Thread: 50 Years Of Bathurst

World Champion

50 Years Of Bathurst

World Champion

World Champion

World Champion

World Champion

World Champion

Nice one Bry, those are great! To be honest I'm slightly confused, I would have thought the 50 year celebrations would be in 2013, given this race, albeit in 500 mile format, began in 1963.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The 50th anniversary of racing at Bathurst fell in 1988. The 50th anniversary of the Bathurst saloon race is a different matter...

Yes thats correct too David. But on the weekend celebrating 50 years of what has become an annual touring car endurance race each October, "The great race", which first began at Bathurst in 1963.

World Champion
    If you count 1963 as the first race , according to my sums , that makes 2012 number 50

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    If you count 1963 as the first race , according to my sums , that makes 2012 number 50
    Glad you don't make up my wages, no bonus, no holiday, just the bare essentials. Yep same on my calculator Bry.

World Champion
    And thats not counting the 2 Un-Australian Super Touring races

Is a " V8 Supercar " a true Touring Car ? these purpose built products of a race team never started life on a manufacturers production line and do not have a factory I.D. plate whereas a series production GTHO or GTR-XU1 ,a group C A9X or XC Hardtop and an improved production trans-am Mustang all originally started life as a normal production line touring car which was road legal before being used for track work.Any comments Gentlemen ?

Of course the are not touring cars.They are gutted jungle gyms which bear no resemblance to any know vehicle. I can't think what our future classics will be, anyone for a ex racing Suzuki swift with history,or maybe this ''as it was so it shall be'' Mini Cooper BMW. I think not.

World Champion

for years i had always looked forward to the big race and i have to say it was a great race last sunday ,but its lost some of that for me and all of australian motor racing the australian media and the ones who run this sport over there ,because of what i saw in a magazine 12 years ago for me its lost that feel about it .I love the sport my boys are in it and we are back into speedway again for this year and looking again for a safe year and some great racing.so if you want to see what great racing is all about get along to speedway and being the kids they will love it ,being the cook with you get her out of the kitchen for the night.