Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book, “ Ralph Watson Special Engineer ” again available.

Book, “ Ralph Watson Special Engineer ” again available.

The printers of the sixth printing and supplementary edition of the book, “Ralph Watson Special Engineer,” have promised delivery at the end of the coming week.

Confidential price to RS members, $29.50, posted to a NZ address, with payment direct to bank account.

I am again personally marketing the book without a profit motive, in celebration of the life of my late dear friend. It is somewhat significant that while out of print, a well used second hand copy has been advertised by a Dunedin used books shop at, $128.50. LOL

The book is solidly wire bound for easy page turning, has a smart silver cover to match Ralph’s cars and comprises 190 pages in A4 format. This provides adequate space for the many, varied photos and illustrations. Apart from its exact technical and historical content, “Ralph Watson Special Engineer,” has been credited as being a very good read.

Order by email:- trevshef@xtra.co.nz including postal address and please head message, "Book Order", whereupon a bank account number will be provided.

Merry Christmas, Trevor.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 11-28-2022 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Ammenment.

Better clear out your PM's frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    Better clear out your PM's frequently.
    OK Greg, as it happens I receiving the best response by email from overseas, right now from Canada.

NB. Ray W. My reply to your email for some reason keeps bouncing back. Please try a private message.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 11-28-2022 at 02:35 AM.

I've tried 3 times in to get a Pm through to you. One sale lost.

I've tried 3 times in to get a Pm through to you. One sale lost.
    Greg. --- Nothing is coming into my PM inwards box. Just my luck. Something is stuffed ! LOL.

Attention ---- Ray W. When I directly reply to your emails my messages directed to your address are rejected by my server.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 11-28-2022 at 04:32 AM. Reason: addition.

the in box has a finite capacity. It's full. Until it's emptied nothing can get in.

Trevor,
    It appears that the issue ight be at your end. I am getting numerous emails today from all-over-the place so will await your reply.
    Ray W

the in box has a finite capacity. It's full. Until it's emptied nothing can get in.
    Yes the " vBulletin " TRS personal message system can only have 50 messages - a total of both sent and received.
    - I know Steve Holmes has the problems his inbox is always full.

Trevor - if your inbox or outbox - sent messages is full, you will need to do a lot of deleting.

You may be better to use Email rather than the TRS message system.

Cheers

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Yes the " vBulletin " TRS personal message system can only have 50 messages - a total of both sent and received.
    - I know Steve Holmes has the problems his inbox is always full.

Trevor - if your inbox or outbox - sent messages is full, you will need to do a lot of deleting.

You may be better to use Email rather than the TRS message system.

Cheers

Roger
    My inbox contained only 26 messages but i have cleared it. I would have preferred not to have disclosed my email address but after waiting for a period, I will alter my original post in order to overcome the difficulty.
    Alteration completed including a reduced price.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 11-28-2022 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Addition.

Should anyone in doubt as to the value of the book, they should simply Google, "Ralph Watson Special engineer'" and go through the extensive information displayed, including the pages which follow the original search.
    Once the current printing is sold, it will not again be offered at the price quoted and will only be available within the book trade.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 11-30-2022 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Addition

If it's anything like the earlier versions this is a very special book, and a great tribute to a great man of the times. If there are additions and supplements it can only be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    If it's anything like the earlier versions this is a very special book, and a great tribute to a great man of the times. If there are additions and supplements it can only be better.
    The supplementary section, as is included in last two printings of the book, has real significance in that it records the final sector of the life of a significant person in respect of the motor sports scene.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 12-04-2022 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typo

Anyone requiring confirmation as to the value of the book, should Goggle, “Ralph Watson Special Engineer, whereupon a scroll will disclose a screed of information as well as many images.

A reader of the book outside of motor racing circles, has pointed out that the Lycoming Special, deserves recognition equal with the "Fastest Indian", having appeared overseas at important events in Australia, the UK and the USA. I am very much inclined to agree with these sentiments. However the late Ralph Watson was not inclined to paint himself as being famous, in spite of being an very special engineer. LOL

As a result of lucky error, I have become aware of a retailer offering the current edition at a price of $45.00 LOL.

