Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ferrari 625 tasman - pat hoare

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    The nose certainly doesn't look right - maybe it's the camera angles
    Agree David, the nose looks more tapered..maybe from the Wigram accident rebuild?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    The 'Tasmania' reference from "Ferrari, I Quattro Cilindri" may be an incorrect Italian name for Australasia. See attached cover from 'Auto Italiana' 11.1.1968, referring to the Tasman Championship of that year. Their article was a translation of a piece by Eoin Young, and the translator seems to have been confused between Tasmania the island and the Tasman Championship.

Stu

Nice try, Stu, but why did the earlier reference make the statement that Tasmania was an island to the south-east of Australia? (And in any case, as any fule kno, it's an Australian island to the south-east of the mainland)

its just been put on my facebook its in holland i thought it srashed into a {triumph mayflower}??? at wigram

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    its just been put on my facebook its in holland i thought it srashed into a {triumph mayflower}??? at wigram
    check post #198
    http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...d-Where/page10
    Last edited by bry3500; 01-04-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer

Shuter/Hoare Ferrari

Photographic proof of the continued existence of the Ferrari 625 hybrid(after the 1961 accident) is on page 130 of Vercoe's "Historic Racing Cars...". The car has the permanent number plate 'AQ3343' showing - these plates weren't issued until about 1964/65. In spite of Vercoe's comments the car was rebuilt in NZ and driven at Wigram by Shuter junior(?) in the photo.

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Nice try, Stu, but why did the earlier reference make the statement that Tasmania was an island to the south-east of Australia? (And in any case, as any fule kno, it's an Australian island to the south-east of the mainland)
    In support of my statements, I point out that Wikipedia(Italian version) states that the Tasman Sea is known as Mar Tasman or Mar Tasmania in Italian. The Italian writer obviously took the second option and referred to the Tasman Championship as "Il Campionato di Tasmania". How good is your Italian, I could always email you a copy of the magazine article!

Stu