Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Who What and Where?

World Champion
    cropped
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion
    Can anyone confirm Johnny Buza?

Semi-Pro Racer
    I'm in the Bandini camp, especially as I don't recall many sets of 'Dunlop blue' overalls as far back as 1958. It was still usually t-shirts then

Johnny Buza was more round-faced, and probably a bit older

World Champion
    Thanks David...The guy who owns these pics found the slides in a rubbish dump. They are listed as from Teretonga 1958 . Was Bandini there? I can't find any reference to him being there. I will post the other slides..
    Last edited by bry3500; 07-29-2012 at 04:42 AM.

World Champion
    Looks a lot like the guy with his foot on the Cooper - I have done some digging. Maybe these shots were from different years. The Archie Scott Brown pic from 58, The other pics from 61 - 62 when Bandini was in NZ
    Last edited by bry3500; 07-28-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Yes my money is on Bandini

Just love the shot of Archie and Lister all dusty makes me feel at home

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Looks a lot like the guy with his foot on the Cooper - I have done some digging. Maybe these shots were from different years. The Archie Scott Brown pic from 58, The other pics from 61 - 62 when Bandini was in NZ
    Hmmm. Have to agree with the Teretonga 1962 theory. I mean, where would you find a 1961 Cooper back in 1958? Not Teretonga for sure. Men's fashion seems to have changed quite a bit in 4 years, too. No more business shirts and panama hats.

Stu

World Champion
    The photos were kindly supplied by Rab.G.P.Lewin - the other pics seem to be a mixture as well

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    The photos were kindly supplied by Rab.G.P.Lewin - the other pics seem to be a mixture as well
    In another post I mentioned my permanent number '19' and how I gave it away to Gavin to put back on this (and then his) car for originality - Gavin you never gave it back!!!! - Chris Read - Arrowtown.
    ps its ok as am used to #95 now.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Fairly obviously a mix of 1958 (Scott-Brown, Roycroft Ferrari) and 1962 (Bandini, Brabham and Moss Coopers etc). Both lots Teretonga

I think Pat Hoare used no 19 as well

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes he did, at which point Roycroft switched back to 88

What race did he use 88??

well before my time, but would 1958 be a little bit early for bandini? (But i do agree that was my first guess when i aw the picture)

Bandini 1935 ,,, 1967 raced in the wet 62 at Ardmore if I remember put one over on John Mansell by lapping slow er than Mansell in simila Cooper Maserati in an effort to sell John the car .. that car was to kill him down south when he never should have started but as every racer knows its hard to watch and not take part he was a great loss

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    What race did he use 88??
    Ron had used both 88 and 19 as racing numbers over a long period, as well as other numbers, presumably as dictated by race organisers.

The prewar midget was often 88, the P3 Alfa seems mostly to have been 19, the Bugatti mostly 88. The Ferrari was 88 at its Mairehau NZ debut with the sports car body, but 19 as a single-seater in 1957 and 1958 but then 88 in 1960 *. The RJR Special was 88 at Teretonga late 1958(?).

I'm confused now! Perhaps there's a pattern there somewhere.

Stu.

*When Pat Hoare was using number 19.
    Last edited by stubuchanan; 07-30-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: small glimmer of light on subject!

Strange how such am unimportant thing like a no can be so important,only yesterday I was comenting with a top bloke who has gone overseas I think about my number mostly was no 5 with out my asking then in 81 the Sports Sedans gave me no. 5 as a permanent no.That was fine untill some important prick decided he needed it and as he was twice my hight I said stuff not running anymore seeing I had had it for over five years .then Geoffrey had it and now Martin has been using it But like I said its not very important

HAY Jim not like you to go down with OUT Fight Jamie

Down but not out Jamie,, had some fun with Rex {hope he not on here}.When he turned up at BP 1980 in the red EType looking at the cars racing around rolling a smoke saying this is kids stuff after racing boats ,then after his first run trying to roll another smoke with hands so shaking was almost imposible.years later after he sold the E and back into sail yaughts he saw the fun I was having in the Paton{its for sale in Wellington} he went down and came back with the widebody black 7..He perswaded me to comedown to Taupo soon after just the two of us midweek,,to his disgust the Paton was faster untill an axle pulled out,,after that you came on the scene ,,more power each time he left you He still had a job to head me ,one race we got to the brake point and both refused to brake untill on the grass then at Wigram he had close to 16000 ?rpm and was staying with the PDL I think all the way down the back straight side by side untill you know what.But the best storey was some yrs. later now back into big yachts!!!{had to ask jan}duering the Auckland Tauranga race {he was a good sailor always nudging the steering arm{tiller I think} when I was driving} so I led to believe he was giving orders sipping on his rum like any good captain does when he disapered down a open hatch, A bloody good tough competitor and bloke