I would like to donate ten copies of “Ralph Watson Special Engineer, Supplementary Edition“ to both the Northern Sports Car Club and the Auckland Car Club, to be sold over the bar during club evenings, at a Suggested price of $30.00, i.e. as a means of adding to club funds.

However I have lost touch and need a club official to email me in order to take up this offer and arrange collection of the books from my home address and am not sure of who is best to contact. Can someone here please advise or pass on this message?
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 02-27-2023 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Typo

Donation of the book

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    I would like to donate ten copies of “Ralph Watson Special Engineer, Supplementary Edition“ to both the Northern Sports Car Club and the Auckland Car Club, to be sold over the bar during club evenings, at a Suggested price of $30.00, i.e. as a means of adding to club funds.

However I have lost touch and need a club official to email me in order to take up this offer and arrange collection of the books from my home address and am not sure of who is best to contact. Can someone here please advise or pass on this message?
    Trevor,
    That is a very kind offer, and I am sure you great friend Ralph Watson would approve, having been a member of NSCC going back to the very early years in his Singer.

Later in this his own car the BSA Special as featured in the book - the passenger is Lloyd Gleeson from New Plymouth photo from the 1990's.
    Name:  BSA Special #126 Ralph Watson BSA Ralph and Lloyd Gleeson Car Trial L Gleeson.Jpg
Views: 334
Size:  135.3 KB

I can pass your message on via Rod Peat, who organised the NSCC Reunion last August and get someone from the Club NSCC to contact you and can also contact through Kevin Lancaster the Auckland Car Club.

I can pass on your Email address and as both clubs are Auckland based, getting the books from you should be no problem at all.

Leave it with me, could take a few days ..

Cheers Roger

Trevor,
    That is a very kind offer, and I am sure you great friend Ralph Watson would approve, having been a member of NSCC going back to the very early years in his Singer.

Later in this his own car the BSA Special as featured in the book - the passenger is Lloyd Gleeson from New Plymouth photo from the 1990's.
    Name:  BSA Special #126 Ralph Watson BSA Ralph and Lloyd Gleeson Car Trial L Gleeson.Jpg
Views: 334
Size:  135.3 KB

I can pass your message on via Rod Peat, who organised the NSCC Reunion last August and get someone from the Club NSCC to contact you and can also contact through Kevin Lancaster the Auckland Car Club.

I can pass on your Email address and as both clubs are Auckland based, getting the books from you should be no problem at all.

Leave it with me, could take a few days ..

Cheers Roger
    The offer of the books, I have made direct contact with the respective clubs to their Admin or secretary Email addresses, as I had not got a direct contact with either club.

I have asked that they respond via myself OR direct to you, Trevor through your Email address.

Cheers

Roger

The offer of the books, I have made direct contact with the respective clubs to their Admin or secretary Email addresses, as I had not got a direct contact with either club.

I have asked that they respond via myself OR direct to you, Trevor through your Email address.

Cheers

Roger
    Thanks Roger,

You have encountered my problem, i.e. neither club provides a means of contact within their website. If it were otherwise I would not have needed to post here for assistance. Furthermore what surprises me is that I did not receive a direct response as a result of a club official reading by post. I served a term as secretary of the Northern Sports Car Club and in my time things were more efficient. LOL
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 03-10-2023 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Typo

Book offer to NSCC and ACC.

Trevor re

" You have encountered my problem, i.e. neither club provides a means of contact within their website. If it were otherwise I would not have needed to post here for assistance. Furthermore what surprises me is that I did not receive a direct response as a result of a club official reading by post. I served a term as secretary of the Northern Sports Car Club and in my time things were more efficient. LOL "

I already had an address for the "Admin " at NSCC and found the Secretary at ACC on their site.

Have had a response from ACC - which they copied you in..

As below

" Auckland Car Club would be happy to take Trevor up on his generous offer.

I’m pretty sure I dealt with Trevor on a Ralph Watson book some time ago.

Craig.

Secretary
    Auckland Car Club
    "

Hopefully NSCC will get back to us in the near future too !!
    In ACC's reply there is a phone number for Craig [ 021-889-488 ].

Cheers Trevor,

Roger