Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PDL Mustang 1

I believe Steve Ross has a 750 hp nascar engine and jerico in the car now, apparently he does have the weslake heads, wouldnt it be neat if he put it back to how it was and with the electric blue color scheme and brought it up to run with us in HSS

Hi George, I know Steve quite well and have constantly badgered him to get this car back on the track where it belongs. The car is electric blue, but hasn't been finished with the dark blue and yellow pin stripe detailing.

The HSS series looks great and it's amazing to see these old big bangers back out there. It would certainly be a real crowd pleaser to have the Sidchrome and PDL cars back out there together. Thanks for getting us halfway there.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Does the Sidchrome Mustang still exist, have seen one that looks like it, but different name?
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Hallett View Post
    Hi George, I know Steve quite well and have constantly badgered him to get this car back on the track where it belongs. The car is electric blue, but hasn't been finished with the dark blue and yellow pin stripe detailing.

The HSS series looks great and it's amazing to see these old big bangers back out there. It would certainly be a real crowd pleaser to have the Sidchrome and PDL cars back out there together. Thanks for getting us halfway there.
    I agree with those sentiments whole-heartedly Leon.

Couple pics I snapped while visiting Roy MacDonald recently. The Mustang has no motor at present. Roy and Steve pulled the motor from this car and put it in the ex-Rob Kennard Cortina OSCA car, as it more closely fitted the motor that the Cortina raced with in period than the Mustang. They're wanting to build an alloy block motor for the Mustang, as it raced in period with an alloy block motor, which then went into PDL II when that was built. Roy was also saying they're keen to get the car back on track soon. I told him how a lot of people in the North Island would also love to see this car again, and he said it will happen.

Name:  IMG_9305.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  180.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9312.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  168.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9313.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  130.8 KB

This awesome photo of PDL I was posted on Facebook. Looks like it was during one of its Australian races.

Name:  10277955_10202968012067538_2129549667000693260_n.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  113.7 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    I just happen to know where there is/was one of those alloy block clevo's for sale if they are looking hard!

That would be a nice thing to own Jac. The Stewart family have one out of the old one out of PDL I and II on display at their workshop/conference room. Its the one that broke in 1979 at Wigram in the PDL II.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    That would be a nice thing to own Jac. The Stewart family have one out of the old one out of PDL I and II on display at their workshop/conference room. Its the one that broke in 1979 at Wigram in the PDL II.
    Not sure that I would want to use one of the 'originals' that they used in the day though, originality has its price. Cast in alloy from the factory cast iron patterns and lacking in material around main bearing webs- story I got was they were meant to be scrapped.

Nows a suitable time to mention that Arrow in Aus are making brand new cast Cleveland 351 blocks. Good for 1200-1500hp.
    Dont worry about period incorrect Darts or 40 year old alloy.