Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Found car!

Ferris definately owned and drove a red Buckler, he showed me some pictures of him in it with his dog. I'm pretty sure it didn't have a Mistral rear though....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    Ferris definately owned and drove a red Buckler, he showed me some pictures of him in it with his dog. I'm pretty sure it didn't have a Mistral rear though....
    I would have been surprised if he had used another manufacturer, especially when we consider him to be the best of the fibreglass builders we have seen, and are yet to see!

Ferris did own a red Buckler which he sold to Graeme Brayshaw,[Graeme has since sold it to his son in law]it had a Climax motor and was built from a chassis that had been stored in the rafters[and probably the original that jigs were taken from]at Mayos,Ferris bought it and put his body on it.i also owned a car with a De Joux body and that was the Humber 80 Special running a 1750cc Rapier motor,that car is now in Queensland Australia,and the guy I sold it to calls it a Buckler which it is not.Ferris,s car had no competition history as it was not built up until the 70's. Ross

Yes Ross is correct I had a drive in the Buckler about the time he started on the Jag Specal{wish I had that one} he also was selling trailer sailors he made ,had one parked by his house.

Nice of you guys to open this up again. I need to correct the comment "Ferris had no competiton history" as I have programmes from an earlyish (mid 50s) Ardmore showing him as an entrant and driver. I will need to dig them out to get exact date. From memory it was not a high level meeting.
    I am also told that Ferris had one of the early cars as well as the one sold to Graeme.

Gee Oldfart the Ardmore he drove at not a high levall you must be joking Nothing higher than the GP meet

Jum, wot u mussed rember is that not orl the drivas in th sports car races were in the top klass. I did say I was not sure though, in response to Ross Hollings! And you did agree!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Yes Ross is correct I had a drive in the Buckler about the time he started on the Jag Specal{wish I had that one} he also was selling trailer sailors he made ,had one parked by his house.
    My dear old mum once went out with a sailor. Don't recall him having a trailer!

Russ i was going to say ,, No changed my mind and Oldfart pleased you are catching on took a while though,I thank God I dont smell

Jim, as Dickens (a distant relly) was reputed to have said "Noses are for smelling, I just stink", does that apply?

Sorry OLdfart I only made standard 4

Sorry Jim if you thought I was taking the piss, just having a bit of fun, not supposed to be at your expense.

World Champion
    Dont worry oldfart, Jum can take it. As he will tell you, he and I are at the opposite ends of the schooling system. As I have said he left school when his feet could reach the pedals on the Bedford, and as he will gleefully tell you, I stayed at school till I was married.....he was a fast learner, while I was more a bit more on the casual side.....too much dreaming about cars!!!

I am so confused Amco you worry me ,but after calling on some old time drivers we cant agree as to the ans, no 1 the Mini you are so fond of is not the car you need to twitchy and nervious , a bright red Chev Monza with pow. steering is more your style .Amco you know how modest and humble i am so dont think I have a big head when I say as you know I haved raced most types of cars and I may be different to a lot of other folk ,but the first car I had that was able to run was the Mk 2 it had a seat belt that was all that was required,now I even enjoyed walking around BP while waiting to start,I guess I did more laps in practise than most because I more than enjoyed I actually loved it,Then yrs. later in the black car I was 1st out and last in most times 20 mins of pure enjoyment..And looking back I won a race or two but only remember??lucky if I rememer half a dozen. I do remember one of the taccoc Porsche relays 4 cars to a team do your ten laps come in pass the armband to the next car,I had my E Type I think it was after Dave had made into a gen. 150 mph car megafone exhaust koni shocks D cams and most important the correct needles{hard to find} I was the lead car for Taccoc Mr Holmes was teammanager he held out the IN signe on your last lap .Le Mans start Peter Thoreby s left hand 911 parked beside me ,for some reason he was trying to get into my car they were both red , then lap after lap Ray Racings Alfa was real quick through the gully Bellis Turbo 911 wasnt far ahead, lap after lap now I wasnt winning but I enjoyed it so much I missed IN board twice ,I dont think they meant all the names they called me .Because now I ask you whoudnt would enjoy watching a masterfull display in a wonderfull car Sorry the memories have caused a senior moment

World Champion
    Now Jim, this thread started by olfart, was to do with a Buckler and its whereabouts. We seem to have drifted into a discussion about having FUN....... I think!!!!! I will really have to slow down my reading of your pieces, as they really demand my full concentration.......no rums before-hand. The FUN bit you are telling us about..... I think...... should be on another thread, already running, and I'm amazed that oldfart has not pulled you up for straying like a lost sheep. He is usually quick off the mark in this respect......must have had too many of your rums. Anyway, I am glad that you used to have FUN in the old days, but I think is a bit pointless wearing out the car/tyres doing dozens of practice laps only to have the machine expire under you during the race. And as for missing an 'IN' board, well a pair of prescription glasses may have helped......it will say so on your 'new' medically approved licence!!
    You and I Jim are of an age where FUN is a rare beast, so I'm glad you have you memories to keep you going. So dig out those scrap-books, relive all those exciting practice laps, and go to bed a happy man.

Now AMco pos. the problem is you are getting out of bed to early,9am is early in this weather,why do you rubish my valid and helpfull coments .. Are you really saying you must win to race??your coment that those v8 drivers finally at the back woke up and quit???You are stressing out bringing Oldfart in to help your beliefs .How often did my cars not finish??You mention wearing out the car!!! What the hell have you got it for?? cycling is healthy and cheeper,as to the glasses why would you want to stop when there is so much enjoyment to be had,and did you always do as you were told,, and as it turned two of the E Types in our team had never taken part before so the pressure was gone,you and I know you enjoyed the old MG races and you still have do you not???

Hey I don't have a problem, you 2 geriatrics can ramble on as much as you like, PROVIDED it doesn't turn into another flipping Jag sounding board. Hell my Buckler would be lucky to get 1/3 of the horsepower, probably nearer 1/4 on a good day.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 06-03-2012 at 01:18 AM.

We all have our limits Oldfart

Yes Oldfart theres to much jousting from those old retired folk on here some of then need to get out and do something usefull.Bucklers please tell me about your car who had it new and who else what gear has it got ect I realise you may have done this allready but not that I know of.they certanly took over from the MGs ect back in the late 50s

Hey Jim, you have put stuff on this thread, have a look back at my starting posts, all your questions will be answered!