Thread: The Steve Twist Collection - Part 3

The Steve Twist Collection - Part 3

Name:  main image 1.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  92.8 KB

I thought Part 2 of The Steve Twist Collection was to be the final part in this series. Part 1 and Part 2 were both fascinating, and Steve's beautiful photos perfectly captured a brief period in New Zealand motorsport history that is now long gone. Steve took photos for several years after those that appeared in Parts 1 and 2, but he was sure these were long since lost.

However, on a recent trip back to New Zealand from his home in Delaware, where he has resided since the late 80s, Steve discovered, to his delight, many more of his old photos on a family visit. Steve took these photos back to the US with him, and is in the process of having them scanned. However, he sent me a small sample, and I've scanned these for Part 3 of the collection.

Enjoy.

You can see Steve has a passion for Mustangs, and big banger V8s in general. Kicking things off is a lovely photo from (I think) Levin showing Paul Fahey leading Red Dawson (ex Segedin Mustang) Robbie Francevic, and Frank Bryan.

I love the last shot in this post, of Spinner Black having a big lose in his new Camaro, helping cement his nickname.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  126.0 KB

This Jim Clark shot is absolutely stunning, and captures beautifully the great racer relaxing during his summer holiday down-under.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  122.9 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  117.6 KB

There are some wonderful shots of the Robbie Francevic Fairlane here.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  96.8 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  96.8 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  109.4 KB

Another great shot of Francevics Fairlane in here, along with Ron McPhails A40, and the Custaxie, pre-paint.

Is that Roy Harringtons Imp in the fourth picture?

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  110.7 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  151.8 KB

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  108.5 KB

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  96.0 KB

Another nice shot of the Norm Beechey Chevy Nova at Bay Park.

I wish there were more, but for now, this is it. Thanks once again to Steve for sharing these wonderful photos.

Name:  25.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  111.8 KB

Name:  26.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  98.0 KB

Name:  28.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  160.6 KB

I remember that lose by Spinner Black - the car ended up on the inside of the circuit bogged to the floorpan in the swamp.

It is indeed the Roy Harrington Imp, chasing Graham Watson. The mini chasing the two Mustangs is the Rodger Anderson Lexington #96.
    But you will get a slap on the leg if you spell Jim Clark with an "e", Steve. I'm not being unkind. It's just not allowed, mate.

The Stanton Corvette running #53 will be Geoff Mardon.

The #121 Cortina is the much-admired John Ward : looks like Bruce McLean in the #87 car in the background behind Bob Stewart's mini.
    Last edited by GD66; 08-26-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Great stuff, possibly even better than the previous ones. Awesome to see so many photos of the Franecivic Fairlane in colour.
    I wish the Stanton still looked like that today instead of the stubby nose in currently has.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The A40, not McPhail, either Kerry Grant or Jim Mullins I think? I was looking at the masking tape on each side of the w/screen thinking it might be an aero enhancement, but notice the 'streaking' & wonder if its a perspex screen that was trying to revert to its stock 'flat' condition.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 08-26-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Great stuff, possibly even better than the previous ones. Awesome to see so many photos of the Franecivic Fairlane in colour.
    I wish the Stanton still looked like that today instead of the stubby nose in currently has.
    I agree on both counts Gavin, I don't think I've seen so many colour shots of the Fairlane, and certainly never one from the back. And yes, I also like the Stanton as it appears here.

Great photos and good to see so many in colour - especially the Fairlane. Thanks for sharing them and I am looking forward to the next batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    The A40, not McPhail, either Kerry Grant or Jim Mullins I think? I was looking at the masking tape on each side of the w/screen thinking it might be an aero enhancement, but notice the 'streaking' & wonder if its a perspex screen that was trying to revert to its stock 'flat' condition.
    I was in a major rush when I posted these last night. I just went and checked, and yes you're right.

If that's the option, then probably Mullins' A40. That pic in post #2 is a ripper, with Red Dawson's old Mustang with the nose high in the air : he was certainly something of a folk hero in the older car, and it looks like he and Fahey certainly got stuck into it at that meeting.
    The other thing I hadn't immediately noticed in those beautifully-coloured pics from the esses at Pukekohe : what about the massive crowd on the infield at the hairpin ? Amazing.