Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry Lists

World Champion

Entry Lists

Kind of a Geek request more than anything, would really appreciate, seeing entry lists from programmes, if anyone can oblige. This is as much to jog the memory as much as to actually see the lists.

Regards
    Sean

Semi-Pro Racer

Beware of Geeks Bearing Lists

What events from which era did you have in mind, seaqnmac27? (Hope my spelling was ok). Have some 50's 60's and odd ones from later years.

stu

World Champion
    Thanks Stu, yes I should have clarified that personally more interested in ones from 70's and 80's but, having said that, as I initially said, any entry lists would be useful, especially to jog memories about people and cars that have faded into some level of obscurity.

Sean

Semi-Pro Racer
    Having queried the ground rules, I guess I should put something up.

Almost too recent to be Nostalgic, but here goes :

1984 Benson & Hedges Pukekohe. An interesting collection of drivers, some from '60's and some who are still competing now. This was obviously a 'working' document judging by my graffiti on it; don't know what most of it means now! "see page ..." refers to the additional entries, but the pages weren't numbered!! This was part of a 3 race series with Manfield and Baypark.

Name:  Benson H 1984 50pc.JPG
Views: 898
Size:  137.0 KB

Name:  B and H 84 Cover.JPG
Views: 884
Size:  34.9 KB

Brendan Dugan !!

World Champion
    Now I remember there was something about the legality of the Collingwood 300ZX, from memory, it appeared at some venues, but for one reason or another failed scutineering. Did it only race at Wigram? was that more or leess the end of Collingwoods racing career? Also what business does a Fiat Ritmo have being in the same class as Commodores!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Now I remember there was something about the legality of the Collingwood 300ZX, from memory, it appeared at some venues, but for one reason or another failed scutineering. Did it only race at Wigram? was that more or leess the end of Collingwoods racing career? Also what business does a Fiat Ritmo have being in the same class as Commodores!
    The Garry Pedersen/Dave McMillan Ritmo was fast enough to be 7th or 8th on the grid, if my reading of my hieroglyphics is OK. There is an article in the programme about the 2 Ritmos which I will scan and post. Not shopping cars for sure!

Didn't notice the scanner had trimmed top and bottom of page - reference to "see page ....." is a nonsense without them.
    It actually referred to late entries as follows:

20 Mike & Tim Taylor VW Golf GTI
    49 George Fury/Reg Cook Nissan Bluebird
    75 Jack Drummond/Bryan Hartley Honda Civic Sport
    76 Geoff Burrows/Don Halliday Ford Laser Sport (non starter)
    82 Graeme De Pina/Murray Hart Daihatsu Charade
    83 Warren & Phil Horn Honda Civic LX

Cars 14 (Collingwood/Leonard) and 15 Radisich/Williamson just noted as "withdrawn"

I don't recall who won but I will look the race up in the appropriate NZ Motoring News mag (published by David McKinney - though he may have sold it by then).

Stu

Also what business does a Fiat Ritmo have being in the same class as Commodores!
    The begining of Group A in NZ, bought the first of those cars together with the B&H type NZ assembled cars and a few others together in the field. Most of the 'Open Group' are in fact Group A cars, perhaps the organisers coulds have had an 'Open 1601-2500cc" class to accomodate the two Fiats, the Mazda RX7 and the Isuzu Gemini?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, its somewhere else on this site or perhaps in a recent article on Collingwood in Classic Driver. Guts of the situation was Nissan was not having much luck in getting the 300zx classified for GP-A, but when entrys for Wigram were at an all time low an exception was made to allow it to run, IIRC the Commodore & Falcon models it raced against never actually complied with the regs either in terms of numbers produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Yes, its somewhere else on this site or perhaps in a recent article on Collingwood in Classic Driver. Guts of the situation was Nissan was not having much luck in getting the 300zx classified for GP-A, but when entrys for Wigram were at an all time low an exception was made to allow it to run, IIRC the Commodore & Falcon models it raced against never actually complied with the regs either in terms of numbers produced.
    If I recall correctly, the issue with the 300ZX was that the FIA regarded it as a sports car rather than a saloon/touring car eligible for Group A.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Brendan Dugan !!
    Yes. In all his C&W glory! He and Hugh Munro in the Corolla won the 0-1350 cc class over the 3-race series. I think there were at least 3 entries in the class at each meeting.

Yep he was a local boy around here back then ,and I think he's heading back here again soon ,

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post

I don't recall who won but I will look the race up in the appropriate NZ Motoring News mag (published by David McKinney - though he may have sold it by then).

Stu
    The "appropriate" NZ Motoring News was actually Dave's last as Managing Editor.

Baigent/Lowe BMW won the race by about 20 secs from the Crichton car, but Crichton/Wilkinson BMW won the 3-race series overall from the Fowler/Stoneman Commodore, with the Baigent car 3rd.

The Garry Pederson/Dave McMillan Fiat Ritmo was up to 3rd at one stage, but retired late in the race with a breakage when lying 4th.

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post

Stu
    The "appropriate" NZ Motoring News was actually Dave's last as Managing Editor.

Baigent/Lowe BMW won the race by about 20 secs from the Crichton car, but Crichton/Wilkinson BMW won the 3-race series overall from the Fowler/Stoneman Commodore, with the Baigent car 3rd.

The Garry Pederson/Dave McMillan Fiat Ritmo was up to 3rd at one stage, but retired late in the race with a breakage when lying 4th.

Stu

1961 New Zealand Lady Wigram Trophy Race

Name:  1961 Lady Wigram Trophy.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  127.7 KB

1961 New Zealand Wigram Motor Racing Club Championship Race

Name:  1961 Wigram Motor Racing Club Championship.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  118.5 KB

1961 New Zealand Wigram Invitation Motor Bikes Race

Name:  1961 Wigram Invitation Motor Bikes.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  91.6 KB

1961 New Zealand Wigram Saloon Car Race

Name:  1961 Wigram Saloon Cars.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  107.1 KB

1961 New Zealand Wigram Sports Car Race

Name:  1961 Wigram Sports Cars.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  131.4 KB

Semi-Pro Racer

The Wet Wet Wigram

This was the celebrated meeting where Mansel(TecMec), Bob Smith(Ferrari) and Brian Blackburn(Maserati 4CLT) all aquaplaned off into the same part of the ditch in practice

It rained on the Friday practice day, getting heavier as the day progressed so practice was abandoned, to be resumed on race day morning before racing could start.

It was still raining Saturday but the show went on, the Lady Wigram Race was shortened to 47 laps, most people went off at some stage in the race apart from winner Jack Brabham. Frank Shuter virtually demolished his Ferrari and a marshal's car - described on another thread I think(?).

Angus Hyslop had a great day. Third in the main race in a 2.0 Cooper, on the same lap as the leaders,and second in both the Motor Racing Club Trophy and the Sports Car Race in his D-Type Jaguar; 87 laps in all and about two and a half hours' racing!

Stu