Thread: Doyle/Dickie Fastback Anglia Corvette

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Yep Jac Mac, and there are more out there. Let us just say, that the NEW Custaxie is the ONLY car in NZ that can CLAIM to be THE Custaxie.

World Champion
    So Roger, what we really have to do is find out exactly what is on the car now that was not available in period. I saw the car in a million bits, as I said at Teretonga, and to my untrained eye couldn't see anything 'modern' lurking in there.....no twin turbo-chargers, anti-dive suspension, formula one slicks etc etc. and the car wasnt as fast as the Renault Dauphine driven by Brett Stevens, which in fact just ate it. Which brings me back to a snitch on the grid. The cars are the stars ,so performance enhancing bits to increase it's chances of winning are pointless, but could be sensible safety wise. Robbie is a racer and naturally he wants to be at the pointy end of the grid so a few tweaks here and there are ok.....aren't they. Right, straight from the horses mouth.......Angus drove the car in 4 races at Teretonga and I asked him, Father to Son, as you do, what was it like. He said ....it had no brakes, no handling, ok horse-power, and you would need to be a BRAVE man to drive it at race speeds. I reminded him that he could hardly compare it with his NZ V8 Falcon, but he has driven all sorts of junk over the years so I respected his opinion. In fact the Custaxie was only slightly quicker, lap-time wise, than his old pre65 Morris!!!!!!

World Champion
    Yep, ok by me guys. I typed the last post before reading Bobs.

Phew, just been down to Taradale to see the Steely Dan, Steve Winwood concert, really good, and interesting to see all the comments on the thread when I get back. Great comments from people who know. Interesting what Angus said, I bet the cars were dogs compared with newer cars. Alec claimed around 400hp from the motor Neil probably thought less in the early days, still a lot of hp in a short wheelbase light car, somewhere I have read 15cwt in Dickies day, it's not till you hop in it that you realize how small they are. One autonews magazine that I read from the time said that Alec had the fastest speed on the wigram straight, 127mph which was a few mph over the mustangs and camaros, but with mk3 zephyr brakes the car drifted back in the race as one could well imagine. I would like the car to be close to original but safe and I like the idea of the cars being stars not the egos of the drivers. I know bugger all about the rules and regulations and it's very interesting to me to see the remarks of people I consider legends who have answered this thread, thanks a lot.