Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Doyle/Dickie Fastback Anglia Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Now, was this the start of big conversion ?
    Wow, is that the same car Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, is that the same car Rod?
    Check the number plate, looks the same to my old eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Check the number plate, looks the same to my old eyes.
    To the best of my knowledge it is the same car, think it may have started life as a Palmer & Doak conversion which is how I think that it was 1st raced prior to the Chev installation

Thanks for that info guys.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fastback55 View Post
    Is this the photo you were talking about fastback? Is that Ian Donald in overalls?
    This is how I remember it - and the overiding memory is coming out of Railway bend at the beginning of the main straight at Puke, and the massive amount of axle tramp - the rear end trying to tie itself in knots as the fearless driver tried to put the boot in......

Any further progress on this car?

Weekend Warrior
    Australia/Melbourne/ex pat Kiwi/Halswell/Christchurch
    Quote Originally Posted by fastback55 View Post
    Bay Park
    Hi i was wondering how the restoration of the Anglia fastback was going towards its return to the track im sure Alec Dickies family and friends cant wait for its revival such a cool car.

this thread was going really well, just been looking back at the pics, and all the contributors..
    Fastback55- there are a lot of hardcore fans out here who still think of your car and of course look forward to seeing it in the flesh again.
    We all have memories of this memorable car, and understand the work needed takes time, understanding and patience.

I remember doing some panel and paint on this in my shop in Napier many years ago, I owned the grey Dodge flat deck with the shell on the back when I was dropping it off. Will be great to see this on the track, been a while now but good things take time...

Quote Originally Posted by V12 racer View Post
    I remember doing some panel and paint on this in my shop in Napier many years ago, I owned the grey Dodge flat deck with the shell on the back when I was dropping it off. Will be great to see this on the track, been a while now but good things take time...
    I can re call very easily when Neil got this car going ...just about every 3rd weekend we had Levels or Ruapuna cranked up..the main stayers in front of this feild was Neil, Ron Silvester & Gary always great races . [yr mid 60,s]....Neils car would have been a real hand full the v8s out gunning Gary on the straights but bro ,s car better under brakes & through turns the crowds loved it , last time I saw Neil was on a Cook Straight Ferry we had a catch up & he was farming some where in S/ Cant ... this was going back at least 15 yrs ago lol

Here's photos of the anglia corvette when it was first built by my dad Murray elwood n tinwald ashburtonName:  image.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  145.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  73.8 KB

Just added some of it now

anglia corvete

Hi
    I knew Murray when he worked at Gluyas motors in Ashburton before he went to work at Tinwald service station.
    He drove a modified mk2 zephyr which we all as school boys just thought was the coolest car tripple su carbs with a big cam lowerd with wide rims. He used to let us into the lube bay where the anglia was getting built and he had help

Weekend Warrior
    Name:  P2030608.JPG
Views: 1257
Size:  161.5 KBName:  P2030609.JPG
Views: 1308
Size:  168.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    To the best of my knowledge it is the same car, think it may have started life as a Palmer & Doak conversion which is how I think that it was 1st raced prior to the Chev installation
    Hi Carlo, All myths aside, there is no Palmer & Doak connection, sorry Mate.

Murray Elwood purchased the Dark green 105E Anglia , virtually brand new; from Gluyas Ford around 1961.
    Murray had long since completed his mechanics Apprentiship at Gluyas Ford, & Had modified a Ford 1937 v8 coupe and later a very rapid mk2 zephyr with 3 carb R/Mays type Head, etc , work that had been inspired by Murrays association with Ernie Sprague.

Murray ran The Anglia , on the street, lightly modified from stock , but with a 1200-1340 cc & twin carb upgrade , widened rims etc ,all along Keeping the very modified mk 2 Zephyr road car.

By this stage Murray had left Gluyas Ford & was running the workshop at Tinwald [ SHELL] service station for the owne Geoff Gearing.

Being in my last high school years about this time, My father Was responsible servicing most of the BP & Shell co Fuel pump & oil installations in Mid Canterbury and I went to most Garages with him on school Holiday breaks and witnesses first hand much of the Anglia Corvettes building from the start.

But, Long before the " Corvette" part of the Anglia came into being, Neil doyle , who worked the Doyle family farm at Mayfeild, inland from Ashburton , befriended Murray & may have soon purchased The Anglia , in that stock - lightly modified form , from Murray Elwood.
    Doyle certainly raced it in that non v8 form at some venues, including the Waimate 50, where, some old film footage & photos that still exist , show the car , driven by Doyle ,clipping the Gutter & hay bales [ just off the main straight-first RH corner] & grinding to a halt with a broken stub axle & wheel still attached to one another.

It was after this that the chev v8 idea was mooted, the Greater costs funded by Neil , But much of the labour input, Running around ; advice & untold hours & hours of time & effort given by Murray Elwood & no doubt the garage proprietor Geoff Gearing.

