Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Who What and Where?

Thats what NZ farmers and Prince Andrew had in common. "They both had buggered old Fergies lying around"

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Thats what NZ farmers and Prince Andrew had in common. "They both had buggered old Fergies lying around"
    But the good old Fergies got to the South Pole ahead of the purpose-built Sno-Cats.

Ah but the Fergies to the South Pole were not 35s!

Fine old Beast First driving LESON age 10 go Fergies JAMIE

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Fine old Beast First driving LESON age 10 go Fergies JAMIE
    Remember struggling to find the starter?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Ah but the Fergies to the South Pole were not 35s!
    Now that can be another story. My late uncle went down and retreived them from Antarctica and bought them back. He was one of first to Scott Base back late 50s early 60s. He designed/built alot of it back then. Mum has photos somewhere.

World Champion
    Now that can be another story. My late uncle went down and retreived them from Antarctica and bought them back. He was one of first to Scott Base back late 50s early 60s. He designed/built alot of it back then. Mum has photos somewhere.
    Be great to see some pics Rod, in the meantime how about an MF35 Allcomer!

World Champion

Year OLD Fart! the old man and his army mate who owned the farm were the said BEAST lerked laughed themselvs till thay cried ? if you want to drive it you have to find the starter hee hee thay forgot I was A good watcher joke on them and the fence I hit
    Jamie A

Another Who?
    On Bringa Trailer this morning there is a photo shoot from Bonneville, in the slide show is a red Mini with signage from Nelson. Who is over there giving it a shot?

Bryan Hartley and crew, 223 km/h so far.

Kiwi's can fly is another team chasing records in the GT Classes with Dave Jackson and a 5 litre Corvette and then a quick refettle sees Craig Gilbert running the car in the 6 litre class.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Bryan Hartley and crew, 223 km/h so far.
    Its called "Project 64"

There was an article on Stuff.co.nz a couple of days ago, apparently they broke the 1000cc record for their vehicles class.

should be on minis and imps more on Speedhunters ,has four valve head off BMW 1200 motorcycle hoping to set record 130 - 140MPH
    Attached Images Attached Images   

It's got me snookered how they get a light little vehicle like that to get enough traction to pull such a high speed, particularly front wheel drive. Even heavy stuff you can hear wheelspinning on the salt, and heavy is good when you build a salt car, the opposite of circuit racing. Great effort !

I also had an Uncle who was the Director of the DSIR and in charge of NZ Antartic Expedition. As well I used to have an old mate in Dunedin who was an all round engineer who looked after my BCM, the ex Palmer Lotus 20B and a Ferrari 330GT. His name was Dave Mills and he was a wizz with Jags and Italian motors as well as bodywork, fettling and anything mechanical including being a diving engineer and stints as an engineer in the 60's, I think, 'on the ice'. He had an XK120 which went pretty well.Name:  Dave Mills XK120 Patmos Ave HC 001 (640x337).jpg
Views: 780
Size:  62.9 KB.
    Well he died suddenly age 65 quite a few years ago after looking after my cars for over 20yrs and I lost a good mate. At his funeral an old friend said for us all to take out a $5 note and look for the tractor - it was much bigger on the note then. Well the story was that Dave had time on his hands during the Antartic winter and he saw these tractors sitting on the ice ready for the melt when these old bits of machinery would sink to the bottom - so much for environmental awareness. Of course these were some of the left overs from the Hillary expedition to the Pole which I had a 2s and 6p (2/6) pocket money share in, having supported it as a 6 yr via my uncle - I still have the certificate today. Dave decided to 'requisition' one and put it in his workshop and spent the winter-over restoring it. The story of how the tractor got back to Christchurch is another one but it was the initial Fergie shown off in CHC at the early Centre and featured as the model for the engraving on the $5 note.
    So it was a good story to finish on for a guy who had a full life and built me a racing engine 26 yrs ago that was still going without a rebuild until last year when a timing chain let go at HD's. Chris Read - Arrowtown.
    Name:   note with Fergie 001.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  23.1 KB
    Last edited by Chris Read; 08-16-2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: grammer

Name:  F1 car 3.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  191.2 KB

OK, so name the faces. Yes one is who you don't expect, one is a poster on here who holds the copyright.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Name:  F1 car 3.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  191.2 KB

OK, so name the faces. Yes one is who you don't expect, one is a poster on here who holds the copyright.
    well. that looks like Emilio De Villota 2nd from the left, Fangio?, Guy Edwards in the waist coat hmmmm ..Lyncar??
    Last edited by bry3500; 08-16-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Chris, sounds like they were down there at same time. My uncle left boxs of slides which my father (his brother) is converting to electronic photos. few photos of the group down there. Will see if dad can send some to me and i will PM you as you may reckonize some one.