Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Race Replica Debate

oops dont no what happend
    Kind regards,
    Gwyn

World Champion
    Hey Ged, I know we are all a bit thick on this thread, but you dont have to repeat your tale 10 times!!!!!!! And, listen up fellas.....we may be looking at the THIRD version of the 'Custaxie' here. Apparently at a meeting in Levin in 1967, the brakes on the Custaxie locked up going into the hairpin and the car ploughed into the bank with such force that a... COMPLETE REBUILD WAS NECESSARY!!!!![contemporary race report]

World Champion
    [QUOTE=Oldfart;7555]I
    When I saw the new one somthing did not click. It just seemed less intimidating or something.
    Sort of like Joe Frazier with a nose job

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    oops dont no what happend
    You can go and edit it.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Hey Ged, I know we are all a bit thick on this thread, but you dont have to repeat your tale 10 times!!!!!!! And, listen up fellas.....we may be looking at the THIRD version of the 'Custaxie' here. Apparently at a meeting in Levin in 1967, the brakes on the Custaxie locked up going into the hairpin and the car ploughed into the bank with such force that a... COMPLETE REBUILD WAS NECESSARY!!!!![contemporary race report]
    A bit of journalistic exageration. It was fairly damaged at the front end, so the front probably needed a rebuild. With 1 or 2 meetings to go and the Championship wrapped up I doubt they would have rebuilt the whole car completely considering its history shortly after. I did take photos of the damage at the time, but they are no longer around.

pallmall im flat out turning this thing on
    Kind regards,
    Gwyn

rod who built that jag. some very clever work, fiberglass doors / frames etc
    Kind regards,
    Gwyn

Semi-Pro Racer
    Hi Gwyn, If you want to do the Fairlane I have the ORIGINAL front brake calipers from that car, The Top Loader case went into my Cortinas, might still be in the MKIV. But hey we dont need all that old stuff to build it, just buy a donor F/Lane out of USA & get stuck in. I think I might have suggested doing something along those lines to Jack Ondrack at some point, but he is happy with the TVR & reckons my ideas are too expensive ( tongue firmly in both cheeks ), anyone want to build it let me know, I have enough info on those cars to get it very close to right, only trouble will be it wont be as slow as it was!!!

What was it called? Well the photo I posted has written underneath in my 16 year old handwriting "Custaxie". This was the GP meeting, and for some reason I have an impression it was almost new at that time. I do know, without doubt, as I have a photo that it did NOT have Colour me gone" on the back the day I took that photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    What was it called? Well the photo I posted has written underneath in my 16 year old handwriting "Custaxie". This was the GP meeting, and for some reason I have an impression it was almost new at that time. I do know, without doubt, as I have a photo that it did NOT have Colour me gone" on the back the day I took that photo.
    I will double check my photos from the first couple of meetings when the car ran at the same meetings as me ,but from memory the car was just plain white in the begining and the number 50 was just roughly hand written,so your photo is possibly from later on at Pukekohe

Ged, Morgan & Oshea. Barry was a great fabricator. Now retired and living in Wanaka. His son builds hot rods in Wanaka. The mighty TNT.

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    I will double check my photos from the first couple of meetings when the car ran at the same meetings as me ,but from memory the car was just plain white in the begining and the number 50 was just roughly hand written,so your photo is possibly from later on at Pukekohe
    If I remember correctly it was just finished in time for Renwick, or maybe NSCC Pukekohe but unpainted and a rough number. I think it may have been the same at the first Levin meet of the season. The 'Colour me Gone' was a bit after the car was properly painted. There are a few photos in threads on here of the car in its rough state. Initially Motorman called it a Ford 7litre in the results and "an ugly 7-litre Galaxie engined Customline monster" in the race reports.

woody barry and i are very good friends i done the running gear a 292 y block chev pistons converted to fully floating pins. engine came out of starline
    .a canadan option. we were only very young men when that car was built. barry still owns it today and has been restored
    Kind regards,
    Gwyn

hi jac I came over to the canam thunder meet at ruapuna a couple of years ago,and there was a tvr tuscon racing. 302ford power very imppessive, is this the car you speak of
    Kind regards,
    Gwyn

re you the one who said, you know where the fairlane is in invercargill.could you tell me where it is, and can we get to it.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Gwyn...If it was white, yep thats the old girl.

Custaxi 50, it is not in Invercargill, I know where it is within about 50 ft horizontally & about 15 ft vertically, current land owners would need to be approached, I know the guy that was driving the dozer, & I know it was absolutely stuffed when it was put there & after 40 years of gravel & corrosion it aint gonna be any better now, it was burnt beyond easy recognition in the fire, even the front calipers took some effort to remove pistons etc due to heat, The Top Loader had been 'Number 8 wired' with bush's replacing the the layshaft needle rollers, really not worth the hassle.

Ged, to my knowledge, Mr McMillan from Metropolitan Cranes owned the car and had Dave Silcock build and run it. When it went to Steve Millen he did a few bits of lightening of some panels and changed colour from blue to maroon (i spent a couple of hours on it during this time). When Steve sold the car I did not see it again for years and that was when Clive Gott appeared in it. It had changed alot in this time. The next time i saw it was years later again when Mike bought it out, and it was great to see. That is why i would love to see any photos or information that anyone has. I noticed a couple of photos in thread "my images" so if anyone has photos/info please send to me. I had a heap of photos but they dissappeared/got lost years ago.

I think the Jag most probably still holds the record for speed and sound from the toll gates on the Auckland harbour bridge to under the Onewa Rd overbridge. This was a popular test in the days. The BM might have been quicker but no noise so doesn't count.

to rod grimwood,the custaxie was on the north shore,-one night it went from the north shore to huntly and back as fast as it would go--and used a gallon of oil-that was a good night could not do that today, someone would be on there cell phone.you say it remand in hot rod circles for a long time .you say you know the owner or someone who does,tell all out here who you think this could be

World Champion
    Rod, the person you need to 'talk' to is of course Jim Short. He will give you chapter and verse on this car.....good and bad!!!!!!!
    Not sure whether you can persuade him to write something on here, but would be good if he could.

Custaxie50: I saw it in Wairau Rd. What engine was in it at this stage.
    I am trying to contact an ex hot rodder from nth shore to try and find out what he may know about goings on. This was awhile back and not sure were he is now but hope to find out.
    Back in those days, alot of cars were on the road legal/illegal at different times, and yes you wouldn't think of it now. Mind you back then a gallon of gas was only couple of bob so times have changed.

I was at a funeral up at Kerikeri on Friday and happened to see 2 brothers who had a bit to do with car in original days. They had a service station and a big boat motor. Under different circumstances I would have had long fact finding conversation, but this will hopefully come at later date.