Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Who What and Where?

Thanks Stephen, be rapt to see it all, so uncle Norm ah, going hard as usual. Now you have mentioned it if you look at stripes and the sign writing on bonnet all falls into place, knew someone would know.

my email grimmie64@xtra.co.nz

i'll size and post if you like, cheers.

Stephen, you may be able to help with this one as well, Obviously a very early team. O'Briens Diesel Engineering
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Semi-Pro Racer
    A few of the roll sequence from various sources...
    This was the end of PK752 No1....another car was built and only lightly raced before being sold to Neville Cooper of WA

This is the new car on debut after the roll...note number plate upside down referring to previous rollover

Last edited by Ellis; 08-11-2013 at 01:26 AM. Reason: pic added

Semi-Pro Racer
    The new PK752 (2) was only lightly raced before being sold and shipped by boat (Kooringa) to Neville Cooper in WA in Nov 64 . Beechey mentions in the documents that went with the car that his Mustang was imminent.

Neville ran it in WA at Caversham etc

In mid 66 Neville brought the car back to the East Coast to run it at Calder and Sandown
    I took this pic of car at Calder in Aug 66...

About 3 weeks after Calder Neville had a very big accident in the car at Sandown under the bridge and demolished the car and almost himself , being hospitalised for a long period. The car was parted out to various people to pay some bills.
    Last edited by Ellis; 08-11-2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: date

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Stephen, you may be able to help with this one as well, Obviously a very early team. O'Briens Diesel Engineering
    That looks like it is Dennis Obrien (Albury /Wagga area)
    He later purchased the White Tony Roberts HO2 that rolled at Bathurst on top of mountain in 70 and converted it to HO3 and painted same colour as cars in your pic ran it at Calder and Sandown etc. Not sure what he had after that.

Tony Roberts HO2 ex Bathurst 1970

Oldrace photos pic
    Last edited by Ellis; 08-11-2013 at 02:25 AM.

This might help a little bit......

http://www.vintageracingservices.com.au/About.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F4MukHK8UU

How good does the Galaxie sound from inside??

Rod,

Looks like Ellis has covered this one pretty well with Denis O'Brien's outfit from Wagga Wagga in country NSW. My first viewing of it says the circuit will be Winton to me (especially those trees). Maybe late 1960s/early 70s even. Unfortunately I have precious little in the way of Winton race programmes.

The Roaring Season needs Neil Hammond, long time photographer at Winton and many other circuits on here to help ID these more obscure driver/car combos. His archive would go back to this era I think.

Regarding the Beechey PK 752, Ellis has also done a great job covering that. His roll sequence is a bit different to the RCN shots. So I''m about to crank up the scanner and forward the photos and report to you.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    That looks like it is Dennis Obrien (Albury /Wagga area)
    He later purchased the White Tony Roberts HO2 that rolled at Bathurst on top of mountain in 70 and converted it to HO3 and painted same colour as cars in your pic ran it at Calder and Sandown etc. Not sure what he had after that.

Tony Roberts HO2 ex Bathurst 1970

Oldrace photos pic
    Dennis O,Brien in his GTHO( Ph2.5 ? ) at Calder,but who is the driver of the Shell-Yellow ( hint ) E-38 charger ?Name:  71090 (1).jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  109.6 KB

World Champion
    what and who?

World Champion
    The original caption reads " Teenagers pose with racing cars in Kaiwharawhara, Wellington, before the cars leave for the Gand Prix in Auckland; St Mungo Soap and Stipplecote Paint premises can be seen in the background'
    any ideas?

If I'm on the right track this will be prior to the 1956 NZ Grand Prix at Ardmore. Some of the International drivers cars.

VPA 9 is Tony Gaze HWM-Jaguar, next to Peter Whitehead"s Cooper-Jaguar, Reg Parnell's Aston Martin DB3S and the Maserati 250F should be the one Stirling Moss used to win the event.

One could only think this photo was staged for the likes of newspaper pre-event publicity.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    Dennis O,Brien in his GTHO( Ph2.5 ? ) at Calder,but who is the driver of the Shell-Yellow ( hint ) E-38 charger ?Name:  71090 (1).jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  109.6 KB

Remote chance of it being Dick Johnson relation later with Shell. The Geoghegans were the boys with these around this time though

We may have to run a 'Master Mind" off between you and Mr Kinney if you keep this up Stephen (Cooper997)

Good stuff, and great to find out the history.

World Champion
    Thanks Cooper - well done

Remote chance of it being Dick Johnson relation later with Shell. The Geoghegans were the boys with these around this time though

Na, Na. Got it, Its Norm Beechey

We may have to run a 'Master Mind" off between you and Mr Kinney if you keep this up Stephen (Cooper997)

Good stuff, and great to find out the history.
    No Mastermind, Rod or Bry3500.. David will win, he's been doing this caper for a lot longer. I await whether he will confirm or correct me.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    what and who?
    Ray Hare driving the Imperell
    post 489. thanks old fart
    Last edited by 928; 08-12-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: have been corrected

Quote Originally Posted by 928 View Post
    Ray Hare driving the Imperell
    Presume you mean post #489?
    It's possible I know where this is. Just seeking confirmation.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 08-12-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Na, Na. Got it, Its Norm Beechey
    Nailed it Rod.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    what and who?
    probably Ray Hare,builder of the Imperral...on the cover of NZ specials book by Vercoe...photo taken at Houghton Bay hill-climb