Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Going Even Older!!!

I know where there is a 1200 twincarb motor and a early twin carb mainifold off a 948 if you are interested

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    Attachment 10652
    It needs a set of Spitfire wires and a personalised plate SFM 777. Sir Stirling would be impressed
    I should imagine RogerH and his cohorts would not be impressed if I were to put a set of Borranis, as were used on SMC, on a doggy Standard 10!
    It looks too high for my eye too. And of course to be correct it would have to be an 8 with 10 mechanicals. Interesting isn't it? Moss with a hotted up base model car, current F1 with somewhat higher levels of personal transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I should imagine RogerH and his cohorts would not be impressed if I were to put a set of Borranis, as were used on SMC, on a doggy Standard 10!
    It looks too high for my eye too. And of course to be correct it would have to be an 8 with 10 mechanicals. Interesting isn't it? Moss with a hotted up base model car, current F1 with somewhat higher levels of personal transport.
    Yes Rhys, I would be really impressed if you put Borranis on it as they would increase the value of the car by a few multiples and with even basic "modern" tyres you would spend most of your time replacing broken spokes. Somewhere lurking in my parts bin I think I have a spare set of 1960s 12" Borranis that would make it look a bit lower ............

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Something followed me home this afternoon. Now there is time to do something before December at Taupo, Roycroft next April. Even if there are only a handful to demonstrate the concept, it's a start!
    Rhys, A stray dog followed me home last week & his name was Rover. My regards to Stan but be careful the men in white coats don't take you away, aha!

Banned
    Rhys, I should add the following as I would be terribly upset if you though I was taking the piss.

The restoration of my Standrive is well under way, just awaiting the delivery of new rubber bands for the trans.

Regards,

Russ

Standrive worked on those ,I still have nightmares and visions of men in white coats ,when ever you mention that name,two pedal control they used to advertise ,makes it sound like a pedal car

Quote Originally Posted by RUSS CUNNINGHAM View Post
    Rhys, I should add the following as I would be terribly upset if you though I was taking the piss.

The restoration of my Standrive is well under way, just awaiting the delivery of new rubber bands for the trans.

Regards,

Russ

Just to bring this up to date.
    I have not given up, yet.
    Roycroft was a bit dismal, 6 entries, but sadly all did not arrive. Those who did got a a lot of laps!
    I am told that there has been a "new" car purchased over the weekend, 107e, another 107e is available, prepped for paint for a very fair sum. An owner of a very early Mk 2 Jag has expressed interest, and of course there is a black and silver Standard available as a very cheap car to use right away
    Possible events for the upcoming season include Chelsea hillclimb, HRSCC meeting at Taupo first weekend December, Ngawhini (Taranaki) and of course Roycroft 14/15 March

Well here we go again! The HRSCC /VCC meeting at Taupo is on in December and a great chance to have a play with your "older" saloon. Roycroft is on 14/15 March and again there are slots for the saloons.
    To re-iterate, we are not seeking to create a class for even older pre 65s, more a chance for those eligible cars to have an "enthusiastic thrash". Whatever you may have, as long as it and the engine are pre 31 December 1960 is more than welcome. Rubbing is not racing, prizes of chocolate fish are awarded at documentation so there is nothing to encourage you to beat anyone else except your own pride. email me at pre61saloonregister@gmail.com for any help or advice I can offer. WOF standard vehicles are required. (Don't have to be registered, just to the standard)

Just had news of a Renault 4cv/750 being finished for this! Hirsty, I will be in touch.

Is it this weekend for the Chelsea Hillclimb? If so, will be there, armed with a camera not a steering wheel.

When I was lookinng for a project car to be repowerd by a Rover V8, top of my list was a Riley 1.5 (I remember the late Alan Payne in the UK sprinting his - "Smiley" the Riley).

Second choice was a Standard 10.

Then the decrepit Magnette was advertised in the MGCC newsletter...
    Last edited by ERC; 11-06-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Where are you at with the "decrepit" Magnette at the moment?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Ray Chelsea was last weekend. There are pictures on my facebook page. A Bentley, Bugatti, Tiger Moth Riley, Austin A30, JBS, Bucklers, MGs, 1906 Darracq, A 90 year old on a BSA Bantam and a few more it was a good event
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Is it this weekend for the Chelsea Hillclimb? If so, will be there, armed with a camera not a steering wheel.

When I was lookinng for a project car to be repowerd by a Rover V8, top of my list was a Riley 1.5 (I remember the late Alan Payne in the UK sprinting his - "Smiley" the Riley).

Second choice was a Standard 10.

Then the decrepit Magnette was advertised in the MGCC newsletter...

Oh drat!!! Pity it wasn't mentioned on here - or if it was, I missed it.

As for the decrepit MG, I have had a very, very, mentally traumatic three years and a very physically traumatic two years, since being made aware of the "Hobby Car Manual" December 2010 - which is the bible for the LVVTA, plus MSNZ issues.

About 10 months ago, I thought we had cracked it with an LVVTA plate finally issued, but it failed compliance on an LVVTA issue in February and on the lack of a repair certificate for the extensive body repairs.

Let's just say that to say any more on a public forum would not be a wise move at the moment.
    Last edited by ERC; 11-07-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Ray Chelsea was last weekend. There are pictures on my facebook page. A Bentley, Bugatti, Tiger Moth Riley, Austin A30, JBS, Bucklers, MGs, 1906 Darracq, A 90 year old on a BSA Bantam and a few more it was a good event
    Graeme
    Did the bantam race from the top to the bottom ?

Semi-Pro Racer

No Kevin he is a true racer. Two stroke smoke bottom to top.

No Kevin he is a true racer. Two stroke smoke bottom to top.
    Great, G.B. the one I had as a lad would have taken half the day to get up there, that was before we found out abou t porting & compression though, just wish the locost was old enough to compete, maybe when [if] I get to ninety it may be eligeable, no I will have to be 100 on countback.

The dreaded bantam, this one's at Ballaugh Bridge on the Isle of Man, can't quite see if it's been going quick enough to blow the ash off his fag...Name:  bantam ciggie.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  42.6 KB

GD, do you know who this is? A very good friend in the UK prepared a Bantam for the IOM way way back which went rather well, certainly in the top 10. After the race he was offered a job to make (I think) Yamahas go better. When he asked how much pay, he declined as he reckoned he could not drink that much Guiness. I did some research and it turned out the offer had been made, stupid as it may seem.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    The dreaded bantam, this one's at Ballaugh Bridge on the Isle of Man, can't quite see if it's been going quick enough to blow the ash off his fag...Name:  bantam ciggie.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  42.6 KB
    Must have excellent cig, lighter. also can,t see ashtray attached to bike. Who was that man Reece ?

Didn't the telegram boys at the Post Office all ride BSA Bantams back in the UK? I'm sure the petrol tank wasn't that large though! Brilliant pic.