Thread: The Peter Bruin Collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Roger, the black MkI Zephyr that is pictured a couple of times, is this Spencer Black? Also, where was the photo of Coppins leaning over his Zephyr hood taken?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Roger, the black MkI Zephyr that is pictured a couple of times, is this Spencer Black? Also, where was the photo of Coppins leaning over his Zephyr hood taken?
    I'm pretty sure the Mk1 Zephyr was the one owned by Ivan Cranch. It had a Jaguar motor set back in it so Ivan had to sit squashed to the side and changed gear almost behind himself. Peter and Ivan lived close by each other and I think Peter may have done some work for Ivan.

I'm not 100% sure where the Rod Coppins photo was taken but at a guess it could be Matamata.

In a sport with its fair share of "blow hards", Peter stood out as a quiet achiever and a genuinely nice bloke. Although he had a period career as a race mechanic he always said he preferred the welding torch to the spanner and his fabrication work was quite sublime.

Sorry but I can't help myself, the Mk 1 pictured is in fact a Consul, I would guess to be competetive amongst Lotus Cortinas etc the 4 cyl Consul motor would have been long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Mk1 Zephyr was the one owned by Ivan Cranch. It had a Jaguar motor set back in it so Ivan had to sit squashed to the side and changed gear almost behind himself. Peter and Ivan lived close by each other and I think Peter may have done some work for Ivan.

I'm not 100% sure where the Rod Coppins photo was taken but at a guess it could be Matamata.
    Thanks Howard, yes I did wonder that when I was punching out that post, maybe it was a Consul. I'm one of those people who needs to see both models parked side by side to tell the difference.