Motor racing is an emotional sport. The object of teams and drivers giving 100%, putting in insanely long hours, all in an effort to be first to the chequer, can bring out the best and worst in people. Sometimes people say things in the heat of the moment they might not normally say. But that is part of the sport, and something the media and fans thrive on.

Motor racing also has more than its fare share of larger than life figures, show-men, and silver tongued characters to whom the fans hang off every word.

The sport has produced some classic quotes over the years, and although the media and sponsorship pressures in modern motorsport are increasingly shaping drivers into robots who carefully pick and choose what they say, and limit their words and emotions to avoid getting themselves into hot water, The Roaring Season is a historic website, and one which celebrates history, and all the larger than life characters of the past who weren't suffocated by the limitations brought about by political correctness.

So how about a thread dedicated to great racing quotes.

I'll kick off with one of my favourites, Aussie Kevin Bartlett, at Bathurst in 1981, when his Channel 9 Camaro was punched off the track and out of a potential race win when he collided with the Commodore of Ron Wanless when coming up to lap him.

Back in the pits, as his team set about trying to repair the damage, and with a fuming Bartless still sitting in the car, tv commentator Evan Green thought it would be a good time to get KBs thoughts:

"Its just a complete and utter amateur nincompoop got in the way and turned right, just went straight across my path and put me straight in the fence and I took him, mate, that guy has to be black flagged, I'm going to punch him in the mouth when the race is over!".