Thread: Formula Ford

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Howard, i am sure there was a Tui built at some time and i think the Stone brothers were involved. Will research.

The Tui name (or Leda 2E when built by Leda under licence) was what Al McCall called his cars, all F2, Atlantic or Super Vee specs to the best of my knowledge. No doubt Al and Jim Stone would have known each other so anything is possible.

I was listing NZ built championship front running cars only in my initial list. Over the same period, numerically the Huntly built Valours which were really a Titan Mk 6C clone would won hands down although Johnny Johnson built quite a few cars in Christchurch including Norm Smith's Hustler and Gerry Hones (spl?) built 3 GLHs (Gerry, Lloyd & Hugh) for Lloyd and Hugh Owen and Paul Dold. The Jim Murdoch designed and built Begg JM1 was probably the only purpose built FF Begg.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Wood View Post
    The Jim Murdoch designed and built Begg JM1 was probably the only purpose built FF Begg.
    ...after the three Begg FM3s, designed by Fred McLean

I think there were four GLHs, and as many as six Johnstons (though that number seems to high)

When I get a mo' I'll see if I can drag out some more names...
    Last edited by David McKinney; 10-19-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Banned
    Six GLH chassis. The last one was purchased by Graeme Cowley who on sold it to me in the early eighties. Now owned by my old mate Barry Leitch (he is old - ask his sons)
    and still unraced as far as I'm aware.

Journeyman Racer
    A big thanks to Jamie Aislabie for solving a problem with the Van Diemen dry sump saga. How could the experts have got it so wrong for so long. Does your knowledge have no limits Jamie, and all this via the phone? Shades of Smokey Yunick for those of that era.

Dave McKinney, I know you don't sleep and this is not a who/what/where but merely to clear up a statement I made to to you re G.P.Mc and Dr. Langley that may have cited the wrong Dr. Your memory is not as suspect as you make out.

To all: Does Marty Olsen still have the Bowkett Skyline if not where did it go?
    Last edited by ElCoyote; 05-18-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Enjoyed this topic but lack of forum skills kind of put paid to replying till now.
    Carlos asked where Stone/Finch Cuda is....its in my workshop. The discussion re valours is interesting. I owned a Titan Mk6 that I bought damaged. We borrowed the valour jig from Dennis Martin to repair the chassis ( slightly different in frt floor profile )The resultant car was damaged in a tumble at BayPark ( would love to get original photos sequenced in NZ Herald and Autosport ), flipped off a lotus, over Malcolm Webbs van Diemen and landed on top of Lou Vandermeer, that car was ex Eric Morgan, sold as parts to Larry Mulholland. Fond memories of Formula Ford. Got involved early on with Gilbey's Gin sponsored Ex Pellow Brabham ( converted from National Formula car ) This car now resident at John Wigstons workshop. Was the technical officer for the formula , then T/O for MSNZ . One year we ( Bob McMurray alongside ) went to South Is spannering on Mark Scott ( ANZ Elden, CMR engine ) and Robin Hoskings ( Cheetah). Got involved in the world debut of international superstar Robin De MauMau in Malcolms VD. Alas , Robin had navigational problems at Timaru and sadly had to have a career change. What went on tour, stayed on tour. Will watch this topic with interest as there was good racing, great camaraderie, and some great times in this class. Shame the politics and technical rules can't be sorted to get the class thriving again

So where the hell is our 'Can do' attitude these days. It all seems to be 'Can't do' now.

Does anyone else get sick to death of all the whinging people on TV who are absolutely shocked that the world can't see things their way. There used to be a saying about whinging Poms but I will bet that Kiwi's would outdo the Poms any day with their hands tied behind their backs. End of whinge.