Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: Who What and Where?

World Champion
    Yep I was very surprised. Apparently it dropped a piston

I thought this whole site would know it was a Bellett! My Mum had a new one for a test for a couple of days. The only reason she did not buy it was cos she didn't like the bench seat. It went really well, I was impressed, always had a soft spot for them
    Pre 65 with twin cam Piazza (bolts straight in)?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I thought this whole site would know it was a Bellett! My Mum had a new one for a test for a couple of days. The only reason she did not buy it was cos she didn't like the bench seat. It went really well, I was impressed, always had a soft spot for them
    Pre 65 with twin cam Piazza (bolts straight in)?
    Doesnt sound like you to tweak the rulebook like that, was that pre 65 Piazza head a GC inspiration?
    Kicked myself as soon as I saw the Bruce McLaren bit, watched that parade on TV. Guess the old age axiom is true, cant remember what I did 2 months ago, but 30 years is no problem!

World Champion
    From memory David Brabham drove it in the St Marys trophy as well. Its owned by a couple in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Doesnt sound like you to tweak the rulebook like that, was that pre 65 Piazza head a GC inspiration?
    Kicked myself as soon as I saw the Bruce McLaren bit, watched that parade on TV. Guess the old age axiom is true, cant remember what I did 2 months ago, but 30 years is no problem!
    If you don't know the rules you can make comments like that! I have known about the swapability (how about that for a new word) of Isuzu stuff for donkeys. Never thought to mention it to him, maybe I should ask tomorrow! Barry has a coupe if you didn't know, which I guess you did.

Semi-Pro Racer
    If you don't know the rules you can make comments like that! I have known about the swapability (how about that for a new word) of Isuzu stuff for donkeys. Never thought to mention it to him, maybe I should ask tomorrow! Barry has a coupe if you didn't know, which I guess you did.
    No, Barry has always been a little reluctant to tell me what he's up to, always wants to know what I am doing but with the above mentioned convenient memory loss I cant help him!!

World Champion
    Now one from the nz f5000 page on Facebok, I know who i think it is, however I cannot find any supporting information except a single program entry to prove it Rod knows who I think, any takers

Name:  12572976_971434456277759_828925244274241206_n.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  28.8 KB

#152 was the number Leo Leonard carried on that unusual orange Begg F5000 with the ordinary nose that I think was built from a sports car : maybe it's that car with a different snout ? Doesn't look like Leo at the helm, though...

World Champion
    Well, my thoughts based on 3 things helmet, program listing and comments in an annual regarding the 1972/3 Gold Star series regarding 'handling problems' is Neil Doyle and his Begg FM2. I know it ended up with a 'Tyrell-like" nose cone. But thats just a guess

Semi-Pro Racer
    In no order of preference, Laurence Brownlie, Russell Thompson, Pierre Phillips, Geoff Mardon, Neil Doyle.
    Im leaning toward Doyle, but I think I have read a post somewhere from Russell Thompson himself, possibly on this site where he had raced one of the 5000 Begg cars but was not given credit for it. If its Laurence Brownlie its the early Begg Daimler with motor from sports car ( McBegg- oops that's wrong ).... you guys can work it out
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 01-27-2016 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    In no order of preference, Laurence Brownlie, Russell Thompson, Pierre Phillips, Geoff Mardon, Neil Doyle.
    Im leaning toward Doyle, but I think I have read a post somewhere from Russell Thompson himself, possibly on this site where he had raced one of the 5000 Begg cars but was not given credit for it. If its Laurence Brownlie its the early Begg Daimler with motor from sports car ( McBegg).... you guys can work it out
    Wasn't that the motor from the previous sports car before the McBegg?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Wasn't that the motor from the previous sports car before the McBegg?
    Oops, YES my mistake, the motor from the McBegg had tossed its Harmonic Balancer at a Timaru meet on way back from the NZ Land Speed record runs.

I don't think it is a FM2 as they had a flat top roll hoop and were as I recall quite slab sided.

Name:  beggs ruapuna 71.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  52.2 KB

Beggs across the front row at Ruapuna 1971 : Doyle and Leonard in FM2s, and Mardon in the FM4.

Name:  leonard begg.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  32.9 KB

Leonard in the Begg I was referring to earlier. Certainly the exhausts look the same.

World Champion
    The Doyle FM2 with 'Tyrell' nose 1972/3

Name:  f5000 4.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  99.1 KB

I think that is McRae in the GM1 with Duckhams livery at Bay Park.

As I recall Doyle's Tyrell nose was on his Surtees.

Name:  neil doyle surtees 2.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  165.2 KB
    Last edited by GD66; 01-28-2016 at 02:22 AM.

No that is the Alan Rollinson car that McRea took for a blast as there seemed to be a problem with it.