The "GT350" decal on the car in the photo shown was Neil Doyles later method of entering the car
    in various events as a "GT350 Sports" , this being due to MANZ at that time changing the rules about allcomers saloon eligability in many events.

Long after Murrays Anglia -corvette days had passed with the car in Neil Doyles ownership , murray continued to be involved in Local motorsport & encouraging many young guys, , this writer included; to get involved & we did.
    Murray bought the remains of the Begg chev , previously driven by Brent Hawes
    Rebuilt it , fitting an Olds - Buick alloy v8 engine & Had Vern Rule build a new body
    and that was entered in Sports car events as the Elmac Olds.

Murray Had a love for Jaguar & Mercededs road cars & later shifted to Greymouth and worked For Jim Kennedy [ grey Ford dealership]

Theres no doubt that Alex Dickie, who acquired the car From Neil Doyle, certainly transformed it into a much better Car, the extended wheelbase [ Floor chassis longer from the B pillar back] & smoother frontal mods highlighting those changes.
    That fact that this car has survived at all, is great to see and what the new owner is doing to restore it back to that allcomer saloon status.
    Last edited by Rascal; 08-16-2014 at 02:10 AM. Reason: photos added

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post

Murray Elwood purchased the Dark green 105E Anglia , virtually brand new; from Gluyas Ford around 1961.
    Murray had long since completed his mechanics Apprentiship at Gluyas Ford, & Had modified a Ford 1937 v8 coupe and later a very rapid mk2 zephyr with 3 carb R/Mays type Head, etc , work that had been inspired by Murrays association with Ernie Sprague.

Murray ran The Anglia , on the street, lightly modified from stock , but with a 1200-1340 cc & twin carb upgrade , widened rims etc ,all along Keeping the very modified mk 2 Zephyr road car.

By this stage Murray had left Gluyas Ford & was running the workshop at Tinwald [ SHELL] service station for the owne Geoff Gearing.

Being in my last high school years about this time, My father Was responsible servicing most of the BP & Shell co Fuel pump & oil installations in Mid Canterbury and I went to most Garages with him on school Holiday breaks and witnesses first hand much of the Anglia Corvettes building from the start.

But, Long before the " Corvette" part of the Anglia came into being, Neil doyle , who worked the Doyle family farm at Mayfeild, inland from Ashburton , befriended Murray & may have soon purchased The Anglia , in that stock - lightly modified form , from Murray Elwood.
    Doyle certainly raced it in that non v8 form at some venues, including the Waimate 50, where, some old film footage & photos that still exist , show the car , driven by Doyle ,clipping the Gutter & hay bales [ just off the main straight-first RH corner] & grinding to a halt with a broken stub axle & wheel still attached to one another.

It was after this that the chev v8 idea was mooted, the Greater costs funded by Neil , But much of the labour input, Running around ; advice & untold hours & hours of time & effort given by Murray Elwood & no doubt the garage proprietor Geoff Gearing.

The "GT350" decal on the car in the photo shown was Neil Doyles later method of entering the car
    in various events as a "GT350 Sports" , this being due to MANZ at that time changing the rules about allcomers saloon eligability in many events.

Long after Murrays Anglia -corvette days had passed with the car in Neil Doyles ownership , murray continued to be involved in Local motorsport & encouraging many young guys, , this writer included; to get involved & we did.
    Rebuilt it , fitting an Olds - Buick alloy v8 engine & Had Vern Rule build a new body

Murray Had a love for Jaguar & Mercededs road cars & later shifted to Greymouth and worked For Jim Kennedy [ grey Ford dealership]

Theres no doubt that Alex Dickie, who acquired the car From Neil Doyle, certainly transformed it into a much better Car, the extended wheelbase [ Floor chassis longer from the B pillar back] & smoother frontal mods highlighting those changes.
    That fact that this car has survived at all, is great to see and what the new owner is doing to restore it back to that allcomer saloon status.
    With out a doubt , in my opinion this SI car was the best looking , meanest ... Anglia ever ......watched it race as a kid for many years , Neal Doyle drove it so well .. not sure how he stopped the thing , would have been a heavy old girl.... but seemed to pull up well as I remember .....

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Johnny Riley fit an Oldsmobile V8 to an Anglia. I recall a story that he was coming south and took the Tip Top corner on the motorway around 138mph. Apparently only he and the laundry man knew how scared he was. Myth or fact.
    Dave Graham

Hi Dave......I am not sure ......not heard of this probably a NI thing in the 60,s.... some one else might though some light on it .. cheers Grant

Yeah rings a bell, I think the Angular may have been the same candy apple red his Lotus 19/27 was.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, he certainly did have an Anglia Oldsmobile - it wasn't particularly successful on the track and came and went almost without anyone noticing, although it was very tidily presented. Candy Apple red indeed. Last saw it driving down Wellesley street in Auckland, sometime in the late 60's
    Last edited by SPman; 09-29-2015 at 06:18 AM.

There is a write up on the Anglia Olds in the Feb. 68 Australian Hot Rod Review.