Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Who What and Where?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Hi Stu, what is the white car behind the Daimler, alongside Cullen? In front of the Hughes car is a Mistral. Keith Yeats is still a very handy peddler of an innocuous looking BMW on Targa events. (Assuming it's the same Yeats!)
    Should be the Austin Healey of Charlie Conway, and Mistral is Richard McNair.
    Yeats' Orchid body looks very similar to AMW Buckler but tail looks different :

Name:  Yeats Orchid.JPG
Views: 1251
Size:  148.4 KB

Well my friend who arranged in later years for me to take the MG twin Cam engine out of the Alpine and convert it back to Rootes power ,told me today that to his understanding ,the Alpine engine was removed from the Alpine back in the beginning and found a home In Robbie Francevics Humber 80 ,then of course the Alpine ended up with the MG twin cam engine ,can anyone expand on this

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    Heres something that some one might remember ,early sixties there was in Auckland a Sunbeam Alpine that had been fitted with a MGA twin Cam engine ,in the time that I first worked on it I think it was owned and raced by a chap who was a chemist in white Swan Road ? Does anyone remember the car and who put the MG engine in it in the beginning

Well
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion
    Is that one of those Mini based cars? Terrapin?...OK just checked..not a Terrapin
    Last edited by bry3500; 12-05-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Looks more like a pre-unit Triumph twin. Could it be an early version of an MER ?

Semi-Pro Racer
    I'm pretty sure it's the Mini-Max

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's the Mini-Max
    OK David, you got the what, how about the who and where? OOOh it feels good to be ahead of you just once David!
    This is from a bunch of my photos taken around the mid 60s which I have just had digitised.

Yo At the bottom of Chamberlan Rd hill climb ready to roll down the start Jamie A

Semi-Pro Racer
    And probably Ross Hollings, I would think

Sorry, both David and Jamie are not right yet. Much closer to your old home town Jamie.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Sorry, both David and Jamie are not right yet. Much closer to your old home town Jamie.
    My photo of the car was possibly taken at the same event. I have labelled it Challenger Special, not a car I was particularly familiar with, but obviously I got the info from someone who was.

Name:  Challenger Sp Bombay 60p.JPG
Views: 1122
Size:  42.8 KB

It was apparently built by Northlander Graham Walker and had a 250cc BSA motor, and was quite competitive.

PS When I first saw your picture, Oldfart, I thought it was somebody's accident, with cars, people and wheels all over the place. Not so, obviously.

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer

But, On The Other Hand....

The dense subtropical forest of Oldfart's picture doesn't look like Chamberlain Rd Bombay. Perhaps a little bit further north at Puhipuhi for a Gold Star hillclimb. Perhaps it really is the Mini-Max with Ross Hollings or J Pettit in the helmet.

Or maybe I was right first time with car/driver.

Does the sign on the side of the car say "Just Married"?

Stu
    Last edited by stubuchanan; 12-06-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Semi-Pro Racer
    In that case it must be John Pettit
    I was guessing, based on the fact that Hollings would have run at Chamberlain Road more often than Pettit
    Or of course it could have been the guy who bought it from RH, and put it down the bank somehwere. Or am I thinking of a different car now?

David has the driver surname (I thought, and wrote at the time Clive) but no-one is close on the venue yet. I was talking with the creator of the Minimax, Max Rutherford at Taupo at the weekend. He has done a magnificent job of the resto of the JBS.
    Apparently the Minimax was created as a speedway TQ and "multi used" a lot before being sold, and rear engine cars banned from speedway (at least TQ). He was considering a replica of the 'max.

I think the Flowers gemini was aquired by the late Roy Lyme for hillclimbing. I ended up with the tail section when the car was modified at Rob Colliers workshop in Levin.
    Grant Ellwood

Not John Pettit says he wasnt sily enufh to have just maried writen on his car ?? but says it is his old car and would like to know where it is Jamie A

John Pettit has just payed me a visit and seen the 2 photos and now sayes that it is him in the first photo the car is down in a gully after falling off the road .he bought the car of Max Rutherford Jamie A

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    John Pettit has just payed me a visit and seen the 2 photos and now sayes that it is him in the first photo the car is down in a gully after falling off the road .he bought the car of Max Rutherford Jamie A
    OK, so I was wrong with my naming at the time, so I will accept John. BUT the car is NOT down a gully after falling off the road. It is on a bank between the turn around loop and the first uphill part of the road at a Gold Star hill climb at Tarawera, went from the lake edge up to almost the Buried Village. Now Jamie would know why I said "closer to home"!

Another
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is that the " old english gent "