Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Formula Ford

As a Too n from i am missing the plot somewhere so i have to ask
    Double You Tea Eff has got you on the soap box?

FFord rules where created by us winjun poms and we still use them and abide by them as well as God save the Queen
    so why do you not enforce the original FFord rules?
    Last week i raced at the FFord festoval at Brands
    this weekend i race in the Walter Hayes Trophey at Silverstone ALL run under the original FFord rules
    No yanky rules alloy heads
    No yanky rules alloy dampers or wheels
    no yanky rules over bore pistons
    we stil use the 420 kg car weight rule
    still run treaded tyres steel brake calipers

so educate me on NZ FFord what has changed & what do you not like today?
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

All Pomey cars leak oil!! NZ is clean green ,we save frogs 3 leaf clover little spiders, we dont want all the gold under the hills,we even shoot lovelly wild horses that has roamed the open ranges for since Kupe swam them here from HAWIKI most Poms dont know that all the top men in F1 are Kiwis!! hope this helps a little jim

A few FF Photos

Name:  RichardsFF.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  107.2 KB

Name:  FF  Walker Riley Pukekohe.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  FF Pukekohe 7-6-75.JPG
Views: 1479
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  Valour 29 Puke 1976.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  Valour FF Puke 1976.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  111.6 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    I still have that Valour Russ, put it into the wall at levels and did a bit of damage, when the throttle stayed open, so the rebuild is under way, on the papers for the car there are a few more names, Radar rebuilt the chassis the same as it was, with the modified front, and at this point in time, I am wondering if I rebuild it the same, or do it as original, I have access to another car (Valour) that has never been raced, or been near a track since new, so copying is not a problem, just wondering if the original front end was a dog, and the reason they changed it.
    Roger

Weekend Warrior
    I am a little bit confused with the yanky rules.
    Have been on the West Coast for forty-years . Have never seen those rules applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer Rog View Post
    I still have that Valour Russ, put it into the wall at levels and did a bit of damage, when the throttle stayed open, so the rebuild is under way, on the papers for the car there are a few more names, Radar rebuilt the chassis the same as it was, with the modified front, and at this point in time, I am wondering if I rebuild it the same, or do it as original, I have access to another car (Valour) that has never been raced, or been near a track since new, so copying is not a problem, just wondering if the original front end was a dog, and the reason they changed it.
    Roger
    Did Harold Phillips own the Valour before Radar? If so I can give you some info on the front end mod.

Quote Originally Posted by openwheeler View Post
    I am a little bit confused with the yanky rules.
    Have been on the West Coast for forty-years . Have never seen those rules applied.
    I'm out in the Mid-West, and happened to see a 1600 car a couple of months ago. I am unsure of what championship the car runs in (I just assumed it was local SCCA events), but it definately had an alloy head, aluminum Penske shocks, and alloy wheels.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The Rego was GE3117, chassis number 723008 registered on the 4-09-1972 owners, Ian Simcox, John Hyde, Jeff Goice, Harold Phillips, then Steve Grant, it then ended up with Devon and Laney then me, there could have been a couple in the middle after Radar as well, as you did not have to register them after that.

Roger

The Rego was GE3117, chassis number 723008 registered on the 4-09-1972 owners, Ian Simcox, John Hyde, Jeff Goice, Harold Phillips, then Steve Grant, it then ended up with Devon and Laney then me, there could have been a couple in the middle after Radar as well, as you did not have to register them after that.

Roger
    Roger, I modified the front end for Harold (Phil) Phillips. If you attend any of the historic FF rounds at HD or Puke you will find Phil spannering for Mike Creswell and I'm sure he would be happy to explain the before and afters of the mod. It certainly handled much better and I'm sure that Phil was probably the quickest of any the Valours around Bay Park, not including John Crawford's example!
    Or you can email me and I'll give you Phil's contact details - ellwoodusa@yahoo.com
    I also have a newspaper article featuring your car and I can mail you a copy. Cheers, Grant

I will be seeing Phil at HD tomorrow and will mention this

Banned
    Roger
    Well! Well! Glad to hear that you're still alive and kicking, Roger.

