Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
Front row of the grid: 1 Bira (250F), 4 Gaze (3-litre Ferrari)
Second row 2 Whitehead (3-litre Ferrari), 3 Hunt (Maserati A6GCM/250), 77 Davison (HWM-Jaguar), 9 Palmer (Palmer Special), 6 Cobden (s/c Ferrari V12) plus Bira's OSCA

Chris - I don't think AD's hiding under another name here. He doesn't bother with internet forums (though I wouldn't be surprised if he's sneaked the odd look)
Well that clears that up for me...The HWM in the photo must be HW3 and not the Gaze/Horton/Clark car which I drove at Country Gents Wigram back in the late 80's....did it have a C/number?. Anyway what a blast with the big jag motor and no seat belts hanging on round Bombay and down the straight nearly forgetting to put it into 4th and still not getting to the rev limit at what I was told was 145MPH with my helmet strangling me with the windage (I'm 6'1" and stick up a bit). The drum brakes hauled it up like discs and into the L hander. All was ok for a while until I tried to clip the Squadron Leaders door mat (as you did) outside the last RH hanger corner before the hairpin. Up over the bump and it nearly tossed me out (remember, no seat belts).
What a blast and will always remember that race and no wonder Wigram remains my favourite. I drove the car later with its Alta motor fitted before it went ot Gillie but it was not the same. Chris Read Arrowtown