Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Even Older!!!

World Champion
    Bob...how about a Borgward Fliessheck 2400s for starters

My goodness a fast back Vanguard !

Remember this runs under Vintage rules. Motorsport do not have involvement in any way as long as it complies. All cars need to have VIC which comes from VCC and all drivers need to have a vintage race licence. Yes more documents, they cost approx $35 for 3 years!

World Champion
    I have an idea. This class is ONLY for pensioner age drivers. These guys are of course MUCH more sensible than younger fellows.....except when they get behind the wheel. !!!!. No, seriously, you are right that this is a class that would attract an "older" driver. Bob was mentioning wheels in a safety aspect of racing....so what about mag wheels? When I raced the MG 1100 in the BMC series in 1986/7 it had mag wheels, and although I generally came last in every race, despite the efforts of the handicapper, I actually finished the series in 7th spot, if only because I attended every meeting, which some of the others did not. Didn't have a roll-bar then either, but that was the old days. We struggled to get a good grid of cars then so the rules were fairly flexible, well perhaps not flexible, but we were ENcouraged, rather than DIScouraged.

World Champion
    Anyway ,the MG 1100 is out as the ado16 range did not appear till 1962, so I will have to have a rethink. Pity, as it was fun to drive and sort of looked the part, despite the sniggers I got from some my more wealthy fellow racers. Am just raking my brains for some inspiration as to a suitable vehicle....would have to be English....cant stand those funny foreign jobs as you know from my comments in Yards & Yarns. Shivers Bob, I can see you getting some business here modifying cylinder heads, and you will be so busy that you wont have time to race.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I can think of a few guys who might be up for something like this; Re the driver eligibility, simple, you have to have been born before the cutoff date for the cars, ie before 1960, or like the vintage car rules with the ** year old thing. that would work better, so today we would need to be 51 years old, make it simple & the age is 50 or higher so each year you get a fresh crop of eligible drivers [ by attrition a certain number exiting out the top end of the age pyramid...... dont ask me how your going to stop the cheating though, your going to be reintroducing a heap of guys who have all these demon tweaks running around in the old brain, thats why Bob probably needs a borgward, has probably found the crank from an Isuzu diesel will fit in it!!! Oh its gotta be non contact...I hate doing bodywork...

Car, 55/57 T-Bird sounds good to me

For the borgward candidates.. T/Me auction # 405654339...1957 Isabella, ... no excuses now!!
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 09-16-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spl & extras & extras

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    I expect Ellis will be on here soon ,reminding us about the FJ Holden ,now that would be another great choice and a even bigger reason to catch up with Ellis at Baskerville and see some in the flesh first hand ,thats some thing else on my to do list at the mement
    The no Grandson thing sounds good as well Dale
    Bob
    This Class....Good ideas...Go for it..... and there must still be a few old Humpies in NZ.
    Spare bits are drying up for all these old clunkers, thats the only drawback.
    See you at Baskerville then. Supposed to be there for a 2 day meeting this weekend
    but still waiting for a couple of (gold plated) head gaskets.

Ellis
    Baskerville Humpy display laps 2009
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpZ2w-B63EI
    Last edited by Ellis; 09-16-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: link added

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    I can think of a few guys who might be up for something like this; Re the driver eligibility, simple, you have to have been born before the cutoff date for the cars, ie before 1960, or like the vintage car rules with the ** year old
    For the borgward candidates.. T/Me auction # 405654339...1957 Isabella, ... no excuses now!!
    Actually looking on the serious side at this ,as I remember the cylinder head looked OK on those ,with centre spark plug etc ,looks like its got a decent brake cylinder set up,plenty of room around the engine
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bob homewood; 09-17-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: extras

Fantastic idea - we can look forward to seeing racing similar to this

Name:  img524 copy.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  167.2 KB

Name:  img539.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  168.9 KB

Name:  img542 copy.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  167.2 KB

Name:  img532.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  156.4 KB

Name:  img538 copy.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  149.6 KB

Name:  img531.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  184.3 KB

May be the Borgward Name:  Borgward_59_Arabella_Engine.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  52.5 KB
    Arabella might be a better choice if you can find one ,this engine made in 1959 evolved into the Subaru around 1986

World Champion
    Now theres an idea.....an Arabella with a WRX engine. !!!!!! Whos going to know. Should be able to blow off an A35 or two. First, find your Arabella. Wonder why these things did no good....the potential was obviously there. No, I think I'll stick to something BMC...we have the technology!!

Its amazing how close that engine resembles the early Subaru ,and if you scratch around a bit you find reference to the fact that the Borgward Isabella engine morphed into the BMW M20 !, thats what I really like about automotive history,bit like a Airbus with a computer glitch you never know where its taking you ,might sound a bit crazy ,but the Borgward thing has always interested me

Bit more here for those that are not sick of my ramblings,That green car would look good at Hampton Downs ,not sure about those tyre angles though
    http://www.borgward.org.uk/racing_history.htm
    Last edited by bob homewood; 09-17-2011 at 03:02 AM.

World Champion
    Bob, has the Borgward got independant rear suspension....certainly looks like it. Might be like driving a old Skoda Felicia. Dont like that cornering attitude....no stuff Borgwards.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Bob, has the Borgward got independant rear suspension....certainly looks like it. Might be like driving a old Skoda Felicia. Dont like that cornering attitude....no stuff Borgwards.
    Yes would be similar ,but most of the road tests rate the suspension quite well ,don't think it would be a problem lowered and with a camber compensator ( if its allowed ) on the rear like we used to do to the VW's
    Found this breif
    A superbly-engineered car that was a revelation in its day. Alloy-head 1500 engine puts out an impressive 75bhp, which Ford only just surpassed eight years later with the Cortina GT, and no Cortina ever enjoyed the Isabella’s independent rear suspension. Before he became a Vauxhall tuning guru, Bill Blydenstein successfully raced one in the Fifties. Brakes are another strong point and even the four-speed column-change is a delight to use. Thanks to a strong following in their native Germany, parts supply is almost total.

( I guess that last comments means parts are still avaliable }

??

How about this one?
    Hint, it's NOT a Borgward and this photo is in period!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Semi-Pro Racer
    Peugeot.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Peugeot.....?
    Yes 203.

I have been asked by the VCC Waitemata Branch.. Nigel, could they use one of your photos for publicity for the next (2012) Roycroft trophy meeting for publicity?

AND our special guest for 2011 was Ivy Stephenson who, as well as being the previous owner of the Buckler also used a Borgward TS, so who is going to find one of these and front up?
    Last edited by Oldfart; 09-17-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Error of fact