You've probably noticed that one of the rear uprights on your car has MJ stamped on it. Mark Petch & John Olsen cast these for the Katipo cars. Identical to both Valour & Titan. I recall Radar buying one off me to put on the chassis you own. In fact I've two new ones in the shed if anyone needs them.

Does Doug still own the unraced car or has he sold it on. I remember him buying some bits of me for it in the mid eighties.

Might be a problem or two rebuilding it as a Valour as I understand the original chassis that Harold sold to Radar was rebuilt as well. The fact that it was totally stuffed appears to not matter a jot. Axes and handles!

Pleasing to see that Shag Ellwood was sober enough to reply to your question regarding the front end. I heard that he was celebrating hurricane Sandy arriving in Virginia until someone wised him up that it was'nt the female wrestler he used to date a few years back.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Hi Russ, both uprights are Valour, and yes Doug still has his, am going back down there in a couple of weeks to take some measurements so will say hi, but I think he looks in here as well, just keep those uprights nice and dry for me, I reckon I have rights to the axe, as I have most of it, and as it was a repair????, along with all papers etc, but hey who am I to spoil a good story, but Radar told me the chassis was stuffed beyond repair, which is why he made a new one.
    Roger

Banned
    I'm sure it was Radar who told me that someone purchased the chassis from his father while Radar was overseas. Then I heard that another chap found the rusty remains lying in long grass behind a house in Onehunga. Can't recall the name at present but my informant told me that it was rebuilt. In other words, a new chassis was made.

Did I ever tell you about Radar turning up for scrutineering at Bay Park with the new car? Apparently the scrutineers were less than impressed with the coach bolts in the suspension.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    As a Too n from i am missing the plot somewhere so i have to ask
    Double You Tea Eff has got you on the soap box?

FFord rules where created by us winjun poms and we still use them and abide by them as well as God save the Queen
    so why do you not enforce the original FFord rules?
    Last week i raced at the FFord festoval at Brands
    this weekend i race in the Walter Hayes Trophey at Silverstone ALL run under the original FFord rules
    No yanky rules alloy heads
    No yanky rules alloy dampers or wheels
    no yanky rules over bore pistons
    we stil use the 420 kg car weight rule
    still run treaded tyres steel brake calipers

so educate me on NZ FFord what has changed & what do you not like today?
    Driftwood,

Take no notice of Jum. He's obsessed with spiders and frogs, apparently they visit him in his dreams as well.

A genuine answer: I really don't know why they fiddled with the FF regs here. Always seemed pretty bloody stupid from my point of view. Maybe it's a Kiwi thing to follow the Yanks.

The beer may be warm where you are but it's a darn sight more drinkable than the Yankee crap. (Or ours for that matter)

Journeyman Racer
    Congratulations to all the FF drivers at HD yesterday. A great turnout of very tidy cars, some good driving, practise and 4 races
    in one day for $99.00! Beat that other organisers. See you all at Manfeild next weekend. Yahoo

Semi-Pro Racer
    Join the classic Motor Racing club, we can beat that, so much so that at the last meeting calling for classes to come up to the grid, none came as they were all raced out!!!
    Roger

Maybe its the cold Kiwi beer thats turned Jim into a frog preserver!
    Im currently in Oz where i have to suffer the cold beer and will in 2 weeks be over in Aotera but no time is allocated for car visits as her in doors ha sno interest in race cars
    I raced in the FFord festival at Brands this years and the Walter Hayes Trophy to end our season
    I have bought a Lotus 61 from USA and Alexis Mk18b to rebuild
    i think i will sell the Lotus as i see the cockpit access slot is narrower than my self and keep the Alexis to race next season
    Last edited by driftwood; 11-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

Baypark Christmas meeting 1970Name:  IMG_0015 (Large).jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  89.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Baypark Christmas meeting 1970Name:  IMG_0015 (Large).jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  89.8 KB
    Love car #18 in the Cambridge Racing Team colours. Who was racing it ?

3 is Pierre Phillips in a Titan Mk 6, 16 is Peter Hughes in the ex Ken Smith Lotus 41 and 18 is David Oxton in an Elfin 600