Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Going Even Older!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Didn't the telegram boys at the Post Office all ride BSA Bantams back in the UK? I'm sure the petrol tank wasn't that large though! Brilliant pic.
    No not original, probably running on methanol / castrol R, never been a better smell invented yet, uses a lot more,

When I was at College in 1971, there was a friends brother who had a Bantam, they used to call it a sawer- no, not Soarer- because it sounded like a chainsaw.
    Also in 1969 ,a group of young teens used to fly model aeroplanes- control line- with gloplug engines. We used to think that the bottles of Methane 1000 -read methanol- from ModelAir was great smelling as we filled the tanks. Probably helped prepare us for circuit racing.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 11-10-2014 at 05:23 AM.

Well, time to get this back up. 9 cars this year at Roycroft, and even then missing a couple from last year who will be back.
    There has been a stream of phone calls, and with other meetings being offered (October) this is your real chance to get in. Some of the current cars are being given a birthday, one entrant reverting almost to his roots in motorsport to run a car similar to his second, full steam ahead!!

Lift off has been achieved. I am advised tonight of yet another car underway. Time for the fence sitters to come and play!

Well, as some may know we have been offered a grid at Icebreaker. This means we have serious recognition, now just have to front up and fulfil those expectations. More always welcome to come and join us!

Great news Rhys. Running at just one race meeting a year was never going to attract big support. Hopefully, if successful, you'll get invites to more HRC meetings and that should encourage a few more out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Great news Rhys. Running at just one race meeting a year was never going to attract big support. Hopefully, if successful, you'll get invites to more HRC meetings and that should encourage a few more out there.
    We always had 2 race meetings plus sprint and hillclimbs, but you are right. Getting the extra invites will be a bit "chicken and egg". More invitations needs more cars, to get more cars.... Nil Bastardum Carborundum!

Well this is the "sign off" on this topic from me.
    I tried, I failed.
    Despite finding cars, building them up for others to use and such, there is little growth in the concept, in the North Island at least.
    In the mainland it is taking off with the enthusiasts down there buying cars, agreeing on where they are going, and in the next few months the "pre 61, as it was" group will be viable.
    I do thank those who supported the idea, both those who talked about it, and even more those who have cars and will progress this to whatever level it may be.
    Enjoy, as the girl in the cafe might say.
    See you

At least you gave it a crack, OF. So much better than sitting on the couch moaning, "Why can't the club do ABC etc" It is bloody hard to get something off the ground, for a start there are SO many categories in NZ motorsport already that many of them run in a niche with overlaps on both sides. Unfortunately expressions of goodwill, half-pissed conjecture and tyre-kicking from those threatening to join in don't get it done but it would be a shame if you couldn't get your squad together for at least one combined attack a year and hope to build from there.

That is a shame Rhys. Part of the problem is that we are probably too late to rescue enough pre 1961's from the crusher.

With good examples of even modest cars now fetching good money, I think that finding enough raceable ones was always going to be an uphill battle. Years ago in the UK, the pre '57 saloons, when they could be picked up fairly cheaply were moderately popular, but grids were rarely full even then.

They did allow very limited modifications and they were enough to make the racing pretty good. Bog standard 60 year old cars on modern tracks are a bit lost and personally, I would have liked to have seen limited modifications allowed, to make them a) more enjoyable to drive b) better to watch, even if there were two classes - or more. Nowadays, numbers on the grid are essential, even if it does mean mixed grids.

Well, I did say "signing off " a few posts back.
    As many will have seen from the ERC and Nigel Watts pics the HRC has picked up the ball and there are a number of events for the cars, even if they haven't got their own grid YET. So, for all those wh thought it might be interesting, you can still join in. Even though I am now living in the UK I know where there are cars ready, or almost so, to run and under 7K so...