Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Who What and Where?

Name:  Hillary envelope 2.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  192.0 KB

More Fergie, sort of

Semi-Pro Racer
    Now that can be another story. My late uncle went down and retreived them from Antarctica and bought them back. He was one of first to Scott Base back late 50s early 60s. He designed/built alot of it back then. Mum has photos somewhere.

Rod was your late uncle there when they took the Fiat 500 down there. Apparently it came back to NZ and was sold as a normal road car.

World Champion
    another pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    Now that can be another story. My late uncle went down and retreived them from Antarctica and bought them back. He was one of first to Scott Base back late 50s early 60s. He designed/built alot of it back then. Mum has photos somewhere.

Rod was your late uncle there when they took the Fiat 500 down there. Apparently it came back to NZ and was sold as a normal road car.
    He was there in early 60s but will find out more from dad. PS very naughty but we had a piece of Erebus rock and some other bits of history which later were not allowed. What the hell is a bit of rock going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Attachment 10209

OK, so name the faces. Yes one is who you don't expect, one is a poster on here who holds the copyright.
    Standing behind the wing are: De Villota, Fangio, Villota's team manager who's name escapes me at the moment and Bill Robinson.

Last time I saw Bill he was living in Kerikeri. He ran Villota in his McLaren M23 and then Lotus 78(?) out of the Lyncar workshop in Slough.

Bill, if you are the mystery poster, how the hell are you?

Found a couple more Antartic pics [ATTACH=CONFIG]10234[/ATTACH. Isn't it great that if its got a motor its fair game on TRS. Name:  Antartic pics 2 001.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  31.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Read View Post
    Found a couple more Antartic pics [ATTACH=CONFIG]10234[/ATTACH. Isn't it great that if its got a motor its fair game on TRS. Name:  Antartic pics 2 001.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  31.3 KB
    Any thread that starts with a Lola T70 at Goodwood and evolves to Massey Fergusons in Antarctica has got to be great value!.I love the way this particular thread twists and turns...

Semi-Pro Racer

Name:  snow kitten.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  121.4 KB

The Fiat 500 that was at Scott Base until 1965. Being aircooled it never needed antifreeze.

They have one of the Tucker Snow Cats in the Antarctic Museum in Christchurch.It's a very impressive machine, but it looks awfully complex and fragile. The long driveshafts leading from the engine to the diffs at each end must have been a big problem because they are very long, not very substantial, and unsupported for their length. They must have whipped around more than the raffle seller at the Kaukop pub.

The Fergie used to be at Motat but I think it has been refurbished and is also now at the Antarctic Museum. It looks like a far better machine for the job in terms of robust simplicity, but the flimsy cabs must have made life pretty difficult for the drivers in that environment.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    They have one of the Tucker Snow Cats in the Antarctic Museum in Christchurch.It's a very impressive machine, but it looks awfully complex and fragile. The long driveshafts leading from the engine to the diffs at each end must have been a big problem because they are very long, not very substantial, and unsupported for their length. They must have whipped around more than the raffle seller at the Kaukop pub.

The Fergie used to be at Motat but I think it has been refurbished and is also now at the Antarctic Museum. It looks like a far better machine for the job in terms of robust simplicity, but the flimsy cabs must have made life pretty difficult for the drivers in that environment.
    Flimsy Cabs?? With no top and no back, they were more like a wind-cheater/dodger on a yacht. One seemed to have been made of perspex, fabric of some kind, and Dexion shelf framing!

They were built on-site weren't they?

Stu
    Last edited by stubuchanan; 08-19-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Journeyman Racer

Another who/what where Teaser

Name:  SI.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  37.2 KB

I recall taking this photo possibly at Ruapuna, beyond that it is one of those photo's that has intrigued me for many years. Interesting car/motor combination that had an issue with gravity later the same day.

A30/35 with a 6 Holden? Almost a Brock look alike except the date on the photo is a bit interesting! Is that May 67?

No, I'm going with a Triumph 6. Its got 12 ports on the RH side.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Silcock View Post
    No, I'm going with a Triumph 6. Its got 12 ports on the RH side.
    Kerry Rout A30 Triumph 2000?

Definitely a 2000 (2500) rocker cover as I have one in my garage-the breathers are add ons. Could anyone keep those original twin carbs in tune? The old man used to have one and I just about wore out the o/d on 3rd and top. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd o/d, back to 4th and then 4th o/d. the all original 6 speed box - had a little lever to twiddle with. Just about as much fun as the push buttons on the Valiant. Chris Read-Arrowtown.

I did not think I knew anything about 6 cylinders, conclusively proven!

Just been down to Auck and caught up with my dad. His brother (my Uncle) was there in 60 and again 63-64. He has slides of tractors and all sorts so will check out and contact you.

A30 with Triumph, interesting. How the hell did they get it in there, would have been nice to work on. And the battery is even in there as well.

Journeyman Racer
    Name:  SI1.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  11.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    A30 with Triumph, interesting. How the hell did they get it in there, would have been nice to work on. And the battery is even in there as well.
    Interesting ideas there, I was given to understand it was a Vanguard 6 but never having owned one cannot say. Yes it was May 67, jamie had his 50th the night before.

Good Morning USA Dog will have to take you in hand when I see you at the Weekend .Thanks for the tip on the Classic driver Jamiw A