Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Great Motorsport Quotes

"Plucked it in first and gave it some jandal Fuck yeah!!!"
    Modern day quote from a Volvo driver,
    Who says all V8 Supercar drivers are bland and boring?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post

Better than the soft cock quote from the so-called official after re-start balls up, 'you could see the speed difference between them and Wincup' "TUI"
    TV sure looked different, what an easy set up, you just slow down and the front guy's get dicked. The whole restart system is a big balls up, and found it hard to keep a straight face when they announced the 'Driver standards' person.

Mate young cheese must have done something naughty to some official or his extended family

This isn't so much a quote, its actually a small section from the brilliant Smokey Yunick book Best Damn Garage In Town. If you've not read this book, I highly recommend it. Smokey was one of those right there at the beginning of Nascar, and he tells holds no punches. He talks about his childhood, his time in the war, and his time spent in Indycar racing and Nascar. Its over 600 pages long, with very small text. Its a bit like reading a large exercise book. But its very funny, and provides an excellent insight into what Nascar was really like in the early days, which many prefer to avoid now, given its clean-cut image. Here is a small segment:

"The early newspaper and magazine reports didn't know a damn thing about auto racing, and didn't want to know. I had an idea that being sent to a race track to report was then a form of punishment for a reporter who fucked up. I can remember George Moore was a reporter for an Atlanta paper. He interviewed me and printed that we, "removed and threw away shocks as part of preparation for racing". At the time George was totally ignorant technically (He eventually became very good at race reporting).

"In 1964, he interviews me at Atlanta. I'm really way too busy, and he's too goddamned dumb to notice it. He asks about a car I built to run Indy, that originally was to have a turbine engine in it. He kept calling it a rocket engine. No matter how much I tried to get him to understand there was a huge difference, he would not listen. So he says, "Why did you change your mind and put a regular engine in instead of the rocket?" (The real reason was that I thought I was getting engine free to use, but they wanted $36,000 in advance for a rebuild cost when I finished and at the time I couldn't have handled $3,600, but I did have a good Offenhauser).

"Anyway, I'm really up to my eras with him by then, so I said, "You know how they make the rocket fuel here close by Atlanta?" (And they did, I don't remember the town) He said, "Yes, he knew." I said, "We found out all rocket fuel was made in square shapes and there were no small enough fuel lines manufactured in square shapes, so for lack of fuel lines, we switched to alcohol and an Otto cycle engine." He printed it".

So true.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The book is still available on his website.....about $ US30 I think.
    Even lists his favourite drivers, of which Denny is one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    This isn't so much a quote, its actually a small section from the brilliant Smokey Yunick book Best Damn Garage In Town. If you've not read this book, I highly recommend it. Smokey was one of those right there at the beginning of Nascar, and he tells holds no punches. He talks about his childhood, his time in the war, and his time spent in Indycar racing and Nascar. Its over 600 pages long, with very small text. Its a bit like reading a large exercise book. But its very funny, and provides an excellent insight into what Nascar was really like in the early days, which many prefer to avoid now, given its clean-cut image. Here is a small segment:

"The early newspaper and magazine reports didn't know a damn thing about auto racing, and didn't want to know. I had an idea that being sent to a race track to report was then a form of punishment for a reporter who fucked up. I can remember George Moore was a reporter for an Atlanta paper. He interviewed me and printed that we, "removed and threw away shocks as part of preparation for racing". At the time George was totally ignorant technically (He eventually became very good at race reporting).

"In 1964, he interviews me at Atlanta. I'm really way too busy, and he's too goddamned dumb to notice it. He asks about a car I built to run Indy, that originally was to have a turbine engine in it. He kept calling it a rocket engine. No matter how much I tried to get him to understand there was a huge difference, he would not listen. So he says, "Why did you change your mind and put a regular engine in instead of the rocket?" (The real reason was that I thought I was getting engine free to use, but they wanted $36,000 in advance for a rebuild cost when I finished and at the time I couldn't have handled $3,600, but I did have a good Offenhauser).

"Anyway, I'm really up to my eras with him by then, so I said, "You know how they make the rocket fuel here close by Atlanta?" (And they did, I don't remember the town) He said, "Yes, he knew." I said, "We found out all rocket fuel was made in square shapes and there were no small enough fuel lines manufactured in square shapes, so for lack of fuel lines, we switched to alcohol and an Otto cycle engine." He printed it".

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I once came across a certain pre 65 car that had a sticker by the rev counter that said" treat me like a woman, warm me up before you screw me"

Quote Originally Posted by paul lancaster View Post
    I once came across a certain pre 65 car that had a sticker by the rev counter that said" treat me like a woman, warm me up before you screw me"
    Ha ha Paul love it BUT dont forget to warm the tyres & brakes as well to many guys GO OFF on the first corner getting OVER EXCITED

one I remember from a speedway track in Canada
    "he must be cheating, hell I am and I can't get near him"

[QUOTE=928;40503]one I remember from a speedway track in Canada
    Yea mate have many times have we heard that . one ?.................................

From one of NZ's former champion motorcycle riders, "The only thing worse than getting caught cheating is to get behind in the cheating"

World Champion
    “I Saw Elvis at 1000 Feet” - John Force