Furthermore, midget cars as such, were yet to arrive on the scene.

By the way and on top of this, the traditional 44 gallon drum was a significant item in respect of the construction and death of the place. LOL.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 10-31-2022 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Jelly wrestler, your research on Bathurst is poor...

It was built to double as a scenic road and as a racing circuit, sealed in time for the 1939 meeting. It's been in use ever since as a motor racing circuit, with the exception of the war years, and has been equally important in the development of both car and motorcycle racing in Australia.
    It is not an exclusive circuit, it is also a public road.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Henning's Speedway was also referred to as the Mangere Speedway and was in no shape or form designed, built or intended to be used as a road racing circuit. I have had lengthy, detailed conversations with four who raced there, i.e. Gerry Matherson, Merv Hardy, George Smith and Bert Batty. I recall their many recollections of the place, which was intended to hopefully replicate a full size American speedway, as opposed to a quarter mile midget car track. At the time motor sport tended to be very much US inspired and the cars raced followed this trend. Furthermore, midget cars as such, were yet to arrive on the scene.

By the way and on top of this, the traditional 44 gallon drum was a significant item in respect of the construction and death of the place. LOL.
    and yet it was used for road racing as we know it, at least for motorcycles

" The Levin Motor Racing Circuit was New Zealand's first permanent motorsport facility, small in scale but massively important for the development of the sport in the country, which had previously relied on temporary street and airfield circuits.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    airfields of Ardmore and Wigram." ; https://www.hh.org.nz/horowhenua/pro...ROST%20Ron.pdf

Ken
    what words would you use then as it's simply not at all correct?

and yet it was used for road racing as we know it, at least for motorcycles
    Please be very certain that I am not among those who you advise are confused in respect of what constitutes a road race, i.e. on foot, a bicycle, motorcycle, motor car or whatever. LOL

Ken
    I would describe the first website as incomplete. If they're going to list now unused circuits, then list them all.

The second website is as I'd expect, parochial toward the local view of history. Not uncommon in NZ.

I suspect Graeme meant the website was poorly researched. Without Graeme's book to hand to supply the correct answers, it's a bit of a trap.

World Champion
    October 1956. Second meet at Levin.
    Some photos of Jim Boyd driving his Buckler-Ford # 23.
    The first one is on practice day before the crowds arrived, coming around "Cabbage Tree Corner". The cabbage tree is on the inside.
    Name:  719987_0573cbbf92914c75a95c8d58e31b047e.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  157.4 KB

On race day and the crowds have arrived, same corner showing the cabbage tree on the outside of the corner.
    Name:  719987_c82856c061d24c1787ad1908a5992d56.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  118.2 KB

Jim having some problems at the Hairpin when a shower passed through.
    Name:  719987_5d83a552efa64b80951390ff01a546cd.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  87.4 KB

Battling it out with a Cooper Bristol and a 500 cc Cooper
    Name:  719987_2e8d0e8515a84d00a37a0e0f6dae5c19.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  103.0 KB

The handling was much better coming around the Hairpin in the dry !
    Name:  719987_23d985fd931047baba028748896661cd.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  91.3 KB
    (Harold Plimmer photos )

(Ken H )

the old grandstand has lost it's roof but still there

begs the question why 10 months between meetings on a brand new circuit, i know they had sealing issues, must have taken time to resolve?

World Champion
    jellywrestler;
    Yes, Mr. Frost did have some challenges.
    "The track surface broke up badly during the first meeting due its relatively poor construction and, despite a turnout of some 15,0000 spectators, a bank loan was needed to effect the necessary repairs." (racingcircuits.info)

(Perhaps the bank manager did not think another racetrack 35 miles from Ohakea was necessary!)

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-01-2022 at 11:33 PM.