Thread: Great Motorsport Quotes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I can't remember the exact quote from DJ at Bathhurst when there were different makes and capacities but to the effect of complaining about the slower, smaller cars getting in his way, referred to as overtaking "a load of wombats in billy carts".

Journeyman Racer
    "Mate, it's like following a block of flats"

Dick Johnson on trying to pass the Franicivec Volvo

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    I can't remember the exact quote from DJ at Bathhurst when there were different makes and capacities but to the effect of complaining about the slower, smaller cars getting in his way, referred to as overtaking "a load of wombats in billy carts".
    Hadn't JB just punted a Toyota into the boonies which caused that tirade. Possibly John Smith/Drew price?

I have looked in vain to confirm this story and cannot for the life of me verify the source, so this is coming from memory. In 1966 Jackie Stewart crashed in the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps and found himself trapped in the car, with petrol leaking from a ruptured fuel tank. From then on he became a vocal advocate for greater safety in motor racing, attracting for himself a good deal of criticism and opprobrium. Among many other safety innovations that resulted from this campaign during the late '60s and early 70's was detachable steering wheels to ease access to the cockpit, especially egress of course. Later in his career, when driving for the taciturn Ken Tyrrell, Stewart had an incident that caused him to abandon his car out on the circuit somewhere. He removed the steering wheel to prevent someone pilfering it (probably Monza...) and trudged disconsolately back to the pits clutching the steering wheel. When Tyrrell spied him he allegedly shouted to the hapless driver: "Is that what broke, or is that all that's left?"

"Mate this thing couldnt pull a sick baby off the family po'. " - Dick Johnson on his underperforming Sierra.

"For fxxx's sake, don't light a cigarette." - John French, upside down
    "Sorry Mr K., it's not your day."