Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Doyle/Dickie Fastback Anglia Corvette

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Yes BUT, only one of them would be genuine, or mostly genuine......certainly as far as the body was concerned. I can see where 'angria' is coming from though. As an Anglia man, he would like to create the 1st version of the car as being the easiest to replicate, but when all said and done it is one-in-the-same car, with modifications to the roof, front and exhaust on the last version. All race cars 'evolve', some more dramatically than others. And WHAT are you going to call them...Doyle/Dickie fastback I, II, III etc. Starting to get into muddy waters here. I think if I was fastback, I would scotch any attempt at reproducing, replicating, or otherwise 'copying' the original versions of HIS car, but I'm not him, so I had better shut-up!!!!!
    Just stirring the pot AMC

amco is 100% correct that fastback has the right to veto any replica recreation,i have total respect as he is obviously doing a great job and loves the car and its history,hunted the car down and has kept on task over many years hats off to the man,and a recreation would have nothing original about it, however with Fastbacks cooperation an"authentic "representation of this iconic car may be possible,as an Anglia man this car is the one that started that interest along with the yellow submarine ,as a graphic illustration how this car evolved from the rough hewn raw black roaring beast with the headers through the bonnet and strut tower proud of the wings, into the almost sleak sophisticated car fastbacks rebuilding would be priceless in my humble view, but it would have to be well conceved ,authentic in every aspect possible and no pastiche,Living in Aust it may not have much relevance to the locals ,A recreation of the Harry Lefoe ford V8 powered Hillman Imp is what im researching at present

I have watched with interest the debate regarding replica's and restorations and I can see merits from both sides of the fence. I particularly like the comment by one contributor who said of the 2thousand odd Mk1 Lotus cortina's made, 5thousand odd still exist (figures wrong I know but once in the thread writing this I haven't the computer skills to find the exact numbers without losing what I have written already). Regarding the replica of Neil Doyle's Anglia Corvette with original body shape, I can't see how I can stop someone making one if they felt so inclined to do so. What I would object to is for them to advertise it as the original restored. In my job I have to sit all the corporate crap tests that are required yearly to cover business backsides, in these tests we have among them ethics, it describes how you cannot portray things to be what they're not, among other things. Having sat these tests and passed, I am liable for anything that I say and write that is incorrect freeing the company of blame. If I advertised the Custaxie as it is advertised on Trade Me I would be in deep poo and I suspect it is probably illegal if taken to court as advertised. However the person who purchases the Custaxie won't be in the same market as an Audi A4 so they will be well aware of what they are buying. I have no problem with the Custaxie as it is great to see it up and running and obviously a very fine, well researched and built REPLICA, like everybody else I loved seeing it at Hampton Down's. Also nice to see the original drivers having a thrash in the cars they used to drive, and who gives a damn whether they're winning as it's the cars we've come to see. A race jacked up to allow a legend to win isn't worth crap. Obviously new cars are faster, a test of a mk1 Lotus Cortina in last months Classic Car magazine show's a 0 to 60mph in 13.6 seconds, pitiful, my 4wd Jeep off roader does it in 9.6 just a sign how things have changed. Good to see the pot of poo being well stirred eh bry3500 ha ha I like the banter in all the threads, wish I had discovered it years ago and well done Steve for setting it up. 105 Angria have attached picture of strut towers to show they still exist in the newer shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

what are the front guards fabricated in fastback you mentioned alum earlyer,i its nice work who did that do you know ,dont think you could build a rep of the early version of this car without your input,

Interesting photo of the strut towers - I will post a question in the Anglia thread regarding a Christchurch car.

Yes they are aluminium, they are riveted in places as you can see in the attached photo. I know Murray Elwood worked on the car, I don't know if he did the body work. The body work is well done. Murray Elwood's headstone at Barrytown on the west coast has the Anglia cast into it. Classic Driver magazine had a picture of it. If any South Island or other readers can help with information on who helped Neil Doyle to build the car I would be glad to know. I know it is mentioned on your Anglia Thread where someone remembers the car being built in a garage on the outskirts of Ashburton.

# 65 in the Anglia Thread from fastback mentions Tinwald Service Station and Murray Elwood and Ian Donald as builders of the car

interesting version of the car on the headstone

Car on the headstone is much as #64 on the Anglia thread when it had the fastback but no roof chop, also much the same as the roll over picture on this thread. I have a feeling that Murray might have raced the car a couple of times.

Doyle fastback photo

Terry Masrshall photographer has a great photo of the car taken at Pukekohe, I think 1964 with Ian Donald leaning on the roof and Neil Doyle looking on as the car is prepared for racing.

Yeah I have that photo, got it from the "Old Race Car" site, it certainly looked rough in those days. I'll have another look as I knew Neil but didn't know who the others were. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fastback View Post
    Terry Masrshall photographer has a great photo of the car taken at Pukekohe, I think 1964 with Ian Donald leaning on the roof and Neil Doyle looking on as the car is prepared for racing.
    Is this the photo you were talking about fastback? Is that Ian Donald in overalls?

no sign of the strut towers here, awesome, this must have evolved ,every outing,howmuch history do you have Fastback?

Pukekohe Doyle photo.

No Ian Donald has the hat on. Murray Elwood in the overalls. Great photo.
    Gus Burke did the bodywork for alex Dickie. A very clever fabricator and panelbeater who worked on many osca cars.

Thats how I remember them and the car at that time ,I wouldn't have been very far away from that photo,thats around the Firestone tyre era I mentioned in another thread

Bay Park

Wow, that Bay Park photo is great! When would that have been taken? And what class would it have been racing in? Was this an occasion when OSCA did some racing in the North Island?

This was the same meeting as #77 on this thread which was taken from a Shell Motor Racing Yearbook that they produced. It was either '67 or '68 when Brian Foley came to Bay Park, I've searched google and can't find any details. Neil Doyle is driving at this time so it's several years before OSCA. I don't know what class it would have been in at that time, I would have loved to have been there, but was still in Taranaki at that time and had only witnessed Paratutu Racing at that stage. This photo was taken by an ex workmate and is my first time at scanning a slide, hardest problem is resizing down to a size suitable to fit on the site. I have a few Bay Park slides I want to clean and place on the Bay Park thread, about 3 of the Jim Smith Rover that I took, a car I really liked due to my old man having one at the time and the fact that it was different to all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by fastback55 View Post
    Bay Park
    Great photo,this will have the memory banks ticking over, are we sure it is Bay Park as can not remember a house in the back ground at Bay Park, tends to lead to Levin. There were no house's at Bay Park and actually it was the eventual underhand council houseing in later years that saw the demise of Bay Park.

Mind you track layuot looks like BP. This would have to be way back in the original haydays, as not too many fences, and look at the crowd in the background, they would have to have been on the back straight (crowd) Ok lets work out date Etc

You've done a nice job with it. I find Tinypic is a good website for resizing and uploading images to forums: http://tinypic.com/

I'll try and find out more info on that photo and what race the car was in.